2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

On 12/28/2018 at 11:26 AM, maya123z said:

I sent my W9 a few weeks ago but haven't gotten anything from Maupin. I'll follow up with them. Thanks!

Did everyone receive the W9 form in the confirmation email from BBSP admissions after registering for the interview weekend? I got the confirmation email but cannot see the W9 attachment.

Anybody heard from Harvard BBS / MIT Bio as of yet? As well, do we know if these are rolling interview invites or all in one go.

Edited by aarhar

12 hours ago, MLC2019 said:

Did everyone receive the W9 form in the confirmation email from BBSP admissions after registering for the interview weekend? I got the confirmation email but cannot see the W9 attachment.

Yes it will be a secure file you must download. It will be an attachment called message1 or something like that. You'll go through a couple hoops but you can just find any W9 form online really and fill it out and scan it back to BBSP

Does anyone know which university is going to send out the interview in January? And will domestic applicants and international applicants (outside  North America) be notified in different time manners? I currently have no positive news, only a few rejections. 

I got rejected in this program. Got an email to check the application portal which I did and henceforth, got the news. Hoping for positivity in future. My email was in spam folder. It's my first rejection.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:46 AM, EnchantedR said:

I'm also an international student and I haven't heard anything from JHU. Have you got any interviews yet?

Not yet. Only 3 rej from Sinai, JHU(neuro) and WUSTL(CMB). I am still waiting for BCMB @JHU.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

Does anyone know which university is going to send out the interview in January? And will domestic applicants and international applicants (outside  North America) be notified in different time manners? I currently have no positive news, only a few rejections. 

If you don’t mind me asking, what rejections have you received so far?

24 minutes ago, beeboop said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what rejections have you received so far?

Not at all~I have so far received a rejection from the University of Michigan officially, and an unofficial rejection of MIT(asked by myself).

5 hours ago, EAbiology said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Washington (Seattle) Pharmacology program and/or UPenn Pharmacology? 

I'm waiting on those schools myself! There's a separate Pharmacology thread and someone in it got an interview from UPenn already

On 1/2/2019 at 12:39 AM, blackprodigy said:

Yes it will be a secure file you must download. It will be an attachment called message1 or something like that. You'll go through a couple hoops but you can just find any W9 form online really and fill it out and scan it back to BBSP

I found the form, thank you! Do you know how to determine if you are exempt from backup withholding and FATCA reporting?

38 minutes ago, MLC2019 said:

I found the form, thank you! Do you know how to determine if you are exempt from backup withholding and FATCA reporting?

Skip that part. Says it's only for certain entities...not individuals. You are completing the form as an individual. Fill in that you're an individual, your name, address, SSN, signature, and date. Fax, photograph or scan the first page only to BBSP. Easy peasy.

7 hours ago, champion321 said:

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is if you receive an interview invite, assuming you don't mess up at the interview?

Depends on the school. Usually about 50%

If you're super set on the school, convey that during the interview. They are rolling the dice with every admission offer because they can only admit so many people but also want to fill their spots so they like to offer admission to people who will likely go there. 

Edited by BabyScientist

31 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

Depends on the school. Usually about 50%

If you're super set on the school, convey that during the interview. They are rolling the dice with every admission offer because they can only admit so many people but also want to fill their spots so they like to offer admission to people who will likely go there. 

My current PI recommended emailing professors of interest at the schools I'm going for interviews at. Is it a bit late in the game for that? Feels a bit awkward to me--- don't want to come off as a sycophant.

12 hours ago, 7layermagik said:

My current PI recommended emailing professors of interest at the schools I'm going for interviews at. Is it a bit late in the game for that? Feels a bit awkward to me--- don't want to come off as a sycophant.

I'd say only if you're super interested in them. You could introduce yourself, describe a bit of your experience and your interest in their work, and say you hope you can meet them at interviews (tell them you were invited) 

12 hours ago, NoG4C2forYou said:

Anyone hear back from MIT Biology yet?

I wonder if they will be sent today, as they were sent the Friday after New Years last year. But this is just speculation.

It seems to be a pretty common trend to segregate domestic vs international applicants in terms of admissions chances, and for good reason. A lot of people have asked whether domestic vs internationals get interview invites at different times. Does anybody have any insight into this?