2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

On 2/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, Benjamin977 said:

Any international students hearing back from UMich Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology(MCDB) after the interview? Currently I only know one got accepted on 2/21. I am wondering whether they are still sending out acceptances. Waiting is such torture...

Sad to get the official rejection yesterday. Congrats to all who got an offer!

On 2/27/2019 at 1:34 AM, CancerBiology said:

Hey! Sorry to let you know that UMich has sent out all its offers (from what I've heard). I would check your online portal. UMich is NOT international friendly AT ALL (because it is a public school and we are not funded). I heard back from PIBS the same week I interviewed there. Was rejected post-interview because they only took one international (I have been working here for over a year and had recommendation letters from Umich PI's).

Just saw your quote and thanks for sharing! I got rejected and am sorry to know you too. I know that at least two international students got admitted to MCDB this year. 

Hey guys! I need your help! I got into both Columbia and Duke and I am trying to make a decision here. I am still waiting to hear from other schools that I have interviewed at, but the final decision will be between Duke and Columbia. I am leaning a little bit more towards Columbia, but I would like to know your opinion! Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, CancerBiology said:

Hey guys! I need your help! I got into both Columbia and Duke and I am trying to make a decision here. I am still waiting to hear from other schools that I have interviewed at, but the final decision will be between Duke and Columbia. I am leaning a little bit more towards Columbia, but I would like to know your opinion! Thank you so much.

Congratulations! I think this question may be better discussed in a separate post, where you can name the specific programs (I assume cancer bio?) and lay out your considerations.

1 hour ago, CancerBiology said:

Which Columbia program? The Integrated program?

On 3/4/2019 at 8:59 AM, CancerBiology said:

Was your acceptance for the integrated program?

4 hours ago, maxjaxpax said:

should i assume i am getting a post-interview (3/1) rejection from tufts sackler genetics if i havent heard anything and their revisit day is tomorrow?

Hi! During the Neuo interview day they mentioned it's a rolling admissions process, so as people make their decisions they will invite more. I was surprised they offered a revisit day so early, as I imagine most people will make their decisions in the next few weeks up until April 15th which may cause them to admit more later. I wouldn't give up hope!

I turned down the offer very quickly because I knew someone else might want to go to the revisit day, other applicants may choose to go to the revisit day and then reject the offer.

Edited by yash13177

I was beyond excited when I got into Yale's Microbiology department, but the next day I heard back from NYU that I had gotten into their's as well. These two programs were my favorite to interview at, and both had multiple people that I would be interested in rotating with. When accounting for living costs, it seems that the stipends are about equal. I love NYC, and would love to be in a city, but I also have lived in small cities/small towns my whole life and New Haven doesn't seem too bad at all. NYC does sound better to me, but Yale has a few more people I would be interested in working with.

To be perfectly honest, it seems quite equal across the board. Any advice, or just comments from either current or past students or current or past residents? I would appreciate any input. I feel like I can't make a bad decision, but I want to make the best decision for me. 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, I am nobody said:

SBU is ranked much higher for biological sciences than BC but BC offers about 6k more stipend annually. Which do I choose? Is 29K enough to make a decent living in StonyBrook??

What school are you referring to with BC? I did undergrad at Stony Brook, $29 seemed enough for all the graduate students I interacted with. Which program were you accepted to? 

Hey guys! I ended up committing to Columbia. I got many messages asking about how I managed to get into these schools as an international etc. This was my first time applying and I got lucky, but to those who did not get in anywhere, you'll get in next year! Absolutely everything happens for a reason, and you'll end up where you're meant to be, which will be a great place for sure. If this is what you want to do, don't EVER give up. YOU GOT THIS! If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free. I am not an expert by any means, but I did get into 4 pretty good schools for my PhD in Biomedical Sciences, and I am happy to help as much as I can!