PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

18 hours ago, apex45 said:

Nope, Harvard's the only school I haven't heard anything from at this point. I'm predicting a rejection in March. 

Ah, I see. Harvard is the only school I applied and no news so far. I am worried for the worst now too now that people started getting their acceptance or wait lists.

Just emailed the Harvard GSAS to ask for the status of my application and below is what i got. Not very useful...Looks like I will need to impatiently wait it out...

We’re sorry but we cannot provide information about the status of an individual application.  As we replied earlier, applications are presently under review.  You will be notified by email when a decision has been made on your application. Decisions will be available to view by logging into your application using your login and password.  All decisions will be made by early March.

1 hour ago, Dil said:

Ah, I see. Harvard is the only school I applied and no news so far. I am worried for the worst now too now that people started getting their acceptance or wait lists.

Wow, you only applied to one school? That's brave!

38 minutes ago, kertu said:

Wow, you only applied to one school? That's brave!

Yes, put all the eggs into one basket this time :) Let's see how it goes. I might need to apply for Harvard and other schools next year again. 

Hey there!

So nice to see your acceptances. For the rest of us, patience and resilience haha!

So, here's the thing: I applied to two doctoral programs and yesterday while checking the SOPHAS portal I just saw a new application made manually (not for me, for the school according to the SOPHAS dude) for the SMS Masters at Columbia.

Anyone with a similar experience? 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, PHDHSR said:

Hello! Looks like we applied three programs together! Can I ask you some updates?

Also congratulations on the good news!

The programs i applied for: 

Harvard health policy: no interview. The administrators said they have sent out all interviews. So no interview = rej :(

Dartmouth health policy & clinical practice: got into second round in Dec., but haven't heard anything back since then. 

Brown U: not hearing anything back. 

Have you heard anything back from any schools?  @HSR_PHD

Hi @PHDHSR !

Here's an update on what I've heard:

Rutgers                              PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- Accepted
Drexel                                 PhD in Health Services Research -- Accepted
U. of Maryland                  PhD in Health Services Administration -- Accepted
U. of Massachusetts       PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Accepted

Brown                                 PhD in Health Services Research -- attended prospective student day on 1/25 
Johns Hopkins                 PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Phone Interview on January 16
Boston University             PhD in Health Services Research -- Phone Interview on January 17; Invited to prospective student day on 2/15
Dartmouth                         PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice -- completed the second round of the application process, haven't heard anything yet
NYU                                     PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration) -- Phone Interview on February 1
Temple University             PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Phone Interview on February 1
NYU                                     PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- Invited to prospective student day on 2/15

Yale                                     PhD in Health Policy & Management -- haven't heard anything
George Washington         PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track) -- haven't heard anything
Cornell                                PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration) -- haven't heard anything
Northeastern                     PhD in Population Health -- haven't heard anything
Harvard                              PhD in Health Policy -- haven't heard anything
Penn                                   PhD in Health Care Management & Economics -- haven't heard anything

Good luck and fingers crossed that you hear back from places!

53 minutes ago, phd_2019_fall said:

Are you applying to epi department? Maybe you can try to count the # of offers in the result page. A faculty in another department told me that every year 5-6 incoming PhD students are expected for EACH department across 9 departments. 

Can you clarify what you are referring to?

2 hours ago, HSR_PHD said:

Hi @PHDHSR !

Here's an update on what I've heard:

Rutgers                              PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- Accepted
Drexel                                 PhD in Health Services Research -- Accepted
U. of Maryland                  PhD in Health Services Administration -- Accepted
U. of Massachusetts       PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Accepted

Brown                                 PhD in Health Services Research -- attended prospective student day on 1/25 
Johns Hopkins                 PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Phone Interview on January 16
Boston University             PhD in Health Services Research -- Phone Interview on January 17; Invited to prospective student day on 2/15
Dartmouth                         PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice -- completed the second round of the application process, haven't heard anything yet
NYU                                     PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration) -- Phone Interview on February 1
Temple University             PhD in Health Policy & Management -- Phone Interview on February 1
NYU                                     PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- Invited to prospective student day on 2/15

Yale                                     PhD in Health Policy & Management -- haven't heard anything
George Washington         PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track) -- haven't heard anything
Cornell                                PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration) -- haven't heard anything
Northeastern                     PhD in Population Health -- haven't heard anything
Harvard                              PhD in Health Policy -- haven't heard anything
Penn                                   PhD in Health Care Management & Economics -- haven't heard anything

Good luck and fingers crossed that you hear back from places!

Hi @HSR_PHD

Thank you!!! Congrats on your offers!!!

I will put updates if any.

Good luck!!!

5 hours ago, Nairel said:

Hey there!

So nice to see your acceptances. For the rest of us, patience and resilience haha!

So, here's the thing: I applied to two doctoral programs and yesterday while checking the SOPHAS portal I just saw a new application made manually (not for me, for the school according to the SOPHAS dude) for the SMS Masters at Columbia.

I see something similar on my SOPHAS too, a manual application to the ScM was made by SOPHAS to Brown. I think I can expect them to send me a letter later saying that I am not considered for their Ph.D. program but will be welcomed in their master's program.

2 hours ago, PHDHSR said:

Hi @HSR_PHD

Thank you!!! Congrats on your offers!!!

I will put updates if any.

Good luck!!!

Congratulations!!! Do your offers mention funding for other financial aid opportunities?  Mine did not, and just wonder does it mean no funding opportunities?

7 hours ago, Nairel said:

Hey there!

Hey! Where on SOPHAS do you see the manual application? I'm wondering if this happened to me, too

27 minutes ago, sbsapplicant2019 said:

Hey! Where on SOPHAS do you see the manual application? I'm wondering if this happened to me, too

Hey! I just logged into SOPHAS to check my stuff, I saw that instead of my two applications there were three. 

I just think I'm rejected from the Ph.D. (SMS ) at Columbia and they sent my application to the Master's department for review. 

I'd like to know if this happened too to the people that were rejected for other programs but have been already accepted into the masters. 

G.

13 hours ago, phd_2019_fall said:

Oh I forgot to quote Dil's post. Sorry about that. I mean Harvard's PHS program. 

Ok, I am a bit confused because EPI has around 13 specializations? I thought 40 students were accepted across all of the four tracks (not just EPI)? 

I am pretty sure that if anyone hasn't heard back from Yale yet, that's a silent rejection because I was invited to interview on 2/11 for Social Behavioral Sciences as well. 

Re: Brown-- I haven't received an official acceptance for BSHS yet. I spoke to someone in admissions and was told they are still deciding on several people and will release decisions only when they have the whole cohort determined. Since people can see manual applications to the ScM on SOPHAS, my guess is that they've decided who is accepted to the PhD and are working on outright rejected vs. sent to ScM vs. waitlist. I'm not sure how this is shaking out in other departments... I think Health Services Research sent official acceptances out? Either way, if you didn't interview, it's assuredly rejection or ScM at this point.

23 minutes ago, apex45 said:

I am pretty sure that if anyone hasn't heard back from Yale yet, that's a silent rejection because I was invited to interview on 2/11 for Social Behavioral Sciences as well. 

Re: Brown-- I haven't received an official acceptance for BSHS yet. I spoke to someone in admissions and was told they are still deciding on several people and will release decisions only when they have the whole cohort determined. Since people can see manual applications to the ScM on SOPHAS, my guess is that they've decided who is accepted to the PhD and are working on outright rejected vs. sent to ScM vs. waitlist. I'm not sure how this is shaking out in other departments... I think Health Services Research sent official acceptances out? Either way, if you didn't interview, it's assuredly rejection or ScM at this point.

Hello! Has HSR in Brown sent out their acceptance letters? Did you hear anything from others in addition to one acceptance on the result page? 

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, PHDHSR said:

Hello! Has HSR in Brown sent out their acceptance letters? Did you hear anything from others in addition to one acceptance on the result page? 

Thank you!

My bad! I confused @EpiPhD831's epi acceptance for an HSR acceptance. I've only seen an HSR acceptance on the result page.

3 hours ago, epihope said:

Ok, I am a bit confused because EPI has around 13 specializations? I thought 40 students were accepted across all of the four tracks (not just EPI)? 

Yes, there are 9 departments at the Harvard T.Chan School of Public Health. And in the epi department, there are about 13 concentration areas. I thought each concentration area might get one student each year?

Maybe @epihope is right about what the other professor said about each department admitting 5-6 students each year. In the results page, already 5 acceptances for the epi department (1 wait list) for 2019. Still trying to be hopeful about it as Harvard was the only school I applied but many things are pointing to the otherwise bad outcome...

If anyone knows about Harvard T.Chan's admission policy, it would be nice to share here for peach of mind...