PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

On 2/25/2019 at 1:08 AM, Behavioralscience said:

Are there any admits to Brown’s behavioral and social science program that share their background/stats? That’s my dream program, and any and all info would be so incredibly appreciated! 

I've been waitlisted (so not an admit). I have an MPH from BU with a 3.5 GPA, a law degree and masters in law, 2.5 years research experience and 2 papers published (one first author).

On 2/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, ASA15 said:

That's awesome! I have not received any word on UW funding aside from getting an interview for the START RA position, which would be awesome! 

That's what worries me most about UW- having to scramble for funding quarter to quarter... although one professor I spoke to did say students get very good at writing grants because of this!

On 2/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Epidem2019 said:

@tryinnaaskquestions Awesome call! I'll see if there are any students that that professor can put me in touch with, thanks for that recommendation.

@ASA15 Congrats on getting an interview for that, that would be dope to have that locked down for the 2 years; good luck! That's my biggest worry now. I'm thinking that UW seems like the best fit for me, but if quarter-to-quarter funding is gonna take up a solid chunk of time, that's something to think about -_-

Hello there. Long time lurker here. I have been accepted to a few PhD Epi programs and now assessing some of my options. Although on paper, UW is probably the best option given their focus in global health and all of their connections around the world - the funding does worry me. I also applied for the RA position at the START Center, however, it is only guaranteed for one year, renewable for two years. After that, students need to look for TA or RA positions or funding on their own in order to avoid paying tuition out of pocket and cover living expenses. I was told that most UW PhD students manage to get enough funding, but for me it seems much too high of a risk to take. I find it a bit ridiculous to be conducting research for the university which ultimately may result in 3 publications under their name and not being guaranteed that you will never have to pay tuition out of pocket.

Finally, I think may go with a lower ranked university that guaranteed me full tuition coverage and a stipend, which I can supplement with a TA-ship if I want to.

50 minutes ago, epidem35 said:

Hello there. Long time lurker here. I have been accepted to a few PhD Epi programs and now assessing some of my options. Although on paper, UW is probably the best option given their focus in global health and all of their connections around the world - the funding does worry me. I also applied for the RA position at the START Center, however, it is only guaranteed for one year, renewable for two years. After that, students need to look for TA or RA positions or funding on their own in order to avoid paying tuition out of pocket and cover living expenses. I was told that most UW PhD students manage to get enough funding, but for me it seems much too high of a risk to take. I find it a bit ridiculous to be conducting research for the university which ultimately may result in 3 publications under their name and not being guaranteed that you will never have to pay tuition out of pocket.

Finally, I think may go with a lower ranked university that guaranteed me full tuition coverage and a stipend, which I can supplement with a TA-ship if I want to.

Definitely something I am considering as well! Honestly I think this decision will largely depend on the START fellowship, as that seems like a wonderful opportunity and also from people I've spoken to seems like it's basically 2 years unless you don't do well. Following that, my goal would be to get grant funding for my dissertation research. I think one strength for UW is that since internal funding is so competitive, there is much stronger institutional support for students to obtain outside funding, and this I believe is a very important skillset/CV element for careers afterwards. Michigan, which offers full institutional funding which is AWESOME, spoke a lot about how they are trying to build up their grant writing support as students seem to be complaining that it is lacking.

However I agree... without START/a guarantee of at least a year and likely 2, I will be very hesitant to accept.

4 minutes ago, Epidemiology19 said:

Do folks remember if there’s a an accepted students day for Yale and what it entails? I thought I remembered them mentioning this being on 3/25. Trying to figure out my schedule for next month and when I can realistically make an informed decision. 

Hey! Yeah, there is -- it is sometime towards the end of March (03/25 or 03/26 sounds right). I'm not sure exactly what it entails, though. See you there!

17 minutes ago, sbsapplicant2019 said:

Hey! Yeah, there is -- it is sometime towards the end of March (03/25 or 03/26 sounds right). I'm not sure exactly what it entails, though. See you there!

Did you (or @Epidemiology19 or anyone else) actually hear back from Yale?! Especially for SBS? I went to interview day but haven't heard anything since. I assume I've been waitlisted but there's no change on my portal and no one's contacted me. 

Edited by apex45
spelling

17 minutes ago, apex45 said:

Did you (or @Epidemiology19 or anyone else) actually hear back from Yale?! Especially for SBS? I went to interview day but haven't heard anything since. I assume I've been waitlisted but there's no change on my portal and no one's contacted me. 

I heard back from Yale’s SBS program today via email from my POI and fellowship director. Official funding packages/formal letters are still being prepared by the graduate school, so I’m guessing everything should be updated on the applicant portal in the next few days. 

Edited by sbsapplicant2019

17 minutes ago, sbsapplicant2019 said:

I heard back from Yale’s SBS program today via email from my POI and fellowship director. Official funding packages/formal letters are still being prepared by the graduate school, so I’m guessing everything should be updated on the applicant portal in the next few days. 

Congrats! Thanks for letting me know. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, Jay1 said:

If you're talking about JHU, after seeing in the results section that someone saw their decision through the application portal and I just checked on the portal myself and saw my decision (waitlisted for the SBS PhD ?‍♀️) even though I haven't received an email yet (website says the email should come in 24-48 hours). I'm not especially optimistic because I don't imagine that many people who got in won't accept, but we'll see. It's not a solid no, at least.

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Applied to 4 schools- 2 for PhD and 2 DrPH. Heard back from both PhD applications now (Brown- No, Hopkins- Waitlist) and now waiting to hear back from the 2 DrPHs. This year is 10 years since I finished my MPH and getting back into application mode has been QUITE the learning experience. Good luck everyone!

Hi There, 

I was also waitlisted at JHU for health economics and policy. Good luck!

Saw that UNC Health Behavior sent out a bunch of acceptances today. I've been checking my email so much, I think I charged my phone three times today. No interview in January, and nothing in email or on SOPHAS now. I think it's safe to say I've been rejected at this point... right?

15 hours ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hi There, 

I was also waitlisted at JHU for health economics and policy. Good luck!

Good luck to you too!!! ???  Did you get an email from them or did you find out from the website application portal. I still never got an official email so ?‍♀️

9 hours ago, greenturtle said:

Saw that UNC Health Behavior sent out a bunch of acceptances today. I've been checking my email so much, I think I charged my phone three times today. No interview in January, and nothing in email or on SOPHAS now. I think it's safe to say I've been rejected at this point... right?

I am not sure. I received an email from the department congratulating me on my acceptance, but I did not receive a formal acceptance letter yet (though in the email they said I should have received it.) I don't know if their submission portal has a glitch or something. I was interviewed in late January though. Keep your head up -- and best of luck!!

53 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

Good luck to you too!!! ???  Did you get an email from them or did you find out from the website application portal. I still never got an official email so ?‍♀️

I got an official e-mail on Feb 11. The e-mail said that we should hear something by April 24th. I am not sure if it the same for your track. 

1 minute ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

I got an official e-mail on Feb 11. The e-mail said that we should hear something by April 24th. I am not sure if it the same for your track. 

Wow @ April 24. That feels like forever away right now. No idea what the HBS track plans are. On the portal, it said they would send me details of the waitlist in 24-48 hours but that was probably two weeks ago. I'm torn between reaching out and trying not to rock the boat especially since I found out by obsessively checking the portal myself with no prompting from them. 

Did you apply anywhere else? Have you heard back? Are you going to planning to wait Hopkins out or do you have options you're considering accepting?

My biggest concern is that even if miraculously I get admitted off the waitlist, I'm imagine any funding ship would have long sailed away. Meaning if I do get in by God's grace, I'm finally going to have to figure out how to get that money tree in my backyard to fruit some ???

1 minute ago, Jay1 said:

Wow @ April 24. That feels like forever away right now. No idea what the HBS track plans are. On the portal, it said they would send me details of the waitlist in 24-48 hours but that was probably two weeks ago. I'm torn between reaching out and trying not to rock the boat especially since I found out by obsessively checking the portal myself with no prompting from them. 

Did you apply anywhere else? Have you heard back? Are you going to planning to wait Hopkins out or do you have options you're considering accepting?

My biggest concern is that even if miraculously I get admitted off the waitlist, I'm imagine any funding ship would have long sailed away. Meaning if I do get in by God's grace, I'm finally going to have to figure out how to get that money tree in my backyard to fruit some ???

Yeah, totally agree with you. I feel like I should not hold my breath. I did call JHU and asked if there was anything else I needed to submit, they said no and they hoped they can give me an answer before the 24th. 

I was rejected from Brown and UCLA

I applied to but have not heard from GWU, NYU, and Tulane

I saw some people were accepted by GWU, so I assume that I did not get into that program. 

1 hour ago, cheesefries said:

I am not sure. I received an email from the department congratulating me on my acceptance, but I did not receive a formal acceptance letter yet (though in the email they said I should have received it.) I don't know if their submission portal has a glitch or something. I was interviewed in late January though. Keep your head up -- and best of luck!!

Jumping in to say I received the same email which says I should have gotten an email from the grad school, but I haven't. It makes me feel a bit better to see that someone else is in the same boat. But it's looking like we're definitely in, so congratulations! Are you in for MSPH-to-PhD or PhD only?

HELP! I've gotten accepted to the MSPH-to-PhD program in Health Behavior at UNC and I'm thrilled! However, this was the only PhD program I applied to - all the others are Masters programs (I don't have any graduate degrees, just undergrad). I've been matched with an adviser and am feeling very overwhelmed because she wants to meet me in person tomorrow and I have no idea what to ask. I feel like I know everything there is to know about Masters programs but have no idea how to judge if this PhD program is right for me. 

So, what kinds of questions will you all ask of your potential advisers? How will you tackle that first meeting? A PhD is such a huge commitment - what questions will you ask to decide if that program is right for you? 

Thank you!

23 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Definitely something I am considering as well! Honestly I think this decision will largely depend on the START fellowship, as that seems like a wonderful opportunity and also from people I've spoken to seems like it's basically 2 years unless you don't do well. Following that, my goal would be to get grant funding for my dissertation research. I think one strength for UW is that since internal funding is so competitive, there is much stronger institutional support for students to obtain outside funding, and this I believe is a very important skillset/CV element for careers afterwards. Michigan, which offers full institutional funding which is AWESOME, spoke a lot about how they are trying to build up their grant writing support as students seem to be complaining that it is lacking.

However I agree... without START/a guarantee of at least a year and likely 2, I will be very hesitant to accept.

Agreed. I guess it depends on what your career prospects are. I imagine if you want to have a career in academia, this is an invaluable skill set to have. However, I would prefer to learn this skill in a context that is not so stress-inducing (scrambling to find funding year to year).

1 hour ago, CaribbeanFoodie said:

Does anyone have any idea about the taxes on stipends? I am an international student so don't know much about US tax. I've been accepted to U of M and am planning on accepting but would love to know how much of the $32,000 yearly stipend will be eaten up with tax??

Very good question. I would recommend to reach out to the financial office of U of M to find out more information. I remember reading the following on the Yale website, which may be helpful. But perhaps it is different in Michigan.

https://oiss.yale.edu/taxes-legal/us-taxes