klavierstucke

Music Fall 2019 applicants

Hey all. I've had a  lot of free time this summer so I figured I'll start the thread for kids applying to Musicology/Composition/Theory etc. grad programs to begin in Fall 2019. Plus I'm curious to know who else is applying! 

I'm applying to musicology phds at the following:

Northwestern, Eastman, Duke, UPenn, Stanford, Brandeis, Cornell, NYU, CUNY, UChicago, Columbia, UCB, Princeton, Yale, Harvard.

May or may not narrow it down, but I've been told to cast a very wide net. My  research interest is 20th century Russian/Soviet music.

My earliest deadline is Eastman, on Nov. 1...only 4 months away!

Let me know whats up!

Edited by klavierstucke

I will be applying to a very similar list as well; hoping for the same acceptances as before and perhaps another option or two as I am not sure where family will end up being and it would be nice to not be a continent away from them. 

Hey there!
I just started my application process for Fall 2019 as well (composition) :)

Trying my shots at Juilliard, Columbia, Yale, NEC, McGill, Northwestern, UChicago & UC Berkeley.

Just had my not-so-glamorous GRE a few days ago... but with all other factors of my application I hope it will be Ok!

Late to the party! Applying to composition programs in Hud, Leeds, Bath SPA. Best of luck with the applications, everyone!

Hi all,

I have a question regarding writing samples that's been weighing heavily on my mind as the application deadlines approach. I earned an MM in musicology from a reputable university, where I initially hoped to work on a project that would be seen as "congruent" with current trends in the field. I was disappointed to find that no faculty members felt up to advising this project, so I was forced to settle on a topic that reflected the interests of my advisor. Unfortunately, the topic and methodology are both pretty dated. As this is the most substantial piece of writing I have, I'm reluctantly using it as a sample for PhD applications. I indicate in my statement that my interests moving forward are entirely different and that this thesis was just an exercise in the fundamentals of research. Another faculty member was hired during the second semester of my final year at my institution who was upset to hear that no one would advise my initial project, and has been guiding me through the application process. She told me she'd indicate in my letter of rec that I wrote the paper simply to satisfy the interests of my advisor and for no other reason. In short, I'm somewhat worried that my application will paint me as an traditionalist, interested in rehashing areas that have been extensively researched. Are my worries justified? Anyone have any opinions about how strongly our samples have to reflect our broader interests? Sorry for the novel of a post! Best of luck to everyone applying this year! Also, I'll be applying to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, and Berkeley. 

Edited by musician94

I don't see anything for you to do about the situation except to apply and hope for the best. So someone telling you whether or not you are justified to worry just isn't productive.  And how could we know how much they'll care, especially without knowing the specific topics/how strong your writing is/other features of your application?  

So my advice to you: best of luck!