2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

9 hours ago, Manilo said:

Please, any thoughts?

I applied to several PhD programs in Molecular Biology to focus in control of gene expression. As an undergrad I researched in gene regulation for 2.5 years without summer project, just that experience. Now I am a lab tech (for almost 2 years) in neurobiology and also did a summer internship (2 months) in neurobiology.

Would that affect me if I applied to Molecular Biology programs but most of my experience is from a different field (Neuro)?

Thank you

Hi Manilo!

I think it wouldn't count against you. Neurobio and MCB are pretty related (unlike research in archaeology vs. MCB)! Plus, most graduate programs want to see that you 1) know what you're getting into 2) have a passion for research 3) have creative/critical thinking skills. These things aren't limited to a certain field! If your LORs from your neurobio labs are good then I think you are fine! :) 

If you're really worried about it, you can talk about your different research experience in your SOP - as a benefit. You can talk about different techniques you learned, or things that are the same, or even how your different research experience made you realize you want to focus in MCB! There are tons of ways to spin it in a positive direction~ (but maybe you already turned in your SOP.... sorry!)

Hope that helps!

On 12/4/2018 at 10:08 AM, biophys123 said:

Does anyone know if the Johns Hopkins CMDB or Caltech Biology PhD programs have an interview component? I don't see information about interviews anywhere on their respective admissions websites, but I would be surprised if they didn't at least provide some sort of campus visit.

Hi @biophys123

I know someone who applied to Biology Ph.D. and did an interview. Since he applied as an international student he did a Skype interview and then flew out to do an in-person interview.

11 hours ago, yash13177 said:

Hi Manilo!

I think it wouldn't count against you. Neurobio and MCB are pretty related (unlike research in archaeology vs. MCB)! Plus, most graduate programs want to see that you 1) know what you're getting into 2) have a passion for research 3) have creative/critical thinking skills. These things aren't limited to a certain field! If your LORs from your neurobio labs are good then I think you are fine! :) 

If you're really worried about it, you can talk about your different research experience in your SOP - as a benefit. You can talk about different techniques you learned, or things that are the same, or even how your different research experience made you realize you want to focus in MCB! There are tons of ways to spin it in a positive direction~ (but maybe you already turned in your SOP.... sorry!)

Hope that helps!

I appreciate your message. Thank you very much

Undergrad Institution: top 3 in country
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.93
Overall GPA: 3.93

Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) International white female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Verbal: 164
Quant: 164
Written: 5.0

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
2.5 years as undergrad, molecular neurobiology and then neuroimaging. No pubs, finalist at small undergrad conference.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)
Dean's Honour List, faculty scholarships, external company scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)
TA for undergraduate physics & neuroethics courses

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
Honours program

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
Neuroimaging grad class

Applying to Where:

Stanford Biosciences
Berkeley Neuro

UCSF Neuro
MIT Brain & Cognitive Science
Weill Cornell Neuro
UPenn Neuro

Feeling like I overshot a bit, but also applied to a few schools domestically as a backup

Edited by veldter

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 Liberal Arts College
Major(s): Biology and Mathematics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: 1/~500
Type of Student: International male

Q: 170
V: 160
W: 5.5

Research Experience: 

• 1.5 years of microbial evolution (computational) at school. Finalizing analyses right now
  • 2 years of systems biology (computational) starting in summer 2017 but continued the research remotely. First-author publication under review
  • 1.5 years of evolutionary theory research somewhere else, but also continued remotely. First-author publication in prep
  • Summer experience (experimental + computational) in a super famous lab in microbial evolutionary genetics

LORs

Got to read one of mine--really good. People from a summer program admissions at Princeton told me that my other two recommendations were extremely strong. Also got another one from the famous lab I worked in.

SOP

Not sure--included a specific potential research topic (might be a good or a bad thing)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)
- Multiple fellowships and awards (~12 school-wide awards in total) from school

- Summer fellowship
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)
- TA for 100-, 200-, and 300-level biology and math courses

- Math tutor for college and high school students

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help

I don't think so

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...): 

From an under-represented country in science , other related minority status too, and strong connection with two top grad programs I am applying to

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Straight from undergrad (don't know if it's good or bad either)

Applying to Where:

Princeton EEB; Harvard, OEB; UChicago, Microbiology; MIT, Microbiology; MIT-WHOI Joint Program; Columbia, Biology; UCSD-Scripps; CSHL; Caltech, Geobiology; Stanford, Biology (could've applied to mid-tier programs, but most have VERY limited funding for international students sadly--I understand my chance is really slim and am quite freaking out right now).

Hi,

I am currently in a Microbiology program in a small college. Currently I have a 4.0 GPA and as an undergrad I had a 3.55 major GPA and 3.39 overall GPA. This small MS program may not be known to top universities like Rockefeller and UPENN, but it has provided me with relevant coursework and an additional research project. Would this be significant enough to compensate for the low scores as an undergrad.? even when the school may not be highly ranked? 

I aimed at Sackler-NYU, Rockefeller, UT Southwestern, UPENN, UC Berkley, Weill Cornell, MIT, UCSD and Columbia.

I'm not in a professional position to answer, but here are just my 2 cents:

I believe it depends on the quality and "fitness" of those research project. I personally think fitness of background with the potential POI is a very important factor. I personally won't treat 3.55 major as a really low GPA (not sure about the case in the US, but in HK it could just be that you perform only slightly worse than 2-5 people who get A and A- that result in you a B+, given that the program is small). Of course, I have a major GPA of only 3.491 so maybe I'm biased on this. I did get the MPhil/PhD offer from my undergrad school with only 3.281 (overall) /3.491 (major) GPA even with a field transition (CMB -> CS). I guess the key is that I have done something directly related to the work of my POI and proved my ability to do research. If you happen to get some publication or manuscript in prep, I believe it would be quite helpful.

Well... I do hope it's this case....I'm now applying to PhD program and facing this situation again....Hope I can get some interview (unfortunately I'm an international...)...

5 hours ago, Manilo said:

Hi,

I am currently in a Microbiology program in a small college. Currently I have a 4.0 GPA and as an undergrad I had a 3.55 major GPA and 3.39 overall GPA. This small MS program may not be known to top universities like Rockefeller and UPENN, but it has provided me with relevant coursework and an additional research project. Would this be significant enough to compensate for the low scores as an undergrad.? even when the school may not be highly ranked? 

I aimed at Sackler-NYU, Rockefeller, UT Southwestern, UPENN, UC Berkley, Weill Cornell, MIT, UCSD and Columbia.

That's not a low GPA. Your question depends say more on your relevant experience. 

18 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

That's not a low GPA. Your question depends say more on your relevant experience. 

Thanks for your message. I like to say me research were pretty relevant. 2.5 years as an undergrad in regulation of gene expression, where I presented in local and national meetings and have a manuscript in preparation as a second author. Since may 2017 Ive been a research technician, I had a summer research experience both with possible manuscripts that will be sent to pub this year. 

Hi everyone. Generally, is it very frowned upon to back out of an interview? I was offered an interview today for one of my applications. It's for a good program, but there are a number on my list I prefer that I haven't heard from yet. Would it be really impolite and bad to register for the interview and then, if a conflict arises, back out later? Thanks!

14 hours ago, BATW said:

Hi everyone. Generally, is it very frowned upon to back out of an interview? I was offered an interview today for one of my applications. It's for a good program, but there are a number on my list I prefer that I haven't heard from yet. Would it be really impolite and bad to register for the interview and then, if a conflict arises, back out later? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I just emailed the school to ask if they can extend the RSVP deadline while I wait to hear from other schools. If they say no, then I will probably just accept the interview and then cancel later if I end up having a conflict. I'm sure the school doesn't love losing money on canceled flights, but there's really nothing else we can do.

Edit: Just got an email back. They said I can extend my RSVP deadline until Dec 14 (previously was Dec 10).

Edited by maya123z

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 Liberal Arts College
Major(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.44
Overall GPA: 3.29
Position in Class: top half, at least? not struggling
Type of Student: multi-racial woman

GRE Scores :
Q: 166 (90)
V: 159 (83)
W: 5 (92)

Research Experience: 

Microbiology research two summers before college, ecology research 1 year in college, two summers of evodevo research, 2 years in college

3rd/4 authors on a nature paper, 2nd/3 authors on another paper

Awards/Honors/Recognitions

Only undergrad invited to speak in best student session in my division at an international conference

best undergraduate poster at annual conference

best student poster at international conference

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Student Government Vice President
Residential Life Head

Special Bonus Points: 
One famous recommender, one well-known recommender, one from college advisor - all very strong

Spent the summer as a course assistant and met/networked/drank with leading PIs in the field and a lot of my scientific idols

Applying to Where: (all with a focus in developmental biology)

Harvard OEB

MIT Biology

UChicago Molecular Biosciences

Duke Biology

UCSF Developmental and Stem Cell Biology

I got an email yesterday with an invitation to interview for UChi's program! I'm surprised by how quick the turn around was and also relieved because I was starting to think I shouldn't have done all reach schools

Edited by saltlamp

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this year's grads school admissions yet, so I'm creating this topic for everyone to communicate and discuss their chances as well as admissions results. I copied the template as the following from last year:

Undergrad Institution: Very small not notable city university. 
Major(s): Biology/Microbiology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA:3.5
Position in Class: ... no freaking idea
Type of Student: Domestic lady wannabe scientist

Q: 152
V: 162
W: 3.5

I took this thing after walking in the freezing rain for twenty minutes. I was soaked and cold. If I don't get in, I can definitely blame these scores for a start.

Research Experience: 3 years at my school on more than one project, two summers at MD Anderson

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List, Honors, lots of merit scholarships

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Won grant to teach nutrition classes in a low-income area of the city; Two publications in the school science journal; several poster presentations; selected to do an honors project. 

Special Bonus Points: Hispanic, Nontraditional, Female, Single Mom, First in college

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Ummmm... I'm not a felon?

Applying to Where:

In all cases, my research interest is the development of the microbiome in response to lifestyle and socioeconomic factors. 

University of Colorado- Denver; Biomedical Sciences; 

Vanderbilt University; IGP;

Baylor College of Medicine; Microbiology;

Washington University; Microbiology.

Got an interview at Wisconsin-Madison Genetics Training Program and a 15 minute Skype interview at Emory Genetics and Molecular Biology. If anyone knows what the Emory interview means please let me know lol

Hey fellowmates,

I have applied for Fall 2019 for PhD in USA universities in the subjects of Life / Biological / Biomedical Sciences or Biosciences. I will be glad if you will submit your decisions, thoughts and stats here below. It would give a glimpse and idea to others about admissions. (Even I will do it.) As you know, that GRE is not required since this year onwards for Fall 2019, I would advise you not to write that below.

Good luck to all.

5 minutes ago, Ayub2306 said:

Hey fellowmates,

I have applied for Fall 2019 for PhD in USA universities in the subjects of Life / Biological / Biomedical Sciences or Biosciences. I will be glad if you will submit your decisions, thoughts and stats here below. It would give a glimpse and idea to others about admissions. (Even I will do it.) As you know, that GRE is not required since this year onwards for Fall 2019, I would advise you not to write that below.

Feel free to post your questions below.

Good luck to all.

IT WILL HAPPEN!

10 hours ago, aiyaaa said:

Got an interview at Wisconsin-Madison Genetics Training Program and a 15 minute Skype interview at Emory Genetics and Molecular Biology. If anyone knows what the Emory interview means please let me know lol

I have a 15 min Skype interview with Caltech tomorrow. As far as I can tell, it's just a pre-screening to make sure you didn't lie on your app and you're not a weirdo.

9 minutes ago, thinhtran said:

There are a couple of interview invites from Yale BBS in the Results section -- anyone knows if they're done sending invites?

Yale neuro historically doesnt send invites until Jan 3rd

4 minutes ago, thinhtran said:

There are a couple of interview invites from Yale BBS in the Results section -- anyone knows if they're done sending invites?

Hi!

I noticed those too. Since the BBS is an umbrella program it's likely that some tracks make their decisions before others. I noticed that the results posted were mostly from Immunology. So fingers crossed!