PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

1 hour ago, epidem35 said:

Hi there. I also got accepted to Columbia Epi, no word on funding. My only hesitation with this school is their funding opportunities, especially for international students.

I'm also concerned about the funding, the professor who interviewed me wasn't particularly encouraging about receiving full funding. Partial might be more likely. Does anyone have any information about this?

5 hours ago, AtmChemEnvHealth said:

I applied to U-Mich (Ann Arbor) for a PHD in Env Health Sci. Has anyone heard from that department yet? I interviewed a month ago and I'm getting nervous. 

I just found out that their admitted students' day is 16 Mar. if anyone has heard from U-Mich EHS already please let me know. 

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking the past couple months, and breaking silence to ask if anyone has heard anything from UNC-Chapel Hill at all?

I saw a couple of acceptances for epidemiology, but my application status in the portal hasn't changed either way. I'm afraid to call, but the one school that admitted me (UW-Madison) has asked in a couple back and forth emails while i was getting more information what I think my intentions are. I know I've got until April, but I hate leaving them hanging.

Edited by can_phd2019
clarification

Quick update in case someone is interested at NYU Public Health SBS Ph.D.:

I got a rejection but my application was forwarded to the MPH. The admissions person said they are still interviewing people. 

Is someone here applying to CUNY MPH?

23 hours ago, can_phd2019 said:

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking the past couple months, and breaking silence to ask if anyone has heard anything from UNC-Chapel Hill at all?

I saw a couple of acceptances for epidemiology, but my application status in the portal hasn't changed either way. I'm afraid to call, but the one school that admitted me (UW-Madison) has asked in a couple back and forth emails while i was getting more information what I think my intentions are. I know I've got until April, but I hate leaving them hanging.

Also waiting on a response from them for Epi (definitely going elsewhere, but would be nice to hear back!) I wouldn't feel bad or stress about keeping UW-Madison on hold for a little bit, it's all part of the process. We were all on hold while they were evaluating their options with us, now it's our turn :) Good luck and fingers crossed we hear back soon!

On 3/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, can_phd2019 said:

Hi everyone!

I haven't heard from UNC either, though to be honest it's late in the process and I'd be very surprised to get an acceptance from them at this point. Congrats on UW Madison! You should take the time you need to decide no matter what :)

1 hour ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

I haven't heard from UNC either, though to be honest it's late in the process and I'd be very surprised to get an acceptance from them at this point. Congrats on UW Madison! You should take the time you need to decide no matter what :)

Same- just waiting for that rejection, especially since I didn't interview/haven't heard anything from them. Unlikely that I would attend anyway.

Also, rejection from Columbia. Not surprised- not a great fit,  the interview I had went so-so, and funding was concerning. But good luck to everyone accepted!!

On 3/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, can_phd2019 said:

Hi everyone!

I applied to UNC Maternal and Child Health, their deadline was Feb 1st so apparently I shouldn't expect to hear back until later this month.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:49 PM, ASA15 said:

Same- just waiting for that rejection, especially since I didn't interview/haven't heard anything from them. Unlikely that I would attend anyway.

Also, rejection from Columbia. Not surprised- not a great fit,  the interview I had went so-so, and funding was concerning. But good luck to everyone accepted!!

Are you still waiting for UNC? I saw two people have posted their results yesterday.

UNC Epidemiology PhD does not interview, and they admit students on a rolling basis - that means over two or three months they are slowing sending out results. So if you still haven't heard back, don't be discouraged (although I completely understand the anxiety, I mean it's March already!?)

9 hours ago, epidjyaku said:

UNC Epidemiology PhD does not interview, and they admit students on a rolling basis - that means over two or three months they are slowing sending out results. So if you still haven't heard back, don't be discouraged (although I completely understand the anxiety, I mean it's March already!?)

Interesting. But people already got a rejection?

Hi all!

Long time lurker. Congratulations to everyone who has received good news! My stats are below, I'm on my last leg here and pretty much ready to cry and quit, not gonna lie.

For those who applied to JHU International Health:

1) If you were accepted, are you going? (Is that a fair question to ask?) 

2) I heard the department only takes about 4 students. Does anyone know if that's per program (GDEC, Health Systems, etc), or across all programs?

Applied: BU Epi, UMich Epi, Harvard PHS/Epi, Emory Epi, JHU International Health

Interviewed: BU, UMich, JHU

Accepted: UPitt (applied/deferred last year because of zero funding, same story again this time so not likely to accept...)

Rejected: BU, Harvard, Emory, UMich (Super disappointing. Professor emailed me saying he told the committee he wanted to take me, but he can't fund me so to expect a deny letter soon :()

Waitlist: JHU (GDEC)

Edited by hopingforahailmary

40 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Hi all!

Long time lurker. Congratulations to everyone who has received good news! My stats are below, I'm on my last leg here and pretty much ready to cry and quit, not gonna lie.

For those who applied to JHU International Health:

1) If you were accepted, are you going? (Is that a fair question to ask?) 

2) I heard the department only takes about 4 students. Does anyone know if that's per program (GDEC, Health Systems, etc), or across all programs?

Applied: BU Epi, UMich Epi, Harvard PHS/Epi, Emory Epi, JHU International Health

Interviewed: BU, UMich, JHU

Accepted: UPitt (applied/deferred last year because of zero funding, same story again this time so not likely to accept...)

Rejected: BU, Harvard, Emory, UMich (Super disappointing. Professor emailed me saying he told the committee he wanted to take me, but he can't fund me so to expect a deny letter soon :()

Waitlist: JHU (GDEC)

Hi there,

I am in a similar boat with jhu. I am waitlisted for the health economics and policy track. I do not know how many students they admit per year, but I assume it is around 5 like most of the programs. I am hoping that the waitlist is also not more than 5 people. 

I will cross my fingers for you too! 

Just now, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hi there,

I am in a similar boat with jhu. I am waitlisted for the health economics and policy track. I do not know how many students they admit per year, but I assume it is around 5 like most of the programs. I am hoping that the waitlist is also not more than 5 people. 

I will cross my fingers for you too! 

Hello back!

I think I'm digging myself into a false-hope-hole here, but my thought would be that because JHU's funding isn't exactly stellar (especially compared to other schools), that some students may opt for other programs simply because of that. Without knowing where we stand on the waitlist though, I'm not sure how helpful that is.

Crossing my fingers for you as well and sending positive vibes!

5 hours ago, pubhealth2019 said:

Has anyone gotten financial info from UNC? I'm specifically in HB but am curious to hear if anyone has gotten info from other departments, too.

I’m eagerly awaiting funding info from UNC (epi) as well. Their funding seems to be lower than other schools and is a bit concerning to me. Anyone else feel this way?