PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

1 hour ago, YoYToT said:

They asked about the ability to multitask, meet deadline, collaborate with others...things like that.

I could not remember too much, I was mostly blacked out during the interview, hahaha...

Got it! Thanks! Still no news, but according to what you mentioned about the deadline, probably it's a silent rejection : (

18 hours ago, apex45 said:

Anyone hear anything from Pittsburgh BCHS? There's one rejection on the results page but nothing else.

hang in there, rejections always come before interviews. I know they're running behind this year but I can let you know if I hear anything from the committee about when interview invitations will be sent. 

Edited by west_k

How likely is an official offer of admission if I've gotten an 'unofficial' acceptance email from the Department Chair stating that they've "made a recommendation of [my] application for admission to the University's Graduate School" and that they wanted to "congratulate [me] a bit early on my accomplishment. You will receive a formal financial offer in February. More to come soon." ???? 

25 minutes ago, NutriEpiPhD said:

How likely is an official offer of admission if I've gotten an 'unofficial' acceptance email from the Department Chair stating that they've "made a recommendation of [my] application for admission to the University's Graduate School" and that they wanted to "congratulate [me] a bit early on my accomplishment. You will receive a formal financial offer in February. More to come soon." ???? 

100%! Congrats!! 

6 hours ago, NutriEpiPhD said:

Congrats!

I saw you were interviewed for Harvard. Is this from Harvard?

Would it be possible if you could share your credentials? Thank you!

On 2/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, NutriEpiPhD said:

Congrats. Is this from Harvard T.Chan?

On 2/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, AngusBangus said:

Harvard PHS (SBS): haven't heard anything. I know they've already conducted interviews, but also have sent some rejection letters too, so probably middle of pile. Not Optimistic.

Columbia SMS: Got my email today for an interview next week for the Predoctoral Fellowship in Gender, Sexuality, & Health. No idea if they interview all candidates, or only those who specified fellowships.

Did you see on the results page that Harvard sent out rejection letters already? I didn't see that yet. I have not heard back anything after my submission in November. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, HSR_PHD said:

Hi Everyone,

Just discovered this forum! I'm going to post an update on interviews I've received so far in case it can help anyone :)

I pretty much applied to every school between DC and Boston (I need to be within 3-4 hours of NYC - where my husband and I are now, he may need to stay here for work)

NYU                               PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration)  -- haven't heard anything
Rutgers                         PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- haven't heard anything                      
NYU                               PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- haven't heard anything  
Johns Hopkins            PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- phone interview on Jan 16
Dartmouth                    PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice  -- made it to the second round of the application process
Boston University        PhD in Health Services Research    -- phone interview on Jan 17
Brown                            PhD in Health Services Research    -- invited to prospective student day on January 25
Northeastern                 PhD in Population Health    -- haven't heard anything  
Drexel                             PhD in Health Services Research  -- received formal acceptance/offer
Harvard                          PhD in Health Policy        -- haven't heard anything  
Yale                                 PhD in Health Policy & Management       -- haven't heard anything  
Penn                                 PhD in Health Care Management & Economics       -- haven't heard anything   
George Washington       PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track)    -- haven't heard anything  
U. of Maryland                 PhD in Health Services Administration     -- phone interview on Jan 18
U. of Massachusetts     PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- haven't heard anything  
Cornell                             PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration)   -- haven't heard anything  
Temple University         PhD in Health Policy & Management     -- haven't heard anything  

Would love to hear everyone else's news so far

Hello! Looks like we applied three programs together! Can I ask you some updates?

Also congratulations on the good news!

The programs i applied for: 

Harvard health policy: no interview. The administrators said they have sent out all interviews. So no interview = rej :(

Dartmouth health policy & clinical practice: got into second round in Dec., but haven't heard anything back since then. 

Brown U: not hearing anything back. 

Have you heard anything back from any schools?  @HSR_PHD

23 hours ago, YoYToT said:

Congrats!

I saw you were interviewed for Harvard. Is this from Harvard?

Would it be possible if you could share your credentials? Thank you!

Thanks! waiting for an official notice before I even contemplate rejoicing.

Using the format someone had used earlier - hope it helps:

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal Arts College - USA
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Dance, Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: International

Postgrad: Clinical-Translational research manager, Research associate - Interdisciplinary: Genetic epi, gastroenterology, immunology, microbiology 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 155 (80%)
V: 160 (90%)
W: 4.5 (89%)

TOEFL Total: n/a

Research Experience: 

Undergrad4 years undergrad research - all semesters of research starting freshman year, 4 consecutive paid summer research in same lab, 9 conference poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, 1 research award, culminated with 1st author publication (molecular biology) by graduation.

Professional Research:  4 years of clinical-translational research experience working various facets including wet-lab, patient care/contact, surgical techniques and tissue processing, IRB submissions, grant applications, data collection, management and analysis. Leading 7 projects, 2 multisite consortium projects with top 10 institutions. 12 conference (national and international) publications, 2 conference awards, 1 first author international conference presentation, 2 co-author papers (in review).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Shelby Davis United World Scholar, HRH Prince Charles Scholar, ASBMB Research Award, polyglot (8 fluent)

On 2/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, apex45 said:

100%! Congrats!! 

Thank you! Here's hoping! Paranoia is getting the best of me and I need the official acceptance in hand to have this sink in!

4 hours ago, Dil said:

@apex Did you hear from Harvard? I remember you had an interview right?

Nope, Harvard's the only school I haven't heard anything from at this point. I'm predicting a rejection in March. 

7 minutes ago, ghphdapplicant said:

Has anyone heard from the global / international health programs at Harvard, University of Washington, or Hopkins? It's been radio silence for me...

Interviewed with two POIs for JHU's International Health Program early January. Hoping you hear something soon! Good luck!

3 hours ago, NutriEpiPhD said:

Thanks! waiting for an official notice before I even contemplate rejoicing.

Using the format someone had used earlier - hope it helps:

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal Arts College - USA
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Dance, Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: International

Postgrad: Clinical-Translational research manager, Research associate - Interdisciplinary: Genetic epi, gastroenterology, immunology, microbiology 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 155 (80%)
V: 160 (90%)
W: 4.5 (89%)

TOEFL Total: n/a

Research Experience: 

Undergrad4 years undergrad research - all semesters of research starting freshman year, 4 consecutive paid summer research in same lab, 9 conference poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, 1 research award, culminated with 1st author publication (molecular biology) by graduation.

Professional Research:  4 years of clinical-translational research experience working various facets including wet-lab, patient care/contact, surgical techniques and tissue processing, IRB submissions, grant applications, data collection, management and analysis. Leading 7 projects, 2 multisite consortium projects with top 10 institutions. 12 conference (national and international) publications, 2 conference awards, 1 first author international conference presentation, 2 co-author papers (in review).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Shelby Davis United World Scholar, HRH Prince Charles Scholar, ASBMB Research Award, polyglot (8 fluent)

Thank you! Here's hoping! Paranoia is getting the best of me and I need the official acceptance in hand to have this sink in!

Thank you for sharing! I am applying the same track as you at Harvard, but your experience is def stronger than mine! You are well deserved and gave me motivation to work harder during phD. Congrats again!

Received official my acceptance letter from UT, no interview and no mentioning of funding. I wonder, will the schools typically mention funding in the admission letter or is applying for funding is an independent process? Also eager to know anyone heard back from JHU? Did anyone get admitted to it?

10 hours ago, gloriazeng86 said:

Received official my acceptance letter from UT, no interview and no mentioning of funding. I wonder, will the schools typically mention funding in the admission letter or is applying for funding is an independent process? Also eager to know anyone heard back from JHU? Did anyone get admitted to it?

It looks like on the results page that there have been acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. I also have not heard anything though.

5 minutes ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

It looks like on the results page that there have been acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. I also have not heard anything though.

I only see acceptances and waitlists for PhD PHS? I applied epi and have not heard anything, so assuming I'll be getting a rejection in the next few days, unfortunately. (Though not unexpectedly since I never heard about an interview)