2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

1 hour ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

Is there any sites you all used for rating/selectivity stats based on program? I'm trying to generate a list of where I'd like to apply and narrow it down with a good mix of reaches/dream schools, mid-tier and "safety" (even though I guess safety schools isn't really a thing for grad school). I've only seen a couple schools release the data based on program.

Just sent e-mail to them, ask information about what you want to know, that was what I have done for this year.(for GRE, GPA, whatever)

Am I reading too much into emails? I had an interview last weekend and after sending thank you emails I got some responses that seem very positive. One was from the Director of Recruitment and he said something along the lines of it was great to meet you and hear about your research, then he closed the email out with "I've heard lots of good things from the faculty you interviewed with. Expect to hear from us soon." That seems really positive to me. Then one of my interviews was with a faculty member who sits on admissions committee. She sent me response to my thank you email, saying "It was a pleasure to talk to you...blah blah... I hope to see you at ______ University in the Fall". Am I wrong or stretching it to read into those emails that I'm going to get an admissions offer? Why would she say that unless I was getting an offer?

This school is my top choice but they haven't had any official offers given out yet. Would love some outside perspective as I'm really stressing over this.

Edited by cidmeister

3 hours ago, cidmeister said:

Am I reading too much into emails? I had an interview last weekend and after sending thank you emails I got some responses that seem very positive. One was from the Director of Recruitment and he said something along the lines of it was great to meet you and hear about your research, then he closed the email out with "I've heard lots of good things from the faculty you interviewed with. Expect to hear from us soon." That seems really positive to me. Then one of my interviews was with a faculty member who sits on admissions committee. She sent me response to my thank you email, saying "It was a pleasure to talk to you...blah blah... I hope to see you at ______ University in the Fall". Am I wrong or stretching it to read into those emails that I'm going to get an admissions offer? Why would she say that unless I was getting an offer?

This school is my top choice but they haven't had any official offers given out yet. Would love some outside perspective as I'm really stressing over this.

Yeah that sounds like you're probably in - especially since they are involved with admissions. :)

20 minutes ago, DevoLevo said:

Yeah that sounds like you're probably in - especially since they are involved with admissions. :)

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. I just don't was to get my hopes up. I loved it during the interview weekend. From past years, I should get notified tomorrow or Saturday so lets begin with the neurotically refreshing my email lol.

P.S. - hope your interviews are going/went well! you have a ton. I feel so behind in classes even after just one weekend away.

8 hours ago, gokuuuuu said:

Any news to columbia biological sciences phD? emailed about status but didn't get any reply.

They had one of their interview weekend already and there other one is in March. I know they've sent out some invitations for the march one but it's very possible they haven't sent all. The interview weekend was just a few days ago so I don't think any of us who went to that one have heard back regarding admissions decisions. 

1 hour ago, DevoLevo said:

They had one of their interview weekend already and there other one is in March. I know they've sent out some invitations for the march one but it's very possible they haven't sent all. The interview weekend was just a few days ago so I don't think any of us who went to that one have heard back regarding admissions decisions. 

When did you submit your application for Columbia? 
I think they also notify students about interviews more than one month prior

4 hours ago, BDancey said:

Their deadline is Jan 5th. So I send in right around that date. Could it be that I submitted my app late?

Has anyone applied to Ohio State microbiology this year or previously? Their deadline was a little later (Dec 15) and it seems like their admissions process is slowish, but I can't get an idea of their timeline at all from the website or from the results posted here. 

9 hours ago, BDancey said:

I submitted Nov 30th I think - I just put it in with all my other December 1 apps. As I mentioned, the only other one is in March and I know they have sent out some invites, but due to the way they do their application review process it seems possible they're still sending some out.

5 hours ago, gokuuuuu said:

Their deadline is Jan 5th. So I send in right around that date. Could it be that I submitted my app late?

They have an unusual rolling review process where on Dec. 1 they start reviewing apps that are already in and as they come in until they have enough people for an interview weekend- at which point they send out the invites for the first open house. Since you submitted right at the end you wouldn't have been in the first batch and if they are still reviewing apps they may not have gotten to yours yet.

26 minutes ago, DevoLevo said:

I submitted Nov 30th I think - I just put it in with all my other December 1 apps. As I mentioned, the only other one is in March and I know they have sent out some invites, but due to the way they do their application review process it seems possible they're still sending some out.

They have an unusual rolling review process where on Dec. 1 they start reviewing apps that are already in and as they come in until they have enough people for an interview weekend- at which point they send out the invites for the first open house. Since you submitted right at the end you wouldn't have been in the first batch and if they are still reviewing apps they may not have gotten to yours yet.

I submitted my app around November 30 as well. I wish they would have told me that my application had been rejected instead of saying that its still under review. I hope the other poster has better luck than I did.

8 hours ago, basicscienceismyjam said:

I was planning on wearing a suit to my interviews but each school has mentioned their dress code for interview day is business casual. Would a suit be too dressy? What are some examples of business casual for women?

There has been at least one person wearing a suit at all the interviews I've been to so far so you'd be fine wearing one if you wanted to. I've been wearing slacks, blouse, and blazer which is probably closer to what most people wear - though the blazer isn't really necessary either if you want to skip it. 

Any news from Harvard BBS, Boston University PiBS, UNC Chapel hill BBS, and Duke CMB?

I've read some articles in the forum and knew that some of these programs have their interviews.

But I got nothing notifications from these programs, neither email nor online portal.

I'm an international applicant. Is that because of my identity?

17 hours ago, HYcheng said:

Any news from Harvard BBS, Boston University PiBS, UNC Chapel hill BBS, and Duke CMB?

I've read some articles in the forum and knew that some of these programs have their interviews.

But I got nothing notifications from these programs, neither email nor online portal.

I believe Harvard BBS already sent out all invites to everyone. I think Chapel Hill also did the same. Not sure about the other two programs though. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, pexygalax said:

I believe Harvard BBS already sent out all invites to everyone. I think Chapel Hill also did the same. Not sure about the other two programs though. Best of luck!

20 hours ago, HYcheng said:

Yes UNC has already sent out interview invites. I got my interview itinerary just a few hours ago.

3 hours ago, MLC2019 said:

Is it customary that you send thank-you emails to all of your interviewers? Or just those whose work you were particularly interested in, etc.?

I sent all my interviews one, the director of recruitment and the program administrator. At min, say thank you to the interviewers.

12 hours ago, cidmeister said:

I sent all my interviews one, the director of recruitment and the program administrator. At min, say thank you to the interviewers.

I did this for pretty much none of my interviews (I think 2-3 profs who stood out only) and got into every school I interviewed at. Won't make or break you, but is common to do. 

20 hours ago, MLC2019 said:

Is it customary that you send thank-you emails to all of your interviewers? Or just those whose work you were particularly interested in, etc.?

I also just send emails to those that I felt I had a really good conversation with