2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

On 11/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, QuothTheRaven said:

Thanks for the helpful advice! :) 
Yes the SOP seems to be the deal breaker. I think most people are over confident about the SOP and hence don't really give it time and attention but the adcomms do. 

The SOP should be individualized for each program and explain why you are applying to that program, what you can bring, and what they can give to you to help you grow as a scientist, independent researcher, etc.  And yes, you should have at least 3-5 faculty you would be willing to work with at each school you apply to.  I think you have a shot with your background at the schools you listed but it's always good to have a range of places to apply to.  I know for UWMadison, there are about 8 programs here that waived the requirements for the GRE if you are at all worried about that--but I also heard for my program, we are getting more applicants than in previous years because we waived the requirement.  If you have any questions about the programs at Madison feel free to PM me! 

Hello everyone,

Please help!! I am unsure of my qualifications and looking for some feedback on my list of schools/programs. I am interested in studying cell/matrix interactions, cell shape and polarity, and tissue morphogenesis and patterning.

Undergrad Institution: Top UC

Major(s): MCDB
Minor(s): Biomedical Research
GPA in Major: 3.942
Overall GPA: 3.859
Position in Class: Currently qualify for Magna Cum Laude (top 10%)
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163 (93%)
V: 163 (83%)
W: 4 (59%)

Research Experience: 

2 yrs (3 by PhD entry) in epithelial biology lab - 20 hrs/week during the school year and 2 full-time summers, 40 hrs/week

[Working independently for 2/3 years]

One manuscript submitted for review (second author), one in preparation (co-first), two poster presentations, one departmental seminar talk, completing an honors thesis now

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: College Honors, Dean's Honors List all quarters since sophomore year, Departmental Honors (upon thesis completion)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Work-study job in same lab during my freshman year

Special Bonus Points: Expect very strong letter from my PI, strong letter from faculty member familiar with my work, and solid letter from faculty part of minor

Applying to Where:

MIT Biology

UCSF Tetrad

Stanford Biosciences

UC Davis BMCDB

UW MCB

Vanderbilt IGP BBS

UNC Chapel Hill  BBSP

Thank you in advance for your input!

Does anyone have any thoughts on applying to multiple programs at the same school? One of my schools allows up to three programs to be applied for with one application and most of the faculty I'm interested in are listed in multiple departments.  I've read that this can make an applicant seem unfocused however, so I'm not sure if I should turn in more than one.

14 hours ago, Madison17 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on applying to multiple programs at the same school? One of my schools allows up to three programs to be applied for with one application and most of the faculty I'm interested in are listed in multiple departments.  I've read that this can make an applicant seem unfocused however, so I'm not sure if I should turn in more than one.

I'd talk to the admissions coordinator about your situation. They'll be able to tell you what's normal for their program, plus that'll mean that at least one person is looking out for your application.

15 hours ago, Madison17 said:

My school does this.  From what my program coordinator told me, there are students that definitely apply to more than one program, and you can alter your SOP and LORs to fit an additional application.  Students may get interviews at 2 of 3 programs, but interviews at all 3 is uncommon.  I would reach out to a program coordinator to make sure you're going through the process correctly if you are unsure.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, StemCellFan said:

The SOP should be individualized for each program and explain why you are applying to that program, what you can bring, and what they can give to you to help you grow as a scientist, independent researcher, etc.  And yes, you should have at least 3-5 faculty you would be willing to work with at each school you apply to.  I think you have a shot with your background at the schools you listed but it's always good to have a range of places to apply to.  I know for UWMadison, there are about 8 programs here that waived the requirements for the GRE if you are at all worried about that--but I also heard for my program, we are getting more applicants than in previous years because we waived the requirement.  If you have any questions about the programs at Madison feel free to PM me! 

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. :)
A lot of places have dropped the GRE requirement this year: which is SUCH a relief but then maybe that will lead to even more competitive applications so it's a catch-22. 
What about industry placement after graduation at UWMadison? And how interdisciplinary are the programs?? 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, QuothTheRaven said:

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. :)
A lot of places have dropped the GRE requirement this year: which is SUCH a relief but then maybe that will lead to even more competitive applications so it's a catch-22. 
What about industry placement after graduation at UWMadison? And how interdisciplinary are the programs?? 

For your first question, I'm in a program somewhat geared towards industry (Pharm/Tox) so placement in my program might be skewed compared to general Cell and Molecular Biology or Genetics, for example.  For my program it's about 40% postdoc/academia and 60% industry or other non-academic science careers.  Industry positions range from scientists to project management or clinical development.  I think most of my cohort, myself included, want to go into industry afterwards.

The programs themselves are highly interdisciplinary.  In my Pharm/Tox program there are trainers who range from neurodevelopment to drug discovery/drug design.  There are a wide range of faculty trainers and they will recruit from different programs, so that also means that in a lab, there may be graduate students from different programs there working on projects.  It's also really easy for a faculty member to become a trainer for a program if a student is interested in rotating with them.  My coursework is geared towards my program, but the electives add a bit of diversity.

Undergrad Institution: top 3 in my country
Major(s): Cell and Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.55
Overall GPA: 3.39
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?) third quarter
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) male latino

Q: 154
V: 144
W: 3.5

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

2.5 years as an undergrad, one summer program 2 years as a technician. oral/posters in 2 national meetings and over 9 local; 2 pub in preparation. hopefully a third one next year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

deans honor list, LSAMP scholar, ASBMB, AMSA and AAAS member since 2014 involved in many activities.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

tutor in biochemistry and in molecular genetics, 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Took graduate courses as an undergrad. took 3 advanced (level 5000) courses as well. 

MS in Molecular Microbiology

GPA: 4.0

additional research project

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

NYU Sackler

UT Southwestern

UCF

Rockefeller

UPENN

Undergrad Institution: top 25-40
Major(s): Cell biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.65
Overall GPA: 3.65

Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) White guy

Didn't take

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

3 years as undergrad, 1.5 years full time as masters student. Amgen summer scholar at top 5 university in a nobel prize lab, but only met PI once and didn't ask for a recommendation. No pubs, 1 has been in writing stage for a year and is moving unbelievably slowly. 5 poster presentations and given lecture at department

Phi Sigma society, Dean's list for about 1/3 of college quarters, grant for masters study

Tutoring high school students for a year in college

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Two of my recommenders were my PI for at least 1 year and are very well-known/famous in their respective fields. I expect all 3 recommendations to be very strong

Contact with professors at about half of programs im applying to. Encouraged to apply by PIs at 4 programs

MS in cell biology at Oxbridge

GPA: None, was just a research degree

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS, Stanford Biosciences, Berkeley MCB, UCSF Tetrad, Penn, NYU, Columbia

Am wondering thoughts as I am only planning on applying to top programs, and am hoping I didn't overshoot and if I don't get in am in a very awkward position as I would prefer not to take more time before starting a PhD. Didn't really go over list with anyone before making it.

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian University
Major(s): honours life sciences
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class: topish?
Type of Student: gay East Asian Canadian woman

Q: 90%
V: 98%
W: 92%
B: didn’t take

Research Experience: 

1.5 yr natural product biosynthesis

4 months of full time summer immunology research at a different university; one poster presentation 

8 months  virology research - 4 months full time in the summer, 30hrs /week during the school year; one manuscript in prep, second author

deans honour list 

faculty of science scholarship 

LOTS of leadership experience, both in student government and non profit orgs, but not sure how much they matter

Gay woman, but not mentioned on any app besides NYU 

Applying to Where:

Scripps 

UWashington microbiology 

Harvard bbs

U Pitt PMI

Columbia CMBS

U Mass GSBS

NYU Sackler

Rockefeller 

Honestly it’s too late now to change schools, but just wanted to toss my profile out there to hear what people think!

Undergrad InstitutionThe City College of New York
Major: Computer Science
Minor: Economics
GPA: 3.4
GRE Scores: 156 Q / 157 V--> will have to retake :( 

Research Experience: 

NYU Center for Urban Science + Progress (2 years)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  
Dean's List for all semesters in college, 3 scholarships

Relevant Internships & Jobs:

Viacom, Data Science Intern (Fall 2018)

Boeing, Data Science Intern (Summer 2018)

Bank of America, Technology Analyst Intern (Fall 2017)

Applying to:

NYU, MS in Data Science

NYU CUSP, MS in Applied Urban Science and Informatics 

Columbia, MS in Data Science

CUNY Graduate Center, MS in Data Science 

Northwestern, MS in Analytics

USC, MS in Computer Science, Data Science

Would love any feedback or advice! I know that my GPA is pretty low for these programs and I need to get a MUCH higher score on the GREs. 

Undergrad Institution: State school with a strong reputation in biochemistry
Major(s): Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, and Mathematics
Minor(s): Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.61
Type of Student: Gay, hispanic male

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 161/77%
V: 170/99%
W: 5.0/92%

Research Experience: Three summers in a cell biology lab at the state school's medical campus starting while I was still in high school. I used techniques like IF, confocal microscopy, cloning, etc. One publication where I am third author.

One academic year in a cell biology lab at my college. I worked on an independent project where I designed and expressed a variety of fusion proteins to get at the functional domain of the protein of interest. Project ended when my PI took off to become dean of a school in another state.

I spent the following summer in an RNA biology lab focusing on the relationship between transcription and splicing using RNA-seq. I was awarded a competitive internship to fund that summer and I gave a talk on my research at the end.

I did an REU (competitive) in Mathematics at my university, where I focused on functional analysis, geometry, and nonlinear partial differential equations.

I have over two years in my current lab, which researches RNA biology, the integrated stress response, and neurodegeneration. I have worked on two projects, where I independently conceived and designed the second project. In my first project, I used RNA-seq to identify viruses. My current project involves lots of in vitro biochemistry, cell biology, and advanced imaging and analysis techniques. I independently design, execute, and analyze experiments, as well as make figures and write. I am writing a first author paper which I hope to submit by year end. I am collaborating with other lab members on another paper that will be submitted soon as well. I should be second author or even co-first author depending on how much time I can devote to it. I am writing my honors thesis on my work in those two manuscripts. I recently gave a 30 min talk on my research.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Alumni association scholarship, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Mu Epsilon

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I spent a year as a private tutor and a semester as a grader for a partial differential equations class

Special Bonus Points: My PI is very well-known and well-liked, and apparently he wrote an outstanding rec letter (I haven't seen it though). He's also an HHMI investigator. One of my former PIs is now a Dean at another school, and similarly is well-known (he's another letter writer). My final letter writer is another former PI, who is big in the transcription field. I'm interested in doing research in RNA biology and neurodegeneration, and my letter-writers are well-connected. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have taken multiple grad level classes in differential geometry and organic synthesis. I have been Team Captain of my mock trial team for two years running.

Applying to Where:

- Stanford Biochemistry

- UC Berkeley MCB

- UCSF Tetrad

- Harvard MCO

- MIT Biology

- Columbia Biological Sciences

I worry that I'm aiming too high given my lack of publication and relatively weak GPA and test scores, though.

I know my GPA is relatively low, and I know that is not the most important thing in admissions, but I am wondering if I aimed too high given this. I know my professors very well (small school)  so my reccs will be very good and personal, but just have no idea what kind of chances I'm looking at. I explained my low GPA in my essays. I am from a underfunded high school, but go to a very competitive university, and my GPA has improved every semester (mostly A's) It was just my first semester that was really bad.

Undergrad Institution: Liberal arts school in US, I would say very good research program but its all undergrads
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with honors
Minor(s): Mathematics, Integrated Science
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.52
Position in Class:  Probably near top? unsure
Type of Student: Female, domestic 

GRE Scores
Q: 161 (77%) It was a bad test day... ?
V: 162 (91%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

Independent research project in a molecular biology lab since my freshman year (3 years, including 3 summers) hopefully 1st author, but still in progress.. its a yeast lab so it takes a while to publish.

So far 1 conference in fall 2018 (regional), attending ASBMB in the spring.

Presenting my honors thesis in the spring

Also pre freshman year internship at this university funded by HHMI called the integrated science experience, looking to increase inclusion/ representation in the sciences. Worked in a biophysics lab for 5 weeks.

• 2018  Research Award in Biology, recognizing a “junior or senior biology major for the most outstanding research proposal for summer research” 
  • 2018 BMB Junior Research Award, recognizing “a junior BMB major who demonstrates outstanding research performance and dedication”
  • 2018 Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
  • 2018 invited to Phi Beta Delta, International Honor Society
  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Honors Program and Honors Thesis

All within school

I TA an intermediate Biology lab.

I tutor organic chemistry, calculus and biology in my school's Academic Skills Center

Editor-in-chief of my university's science magazine

One of my recommenders (not my research advisor) who i know very well has a lot of connection at the schools I am applying to.

My personal statement is very unique/compelling (not my words, my professor's) so it has a good hook. It's personal/very unique and identifying so I don't want to put that info online.

Applying to Where:

UNC BBSP 

Vanderbilt IGP

CU Boulder MCDB & IQ Biology

UW Madison CMB and genetics

Duke CMB

UT Southwestern Biological Science 

St. Jude Biomedical Sciences PhD

University of Utah Molecular Biology

Edited by MMM7

17 hours ago, MMM7 said:

I know my GPA is relatively low, and I know that is not the most important thing in admissions, but I am wondering if I aimed too high given this. I know my professors very well (small school)  so my reccs will be very good and personal, but just have no idea what kind of chances I'm looking at. I explained my low GPA in my essays. I am from a underfunded high school, but go to a very competitive university, and my GPA has improved every semester (mostly A's) It was just my first semester that was really bad.

Undergrad Institution: Liberal arts school in US, I would say very good research program but its all undergrads
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with honors
Minor(s): Mathematics, Integrated Science
GPA in Major: 3.7
Position in Class:  Probably near top? unsure
Type of Student: Female, domestic 

GRE Scores
Q: 161 (77%) It was a bad test day... ?
V: 162 (91%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

Independent research project in a molecular biology lab since my freshman year (3 years, including 3 summers) hopefully 1st author, but still in progress.. its a yeast lab so it takes a while to publish.

So far 1 conference in fall 2018 (regional), attending ASBMB in the spring.

Presenting my honors thesis in the spring

Also pre freshman year internship at this university funded by HHMI called the integrated science experience, looking to increase inclusion/ representation in the sciences. Worked in a biophysics lab for 5 weeks.

• 2018  Research Award in Biology, recognizing a “junior or senior biology major for the most outstanding research proposal for summer research” 
  • 2018 BMB Junior Research Award, recognizing “a junior BMB major who demonstrates outstanding research performance and dedication”
  • 2018 Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
  • 2018 invited to Phi Beta Delta, International Honor Society
  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Honors Program and Honors Thesis

All within school

I TA an intermediate Biology lab.

I tutor organic chemistry, calculus and biology in my school's Academic Skills Center

Editor-in-chief of my university's science magazine

One of my recommenders (not my research advisor) who i know very well has a lot of connection at the schools I am applying to.

My personal statement is very unique/compelling (not my words, my professor's) so it has a good hook. It's personal/very unique and identifying so I don't want to put that info online.

Applying to Where:

UNC BBSP 

Vanderbilt IGP

CU Boulder MCDB & IQ Biology

UW Madison CMB and genetics

Duke CMB

UT Southwestern Biological Science 

St. Jude Biomedical Sciences PhD

University of Utah Molecular Biology

Just my opinion, but I don't think you should be worried. I would'nt have been surprised if you applied to even more competitive schools with your record tbh. This is from seeing how similar profiles to you have done- you probably wont get all the interviews bc it all depends on what each school is looking for this cycle, but I would be fairly confidant in having 3+ interviews. I had a friend with a slight higher gpa, much lower GRE and less research get into that Vanderbilt program last year.

Undergrad Institution: large public R1
Major(s): Neuroscience and Molecular Genetics (double major)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.99
Overall GPA: 3.99

Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) Domestic female, not minority

166Q/167V

4 years as an undergrad, including an honors thesis which is now in prep as a 1st-author manuscript. Also published 3 lit review papers (one as 1st author). Spent one summer at a research internship in Switzerland. Currently a postbac research fellow at NIH, patent application in prep. Also have an invited book chapter in prep. Several conference presentations including 1 national.

Goldwater Scholar, Astronaut Scholar, ThinkSwiss Fellow, Nu Rho Psi, several assorted research fellowships from my university

Freelance Science Writer
Editor-in-Chief of an international undergraduate research journal
Started my own science blog
President of a student org related to my research area
Tutor for a Neurogenetics course

I know programming which is somewhat unusual for my field.

My internship advisor in Switzerland did his postdoc with one of the faculty members I'm interested in at MIT. That advisor is not one of my recommenders though.

Applying to Where:

• Stanford Neuroscience
  • UCSD Biomedical Science
  • UCSD Neuroscience
  • UNC Chapel Hill BBSP
  • MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences
  • Harvard Neuroscience
  • UCSF Biomedical Science
  • Scripps Research Institute
  • NIH/Johns Hopkins joint program
  • U Penn Neuroscience
  • Boston U Neuroscience
Edited by maya123z

Would anyone find it helpful to create a separate thread just for interviews? Looking back through previous years, I felt it would have been more helpful to have a thread dedicated to just interview notifications with stats, with the discussions and questions staying in this main thread. Thoughts? 

Does anyone know if the Johns Hopkins CMDB or Caltech Biology PhD programs have an interview component? I don't see information about interviews anywhere on their respective admissions websites, but I would be surprised if they didn't at least provide some sort of campus visit.

20 hours ago, leecy77 said:

Would anyone find it helpful to create a separate thread just for interviews? Looking back through previous years, I felt it would have been more helpful to have a thread dedicated to just interview notifications with stats, with the discussions and questions staying in this main thread. Thoughts? 

There is a results function in the forums just for that. See the tabs at the top of the webpage. You can search through previous years to see when notifications came out, the stats of the applicant, and other notes that they wanted to include.

21 hours ago, leecy77 said:

It would be useful for creating a list of interview dates. 2016 had one like that, which was useful for coordinating which interview dates to pick. Not all the interview dates that showed up in the thread also showed up in the results.

Please, any thoughts?

I applied to several PhD programs in Molecular Biology to focus in control of gene expression. As an undergrad I researched in gene regulation for 2.5 years without summer project, just that experience. Now I am a lab tech (for almost 2 years) in neurobiology and also did a summer internship (2 months) in neurobiology.

Would that affect me if I applied to Molecular Biology programs but most of my experience is from a different field (Neuro)?

Thank you

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Science, Technology, and Society; biomedical sciences concentration
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.85
Type of Student: Domestic; white; female

Research Experience: 

- 2 years at MGH in high school on innate immunity (1 poster)

- 4 years in honors research program on cancer biology (3 publications, second author on 2 --> Cell Stem Cell; Gastroenterology; Genes and Development)

- Projects at Boston Children's Hospital in 2009, 2016 (Published in Politico), 2018

- Project at Harvard Medical School/Brigham and Women's Hospital (Published in JAMA, 2 blogs in Health Affairs)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

- Dean's List (3 years)

- Honors Research Program

- Distinction in Major

- Intel Semi-Finalist

Special Bonus Points: 

- Masters of Bioethics from Ivy (GPA: 3.97)

- 4 letters of recommendation that are strong (3 Ivy League; 1 National Academy of Sciences PI)

- Applying to Harvard BBS (1 recommender is faculty)

- Applying to UPenn Biology (1 recommender is ex-faculty; 1 is current faculty but not in the medical school)

- Took Chemistry I and II; Physics I and II with B+, A-, A, A

- Re-took Bio 1 and 2 with A's in both

- Withdrew from Calculus and Physics in college

Applying to Where:

Harvard - DMS - BBS
Harvard - GSAS - Molecular and Cellular Biology
Brandeis - Molecular Biology

MIT - Biology
MIT - Systems Biology
BU - Biology

BU - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry
Yale - Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Brown - Biology

Columbia - Biological Sciences
Weill Cornell - Molecular Biology
UPenn - Biology

UPenn - Medical - Biomedical Graduate
NYU - Sackler
Tufts - GSAS - Biology

Tufts - Sackler - Basic Science
UMass Worcester - Cancer Biology
Northeastern - Bouve - Biomedical Sciences

University of New Hampshire - Molecular and Evolutionary Systems Biology
University of Rhode Island - Biological and Environmental Sciences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only sent my GREs to schools that required them as my verbal and writing were > 90%ile but math wasn't great. Do we think it will hurt me that I didn't send them to schools where it's optional? I know I'm applying to a ton of programs but just trying to cover my bases!

2 hours ago, Monochrome Spring said:

There is a results function in the forums just for that. See the tabs at the top of the webpage. You can search through previous years to see when notifications came out, the stats of the applicant, and other notes that they wanted to include.

Oh my gosh, I completely missed that. Thank you!