PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

Hey y'all. Posted this in another thread, but wanted to repost here. So here's my timeline applying to Portland State University for the Applied Developmental Psychology PhD program:

Submitted my application by 11/30/18

Recommenders submitted from 11/30 to 12/01/18

Currently no updates or even interview invitations

Called yesterday 03/01/19 to check on my status, and admissions said I'm still "under review." I emailed my POI soon after. 

I kept checking GradCafe and one or two other people had invitations for an interview late January.

I am 80% convinced I will be rejected, but I gave it a shot. 

If anybody else applied or knows anyone who applied to Portland State's grad program, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Good day everyone, do anyone know when decisions are taken concerning application to UBC Okanagan campus department of Electrical Engineering for fall 2019, any information will be highly appreciated. I posted this on another thread, i just need help to know what is hapening.

58 minutes ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

I haven't but I called their admissions office last week. They said that due to Mardi Gras we might not hear for the next two weeks.

I did my MPH at Tulane and I can say this is the Tulane-iest of Tulane-ishness! Quintessential!

24 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

I did my MPH at Tulane and I can say this is the Tulane-iest of Tulane-ishness! Quintessential!

How did you like Tulane? I got into the Phd tropical medicine program with funding but don't know much about it/haven't gotten the chance to visit. A little nervous about NOLA for 4-5 years...

1 hour ago, ASA15 said:

How did you like Tulane? I got into the Phd tropical medicine program with funding but don't know much about it/haven't gotten the chance to visit. A little nervous about NOLA for 4-5 years...

I liked it fine. Everyone at the SPHTM is very nice and the vibe is very casual, very chill, very "laissez le bon temps rouler," very what you would expect from New Orleans. People (by which I mean professors) are very approachable and I wouldn't say it's an "intense" place to study- not that it's not academically rigorous, but like people aren't super competitive with each other, professors aren't really super self-important even though many of them had superb international experience etc. 

I didn't apply there for doctoral studies first, because it didn't fit in with my research interests and second, because my friends who were doctoral students there were there FOREVER. I wasn't friendly with anyone in the tropical medicine program, so that might be different especially since they're funding you. But my friends in GCHS and International Health were there for A WHILE (more like 6 years than 3-4) and their advisors were the type who didn't seem motivated to move them along and wanted them filled with the joy of learning and academic discovery and who didn't seem to realize that it's not necessarily plausible to be a doctoral student forever. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it just felt a bit like a carry over from the general relaxed New Orleans vibe.

As for living in NOLA, there's nowhere else like it to live in America, I don't think. It's a really strange and somewhat other-worldly place to be a student. It doesn't feel like the most residential place in the world especially downtown which is so funky and weird and tourist-centered, and it takes a while to get used to living there but it's interesting, fun, filled with culture, super friendly, lots to do, people will always want to visit you etc etc. The School of Public Health itself is downtown, near the French Quarter and bars and tourists (and by near, I mean within 5 minutes walk of swarms of drunk tourists EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND with an escalation in the weeks leading up to Mardi Gras). So don't picture that you'll be in the main campus with the greenery and antebellum architecture and history. Nope, the SPH occupies a 12-16-storey high rise (can't quite remember exactly how many floors) building downtown. There is quite a bit of crime (reportedly, I was never a victim, but it seemed frequent based on the school circulars and the tv) but as long as you follow big city principles, you should be fine. I lived in downtown student housing in Deming, which is graduate student housing for the downtown medical/public health campuses- the other student housing they might offer you is in Papillon which is nicer, but unfurnished and uptown so not within walking distance of school. Deming is within walking distance, is furnished, secure and includes utilities BUT it is more insitutional in nature because of that. Being somewhat of a college town, there are lots of off-campus options as well. There is a bus service but it's not the greatest and I wouldn't rely on it, there is also a tram service that goes between uptown and downtown, but you might want a car because it's not like a New York City with excellent public transportation.

I've rambled a lot and hopefully some of it has been helpful. If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Edited by Jay1

36 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

I didn't apply there for doctoral studies first, because it didn't fit in with my research interests and second, because my friends who were doctoral students there were there FOREVER. I wasn't friendly with anyone in the tropical medicine program, so that might be different especially since they're funding you. But my friends in GCHS and International Health were there for A WHILE (more like 6 years than 3-4) and their advisors were the type who didn't seem motivated to move them along and wanted them filled with the joy of learning and academic discovery and who didn't seem to realize that it's not necessarily plausible to be a doctoral student forever. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it just felt a bit like a carry over from the general relaxed New Orleans vibe.

Thank you!! The above especially is very helpful.. truthfully I was having some trouble finding expected graduation times etc on the website, aside from that you are expected to graduate within 7 years, and that was making me a bit nervous. Definitely hopeful to get out of wherever I go in 4 or so!!

So we're getting to the fun part, time to start mulling over decisions for the most part! What're you all thinking? What schools are you down to? What're you prioritizing in the thought process? Who knew the "fun part" would be just as stressful!

On 3/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, ArchieMJ said:

Hey y'all. Posted this in another thread, but wanted to repost here. So here's my timeline applying to Portland State University for the Applied Developmental Psychology PhD program:

Submitted my application by 11/30/18

Recommenders submitted from 11/30 to 12/01/18

Currently no updates or even interview invitations

Called yesterday 03/01/19 to check on my status, and admissions said I'm still "under review." I emailed my POI soon after. 

I kept checking GradCafe and one or two other people had invitations for an interview late January.

I am 80% convinced I will be rejected, but I gave it a shot. 

If anybody else applied or knows anyone who applied to Portland State's grad program, I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'm not sure if this is helpful for you as I applied to the OHSU/PSU PhD program in Public Health, but I was accepted (w/o an interview) via email in mid-January. Good luck!

Anyone going to GWU admitted student day (3/23)? 

I emailed about funding and received this response (paraphrased):

• No guaranteed funding for admitted students
  • Most PhD students work full- or part-time to pay for coursework. If you're a researcher/worker at GWU, you don't get tuition remission until after 6 months of employment

I knew the funding situation when applying, but I was hoping for full tuition remission anyway. I'm worried that if I do accept the offer, I won't be able to find a job that'll make enough to pay for tuition. It's also another level of stress I don't want to deal with while I'm in school. I 100000% DO NOT WANT TO TAKE OUT A LOAN!!

2nd q: anyone else in the same boat?! If so, what are you leaning towards (e.g., accept and take the risk or declining)? Sorry if this was asked before - I checked the 5 most recent pages.

Just got rejection from Berkeley. Disappointing but not too surprising at this point. Still waiting on Michigan, Columbia, UNC, and Minnesota... Wish they'd just tell us already!

Edited by ASA15

2 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Just got rejection from Berkeley. Disappointing but not too surprising at this point. Still waiting on Michigan, Columbia, UNC, and Minnesota... Wish they'd just tell us already!

Same for Cal.. Good luck with your other schools! :)