PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

Those with responses from Columbia (especially SMS): they have sent you an email or they just update the applicant's portal? I've seen that there are acceptances and rejections (for SMS) in the results page here and I've just got silence.  And yes, I'm super anxious. 

5 hours ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

anyone going to Yale's prospective student day get any details/agenda yet? 

I got an email with travel info, the day's schedule, and my list of individual appointments/interviews. The day looks packed. Here's hoping I have the stamina to be "on" from 8:30-5:00 and then rally for dinner/drinks that evening. 

43 minutes ago, apex45 said:

I got an email with travel info, the day's schedule, and my list of individual appointments/interviews. The day looks packed. Here's hoping I have the stamina to be "on" from 8:30-5:00 and then rally for dinner/drinks that evening. 

Yea I wasn't expecting there to be that many faculty meetings! It's pretty impressive that they're doing so many individual meetings with prospective students though

3 hours ago, Nairel said:

Those with responses from Columbia (especially SMS): they have sent you an email or they just update the applicant's portal? I've seen that there are acceptances and rejections (for SMS) in the results page here and I've just got silence.  And yes, I'm super anxious. 

I think SMS has only sent rejections so far for the PhD program -- there have been SMS MPH acceptances (at least from what I can see on the results page). 

I heard from a SMS PhD graduate that they found out via the portal. I hope this helps. 

3 minutes ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

@apex45 @Epidemiology19 

Yes I finally got mine too - it’s gonna be quite the day! Excited to meet some of the faculty they paired me up with.

How are you planning on preparing for the faculty interviews? At other schools, it was pretty apparent that I was paired with faculty who have similar research interests. But at Yale, it seems like there’s a much broader range of faculty who I’m scheduled to speak with. Possibly individuals who are on the admissions committee?

7 hours ago, Epidemiology19 said:

How are you planning on preparing for the faculty interviews? At other schools, it was pretty apparent that I was paired with faculty who have similar research interests. But at Yale, it seems like there’s a much broader range of faculty who I’m scheduled to speak with. Possibly individuals who are on the admissions committee?

In a past interview, the not-a-match professor didn't seem to be on the admissions committee and was looking for a connection between our research. It was clear that the professor was not intending to be my advisor or anything but was looking for "big picture" connections. The vibe was like, "If you came here, what sorts of things would you seek my advice about or what could we collaborate on?" Since we didn't share population or disease interests, the conversation ended up being about methodology, ethics, and overall research processes. 

To get to your question-- I think I'll prepare for general adcom questions ("Why Yale?" "Why a PhD?") and just generally familiarize myself with everyone's research interests. 3/5 of my interviews are with people I asked to meet with, so I'll look deeper into their recent and current work. 

10 hours ago, Epidemiology19 said:

Yes I will probably take an approach similar to @apex45 since I'm meeting with people similar to my research interests (both ones I mentioned/spoke with before and ones I didn't mention).

I can't decide whether to be nervous or not. I know they want to make sure we are the right fit and serious, etc. but the top of my agenda says "Yale Recruitment Day" so I am assuming they want us to go there? Thoughts?

Has anyone heard from BU? I saw some received an invitation to visiting day so I assumed I was rejected, but today in the results page I see some people have actually received rejection letters. 

4 minutes ago, EpiMexico said:

Has anyone heard from BU? I saw some received an invitation to visiting day so I assumed I was rejected, but today in the results page I see some people have actually received rejection letters. 

Maybe waitlisted? I just got my rejection, and it looks like some others did too.

Speaking of BU... I have seen people mention that they have 4 spots and had 250 applicants. Does anyone who spoke to BU know how many they invite to interview?

ALSO- emailed Berkeley and Columbia. Admin at Berkeley let me know their final meeting is next week, so hopefully will be hearing soon. Admin at Columbia said hopefully by the end of the month!

Edited by ASA15

3 hours ago, EpiBuf said:

Maybe waitlisted? I just got my rejection, and it looks like some others did too.

Yup, got my rejection around 12:30 today and so do a friend of mine 

5 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia or Berkeley (specifically Epi)? 

According to the results page, Columbia started sending out interviews around this time last year...

4 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Speaking of BU... I have seen people mention that they have 4 spots and had 250 applicants. Does anyone who spoke to BU know how many they invite to interview?

ALSO- emailed Berkeley and Columbia. Admin at Berkeley let me know their final meeting is next week, so hopefully will be hearing soon. Admin at Columbia said hopefully by the end of the month!

Is it true that they only admit 4 students out of 250 applicants? That's less than 5%... Berkeley has 13% so I think BU shouldn't be too different. Also thanks for letting us know about Berkeley and Columbia! I haven't heard anything from them either.

My application status at UIC application portal has changed to "Additional review required", anyone knows what that means? I'm feeling so nervous. This is the school that I think has a higher chance of getting accepted.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:57 AM, EpiMexico said:

Me! Excited to get to know the university and program. 

On 2/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, ASA15 said:

Same here!

Yeah! Looking forward to seeing you guys there! 

2 hours ago, YoYToT said:

Saw one person got accepted for Epi at JHU just now. Anyone else heard back from them?

Also eager to see you get admitted! Please share with us if you get the good news. But even if you don't, I think you still went further than most of the applicants. 

Congrats to those who have got dream offer & pray for the rest of us! I think we really should be proud of ourselves no matter what the results are.

--

Accepted: USF

Interviewed: Emory, GSU, Hopkins (Epi), Hopkins (Nutrition)

Rejected: Harvard, Princeton, Hopkins (Nutrition)

Radio silence: Berkeley, UNC, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, NYU, Washington University in St. Louis

--

God bless us.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, BreakingNight said:

Congrats to those who have got dream offer & pray for the rest of us! I think we really should be proud of ourselves no matter what the results are.

--

Accepted: USF

Interviewed: Emory, GSU, Hopkins (Epi), Hopkins (Nutrition)

Rejected: Harvard, Princeton, Hopkins (Nutrition)

Radio silence: Berkeley, UNC, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, NYU, Washington University in St. Louis

--

God bless us.

Phew! Finally delighted to see someone who applied to USF. Which of the concentrations did you apply to?

I applied to CFH and was interviewed in December but haven't heard from them yet.

I also received acceptance offer from Tulane but no word on funding. UIC rejected me.

Waiting to hear from UNC-MCH

On 2/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, ghphdapplicant said:

Has anyone heard from the global / international health programs at Harvard, University of Washington, or Hopkins? It's been radio silence for me...

I got accepted to JHU International Health department - health systems division :D

Good luck everyone!

Edited by MMT2011

Just heard back.

Thursday: Accepted to Columbia SMS (sociology track) with the training grant in gender, sexuality, and health. A professor emailed me the week before and asked if I'd be willing to come in and discuss the program. Thought it was an interview, but she told me I got it. (I work at the hospital like a block away, so I could walk over)

Friday: Got my rejection from Harvard PHS (social behavioral science) via the applicant portal, haha. Yay Columbia.