PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

Long-time lurker as well. I have benefited so much from reading these posts and your advices. Honestly it's so nice to know I'm not the only one in this process. I have ran into a bit of a situation and I would love some advice.

Background: international student. MPH from Top 5, 2.5 years working, no publication, research experience primarily doing lit reviews and collecting raw data (which is a nice way of saying I have zero research experience)

Situation:

Accepted to a small Midwest PhD program without funding. Emailed faculty advisor regarding this last week but still haven't heard back.

Rejected by Columbia PhD but offered spot in MS in public health with no funding.

Please help! I honestly don't know which one to choose.

On the one hand, Columbia program is an one-year program and would give me more research exposure and has a better rep? On the other, I don't want another round of repeated education in public health and NYC is expensive!

As for the PhD program, there is possibility of obtaining funding after first year (yes I'm that optimistic person). But the faculty advisor has been radio silent and I don't know if that's a bad sign.

15 hours ago, Salmon_Halibut said:

Long-time lurker as well. I have benefited so much from reading these posts and your advices. Honestly it's so nice to know I'm not the only one in this process. I have ran into a bit of a situation and I would love some advice.

Background: international student. MPH from Top 5, 2.5 years working, no publication, research experience primarily doing lit reviews and collecting raw data (which is a nice way of saying I have zero research experience)

Situation:

Accepted to a small Midwest PhD program without funding. Emailed faculty advisor regarding this last week but still haven't heard back.

Rejected by Columbia PhD but offered spot in MS in public health with no funding.

On the one hand, Columbia program is an one-year program and would give me more research exposure and has a better rep? On the other, I don't want another round of repeated education in public health and NYC is expensive!

As for the PhD program, there is possibility of obtaining funding after first year (yes I'm that optimistic person). But the faculty advisor has been radio silent and I don't know if that's a bad sign.

What was your MPH concentration and what department is the MS from Columbia coming from, Epi? If the MPH and MS are smiliar then it wouldn't be helpful to spend the money on another degree. The main pro about Columbia is that attending a school in NYC would mean more opportunities to work on research. That said, you could do this without actually attending classes. It seems like you need more research experience, not more classroom learning. Full-time research experience can substantially strengthen your application if you decide to apply again - esp if you get the opportunity to work on multiple projects. 

Small midwest program: Radio silent doesn't necessarily mean a bad sign but you should contact the Director of the program or the Head of the department - they would be able to tell you more definitively how funding works after the first year. 

I've been accepted to a few programs (one with funding) and am waiting on one more, but also seriously thinking of delaying a year or two and applying again. TBH I think I had a strong application except that I don't have much direct experience in the area I want to work in (infectious disease epi/global health). I've started looking at research jobs in global infectious disease. Hoping that getting this experience (especially at a research university I'm interested in getting my PhD from?) will help me have a better application season in a year or two :) . Luckily there's no time frame for an ideal time to get a PhD, and work experience only helps IMO.

FYI I have 1 year international NON public health experience post-college, MSPH from top 10 program, 3 years public health/data analysis experience post-masters (great experience, but not in my content area of interest which I think hurt me).

8 hours ago, Akee said:

What was your MPH concentration and what department is the MS from Columbia coming from, Epi? If the MPH and MS are smiliar then it wouldn't be helpful to spend the money on another degree. The main pro about Columbia is that attending a school in NYC would mean more opportunities to work on research. That said, you could do this without actually attending classes. It seems like you need more research experience, not more classroom learning. Full-time research experience can substantially strengthen your application if you decide to apply again - esp if you get the opportunity to work on multiple projects. 

Small midwest program: Radio silent doesn't necessarily mean a bad sign but you should contact the Director of the program or the Head of the department - they would be able to tell you more definitively how funding works after the first year. 

Thank you for your feedback! This is so helpful!! My MPH was in Human Nutrition and the MS is in Sociomedical Science

9 hours ago, ASA15 said:

I've been accepted to a few programs (one with funding) and am waiting on one more, but also seriously thinking of delaying a year or two and applying again. TBH I think I had a strong application except that I don't have much direct experience in the area I want to work in (infectious disease epi/global health). I've started looking at research jobs in global infectious disease. Hoping that getting this experience (especially at a research university I'm interested in getting my PhD from?) will help me have a better application season in a year or two :) . Luckily there's no time frame for an ideal time to get a PhD, and work experience only helps IMO.

FYI I have 1 year international NON public health experience post-college, MSPH from top 10 program, 3 years public health/data analysis experience post-masters (great experience, but not in my content area of interest which I think hurt me).

Im thinking of doing the same thing...getting more exp in research and apply again. 

"Luckily there's no time frame for an ideal time to get a PhD" this was super helpful to hear. Thank you!

I'm waitlisted at JHU (International Health-GDEC) and rejected at UNC Maternal and Child Health which was very surprising. Definitely thought that UNC was the best fit for me given my research and work experiences, but guess not.

So final results:

Accepted- UCLA Epi, Columbia Epi (still no word on funding for either)

Waitlisted- JHU International Health (note: funding is notoriously awful, I went here for my MS and PhD students were paying out of pocket for their degrees in IH)

Rejected- Michigan, Berkeley, NYU, Harvard, BU, Brown

I'll most likely continue my current position and try again next year for UNC, but still waiting to see how the funding at Columbia turns out. Was really let down by UNC, it was my dream school.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, Salmon_Halibut said:

Situation:

Congratulations! MS could be useful if it can get you a head start on your PhD. Would it be possible to waive some of the MS courses based on your MPH and make your time at the MS research heavy so you can get a peer-reviewed publication out of it? Doing research through the MS could accelerate your future PhD research (e.g. use the MS thesis to deepen content area of your PhD topic, get a peer-reviewed publication from your thesis, connect and work with prospective PhD supervisors during your MS). Do they have stats on MS alumna (how many transition straight into Columbia's PhD)?

On 3/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, Salmon_Halibut said:

Situation:

10 hours ago, LSP said:

Congratulations! MS could be useful if it can get you a head start on your PhD. Would it be possible to waive some of the MS courses based on your MPH and make your time at the MS research heavy so you can get a peer-reviewed publication out of it? Doing research through the MS could accelerate your future PhD research (e.g. use the MS thesis to deepen content area of your PhD topic, get a peer-reviewed publication from your thesis, connect and work with prospective PhD supervisors during your MS). Do they have stats on MS alumna (how many transition straight into Columbia's PhD)?

I was all on board with telling you to go with the Midwest PhD, but LSP makes some really good points. IF (and honestly, only if) you can waive some MPH courses, and/or if Columbia would let you waive MS courses once you are in the PhD, then the MS route may not be a bad call. Like LSP said, it could give you some great research opportunities. MS degrees tend to be much less "applied" work compared to an MPH, and you could really delve into methods courses and give yourself a leg up for the PhD program. That would also give you a year to get in with faculty and their research. There are also a ton of people I know and work with who have MS and MPH degrees, so there has to be merit to doing both. I think exposing yourself to both applied and methodological approaches might be really great. Finding out the number who transition from MS to PhD, as LSP said, is definitely crucial for making this decision though. 

Edited by hopingforahailmary

On 3/13/2019 at 4:04 PM, Epidemiology19 said:

I’m eagerly awaiting funding info from UNC (epi) as well. Their funding seems to be lower than other schools and is a bit concerning to me. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm also waiting for funding from UNC (HPM). I talked with my UNC buddy (don't know if other departments have this) and he said the stipend he received was doable, but not great, but I would love to know specifics, especially since I'm trying to decide between a couple other schools where I know funding info (and one of them I know for sure will be much better). I know North Carolina has a lower cost of living, but it's probably not THAT much lower, plus you have to have a car to get around from what I understand which is also more money. 

Hi all. Has anyone heard back from Columbia's Environmental Health Sciences program? (interview, phone call, or anything) Thanks. 

Edited by PHApplicant

20 hours ago, sleepycat123 said:

I'm waitlisted at JHU (International Health-GDEC) and rejected at UNC Maternal and Child Health which was very surprising. Definitely thought that UNC was the best fit for me given my research and work experiences, but guess not.

So final results:

Accepted- UCLA Epi, Columbia Epi (still no word on funding for either)

Waitlisted- JHU International Health (note: funding is notoriously awful, I went here for my MS and PhD students were paying out of pocket for their degrees in IH)

Rejected- Michigan, Berkeley, NYU, Harvard, BU, Brown

I'll most likely continue my current position and try again next year for UNC, but still waiting to see how the funding at Columbia turns out. Was really let down by UNC, it was my dream school.

Wait what, I’m just curious about JHU. I was thinking of applying for PhD in International Health but never did. 

They seriously don’t offer full funding? Do they cover tuition but not living costs? Or how is it exactly?

I find it insane that a #1 public health school doesn’t offer full funding for PhD students, wow!

On 3/14/2019 at 9:08 PM, LSP said:

On 3/15/2019 at 7:05 AM, hopingforahailmary said:

I was all on board with telling you to go with the Midwest PhD, but LSP makes some really good points. IF (and honestly, only if) you can waive some MPH courses, and/or if Columbia would let you waive MS courses once you are in the PhD, then the MS route may not be a bad call. Like LSP said, it could give you some great research opportunities. MS degrees tend to be much less "applied" work compared to an MPH, and you could really delve into methods courses and give yourself a leg up for the PhD program. That would also give you a year to get in with faculty and their research. There are also a ton of people I know and work with who have MS and MPH degrees, so there has to be merit to doing both. I think exposing yourself to both applied and methodological approaches might be really great. Finding out the number who transition from MS to PhD, as LSP said, is definitely crucial for making this decision though. 

Thank you both for your input! I really appreciate you giving me these tips and things to research on.  There isn't anyone at my current workplace who has insights on these things so it's super nice to talk to someone who knows the process :3

Edited by Salmon_Halibut

21 hours ago, kertu said:

Wait what, I’m just curious about JHU. I was thinking of applying for PhD in International Health but never did. 

They seriously don’t offer full funding? Do they cover tuition but not living costs? Or how is it exactly?

I find it insane that a #1 public health school doesn’t offer full funding for PhD students, wow!

I heard they did 75% tuition waiver in International Health, with the option to pick up TA gigs on the side for cash. They also told me they were working on full funding for IH in the next few years.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:29 PM, HSR_HPM2019 said:

I'm also waiting for funding from UNC (HPM). I talked with my UNC buddy (don't know if other departments have this) and he said the stipend he received was doable, but not great, but I would love to know specifics, especially since I'm trying to decide between a couple other schools where I know funding info (and one of them I know for sure will be much better). I know North Carolina has a lower cost of living, but it's probably not THAT much lower, plus you have to have a car to get around from what I understand which is also more money. 

I don't have a UNC buddy, but I have had the chance to talk to some current PhD students in my department, health behavior. Apparently there's scholarships and grants of course, but for everyone else there's three options for funding: full RA/TA, half time RA/TA, and stipend-only RA/TA (these all have official names but I don't know what they are).

Full RA/TA: Work 17-20 hrs/week, tuition covered completely, health insurance covered, "full" stipend which is ~$7500

Half RA/TA: Work around 10 hrs/week, tuition half covered, health insurance fully covered (?), "half" stipend which is ~3500

Stipend-only RA/TA: No tuition covered, stipend depends on hours worked

So obviously this isn't very detailed but it's how two students have explained it to me so far. Compared to other schools (ahem, JHU...) it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Cost of living is definitely lower here than the places some folks on this thread are coming from (Boston, NYC, etc.), but is actually a bit high for NC. Maybe I'm spoiled from growing up in a very low cost area haha. Depending on where you live around here, you don't necessarily need a car because Chapel Hill has a good bus system, but it sure is nice to have. Anyway, I work and live at UNC so I'd be happy to answer any questions folks have about the area. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, CanadaPhDProspective said:

Me too!! Hi new friend! Will you be going to their student admit day on March 8th? 

Hi CanadaPhDProspective! Congratulations! I have two questions please. First, were you accepted to the Health Systems track specifically, or another track at IH/JHU? I'm hearing very conflicting things about the number of students they accepted per track this year. Second, either way, would you mind please sharing anything about the admitted students day you think was extremely helpful/you didn't know from the website? I'm waitlisted for GDEC and on the (very) off chance I get off, would love any insight from the visit. Thanks so much! (:

2 hours ago, pubhealth2019 said:

I don't have a UNC buddy, but I have had the chance to talk to some current PhD students in my department, health behavior. Apparently there's scholarships and grants of course, but for everyone else there's three options for funding: full RA/TA, half time RA/TA, and stipend-only RA/TA (these all have official names but I don't know what they are).

Full RA/TA: Work 17-20 hrs/week, tuition covered completely, health insurance covered, "full" stipend which is ~$7500

Half RA/TA: Work around 10 hrs/week, tuition half covered, health insurance fully covered (?), "half" stipend which is ~3500

Stipend-only RA/TA: No tuition covered, stipend depends on hours worked

So obviously this isn't very detailed but it's how two students have explained it to me so far. Compared to other schools (ahem, JHU...) it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Cost of living is definitely lower here than the places some folks on this thread are coming from (Boston, NYC, etc.), but is actually a bit high for NC. Maybe I'm spoiled from growing up in a very low cost area haha. Depending on where you live around here, you don't necessarily need a car because Chapel Hill has a good bus system, but it sure is nice to have. Anyway, I work and live at UNC so I'd be happy to answer any questions folks have about the area. 

Wow, ~$7500 is not a lot at all. Other schools are at least the low twenties and Brown is mid-thirties. I could maybe make the mid-to-high teens work, but that is not especially encouraging. I am coming from Boston so maybe I'm just underestimating how much the overall cost of living will decrease

I was notified that I was waitlisted for a program a month ago... when should I check in with the school on where I stand in the waitlist or should I just wait until they inform me eventually?

20 minutes ago, ssy018 said:

I was notified that I was waitlisted for a program a month ago... when should I check in with the school on where I stand in the waitlist or should I just wait until they inform me eventually?

Also interested in this... Not even sure who to reach out to or if I should just wait? But also wondering if showing my interest would be in any way beneficial...

2 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Also interested in this... Not even sure who to reach out to or if I should just wait? But also wondering if showing my interest would be in any way beneficial...

2 hours ago, ssy018 said:

Take this advice for what it’s worth (i.e., someone else on a waitlist and not on the admission’s side), but at this point in the application cycle, assuming your waitlist notification did not include a date for when they’d get back to you, I think it’s more than fair to reach out and ask. I’m sure they expect it to a certain extent and it never hurts to remind them that you exist and are still interested. Keep in mind though, they’ll most likely come back with sometime in mid-April, as all applicants with an offer have until then to accept or decline it. It’s likely they won’t know if anyone is coming off the waitlist anymore than you do.

As far as who to reach out to, I recently spoke with my department’s Admission Program Manager, who was very helpful!

Good luck!

5 hours ago, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Wow, ~$7500 is not a lot at all. Other schools are at least the low twenties and Brown is mid-thirties. I could maybe make the mid-to-high teens work, but that is not especially encouraging. I am coming from Boston so maybe I'm just underestimating how much the overall cost of living will decrease

I agree. Assuming that's ~$7500 per year, I know there are several schools that are in the low- to mid-thirties, with full tuition coverage and health insurance included. Hopefully we get a better idea of the funding soon to make a decision!

Looks like there are some acceptances in the Results section, but has anyone here been accepted to the Michigan PHD Epi program? I interviewed and since then have heard nothing... the interview was in January, and it's past mid-March now so just wondering when we were supposed to hear back (I did see some rejections from last week?)

1 hour ago, ASA15 said:

Looks like there are some acceptances in the Results section, but has anyone here been accepted to the Michigan PHD Epi program? I interviewed and since then have heard nothing... the interview was in January, and it's past mid-March now so just wondering when we were supposed to hear back (I did see some rejections from last week?)

Hi there! I was told all offers should have been made by now, because faculty had to submit their funding packages for students they intended to take last Friday. I know some people received a waitlist notification Friday, but if you haven't heard anything then I would definitely reach out and ask.

2 hours ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Hi there! I was told all offers should have been made by now, because faculty had to submit their funding packages for students they intended to take last Friday. I know some people received a waitlist notification Friday, but if you haven't heard anything then I would definitely reach out and ask.

Thanks for the info! Yes I was thinking it was weird and likely meant a waitlist or something of the sort. WIll reach out!