2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

Does which interview weekend you're invited to have anything to do with the rank of your app, and if you ask to come to a later interview weekend (although they only offered the first weekend) will that hurt your chance of getting in?

I saw someone in the results was invited to the Mayo interview Feb. weekend. I was offered the Jan. interview weekend at Mayo without even knowing there were two interview weekends. I was offered a concurrent interview at the University where I work; they also only offered the Jan. weekend (same as Mayo), but I know there's a second weekend from faculty here and asked the program director to come the 2nd weekend so I could go to both interviews. Why are schools only offering one? Is it okay that I asked for the second weekend?

26 minutes ago, sydber said:

Does which interview weekend you're invited to have anything to do with the rank of your app, and if you ask to come to a later interview weekend (although they only offered the first weekend) will that hurt your chance of getting in?

I saw someone in the results was invited to the Mayo interview Feb. weekend. I was offered the Jan. interview weekend at Mayo without even knowing there were two interview weekends. I was offered a concurrent interview at the University where I work; they also only offered the Jan. weekend (same as Mayo), but I know there's a second weekend from faculty here and asked the program director to come the 2nd weekend so I could go to both interviews. Why are schools only offering one? Is it okay that I asked for the second weekend?

Which track at Mayo were you invited for?

40 minutes ago, glialstar said:

Which track at Mayo were you invited for?

It appeared to have nothing to do with my track (I applied with immuno as primary and neuro as secondary), but said that the director of my primary may be contacting me. So I'm assuming that I'm interviewing for the immunology track.

2 hours ago, MLC2019 said:

I've seen multiple posts about UCSF iPQB in the results link. Has anyone heard back from Tetrad?

Also saw posts about UCSF... I applied for UCSF Neuro....anxious to hear back..........

13 hours ago, yash13177 said:

Also saw posts about UCSF... I applied for UCSF Neuro....anxious to hear back..........

Me too..... I don't know if I should e-mail them next Monday to see if they are done with sending invitations if I don't hear back from them till then.....

I'm hella nervous y'all! I am a terrible test taker (I'm dyslexic) but my research experience is good (undergrad, grad, and full-time industry). I'm applying to immunology and molecular bio programs. I hope that at least one school says, "hey! she sucks at taking tests so her grades suck but she's proven her research ability!"

Undergrad Institution: UC
Major(s): Neuroscience
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.0
Position in Class:  don't know
Type of Student: Female, African, low income, U.S.-based

Graduate Institution: State school
Major(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.5

GRE Scores
Q: 157
V: 161
W: 3.5

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

• 3 years in undergraduate (1 pub with a well-known PI)
    • Presented work at national conference
  • 3 years of graduate research with published M.S. thesis.
    • Presented thesis work orally at ASBMB and other regional conferences.
  • 2 years as a research scientist at Amgen specializing in immuno-oncology drugs (current role). Promoted to position that Ph.D.-holders typically have.
    • Two pending pubs from this role.
    • Presented work at national conferences.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

• Two research scholarships in undergrad
  • Two academic scholarships in undergrad
  • One research scholarship in master's program
  • One academic scholarship in master's program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

• TA for general chemistry for 3 years
  • Taught 3rd grade for 1 year during gap year
  • Research scientist at Amgen

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

• Female minority, M.S. degree, promoted within industry research science role.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

• ummmm..... Do admission committees ding you for saying you have dyslexia?

Applying to Where:

• UCSF
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UCI
  • UC Davis
  • USC
  • Boston U
  • NYU Sackler
  • City of Hope
  • OHSU
  • UC Berkeley
  • U of Rochester

I am curious as well about Vanderbilt IGP. I have not seen anyone post results about the program but their website states they start reviewing every Monday starting December 1st?

Also, I applied to UNC and have not heard back. Not feeling to great after seeing two big round of interviews go out.

6 hours ago, coffeebeforebed_ said:

I'm hella nervous y'all! I am a terrible test taker (I'm dyslexic) but my research experience is good (undergrad, grad, and full-time industry). I'm applying to immunology and molecular bio programs. I hope that at least one school says, "hey! she sucks at taking tests so her grades suck but she's proven her research ability!"

Undergrad Institution: UC
Major(s): Neuroscience
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.0
Position in Class:  don't know
Type of Student: Female, African, low income, U.S.-based

Graduate Institution: State school
Major(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.5

GRE Scores
Q: 157
V: 161
W: 3.5

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

• 3 years in undergraduate (1 pub with a well-known PI)
    • Presented work at national conference
  • 3 years of graduate research with published M.S. thesis.
    • Presented thesis work orally at ASBMB and other regional conferences.
  • 2 years as a research scientist at Amgen specializing in immuno-oncology drugs (current role). Promoted to position that Ph.D.-holders typically have.
    • Two pending pubs from this role.
    • Presented work at national conferences.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

• Two research scholarships in undergrad
  • Two academic scholarships in undergrad
  • One research scholarship in master's program
  • One academic scholarship in master's program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

• TA for general chemistry for 3 years
  • Taught 3rd grade for 1 year during gap year
  • Research scientist at Amgen

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

• Female minority, M.S. degree, promoted within industry research science role.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

• ummmm..... Do admission committees ding you for saying you have dyslexia?

Applying to Where:

• UCSF
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UCI
  • UC Davis
  • USC
  • Boston U
  • NYU Sackler
  • City of Hope
  • OHSU
  • UC Berkeley
  • U of Rochester

Hi! I do cog neuro stuff so i cant speak to academic aspects of your program of interest, but if you have any questions about Rochester I went there for undergrad and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the university/city!  

I'm very on pins and needles... Penn CAMB is my top choice and I've been refreshing the admissions results here and my e-mail like crazy all day. Some people have heard back and gotten interviews at Penn (and congrats to those that have!) but I haven't gotten anything from them. 

I hope y'all are doing okay with your wait! I'm finding it more stressful than doing the applications was. 

On 12/13/2018 at 6:01 PM, MLC2019 said:

I've seen multiple posts about UCSF iPQB in the results link. Has anyone heard back from Tetrad?

I applied to Tetrad and haven't heard anything. I'm thinking (hoping) we'll hear back next week, based on when last year's interview decisions went out. 

Tweet from a prof in UCSF BMS (posted 8:40pm est yesterday):

Just left admissions committee meeting. We had about 650 apps for 80 spots in BMS. To anyone *not* interviewed please know this: it’s possible to have amazing potential as a scientist but not be in these 80. So many incredible applicants it was overwhelming!

Looks like results are coming soon!

Edited by maya123z