PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

Hi group members - 

I hope some folks can help with this question. I was accepted into a DrPH program (the only one I applied to) at Penn state and was waitlisted for a PhD at JHU. Penn State would offer tuition and a stipend. Does anyone think that a DrPH is worth it? I work full time and could continue if I pursue a DrPH. 

Please help!!

1 hour ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hi group members - 

I hope some folks can help with this question. I was accepted into a DrPH program (the only one I applied to) at Penn state and was waitlisted for a PhD at JHU. Penn State would offer tuition and a stipend. Does anyone think that a DrPH is worth it? I work full time and could continue if I pursue a DrPH. 

Please help!!

If the DrPH is funded that well, and they'll work with you so you don't have to give up your full-time job, I'd be hard pressed to see a reason why you should go with the PhD at Hopkins instead. The only difference between the two is really just "research heavy" vs. "practice heavy" - they're both doctorate degrees. Does the DrPH program give you opportunities to do research/focus your studies the way you want to? I have a friend who was accepted to a DrPH who says they've let her tailor her courses to where she's basically pursuing a PhD in Epi minus just two or three super advanced methods courses. She says she's very excited and doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. The only reason I could think of why you might consider waiting to hear from Hopkins is if you'd prefer something super research-focused like a PhD, but the DrPH is more "applied/leadership/etc" (that kind of flavor, ya know?) and won't let you tailor.

I hope that helps!! 

And congratulations on the acceptance! :)

Edited by hopingforahailmary

9 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

If the DrPH is funded that well, and they'll work with you so you don't have to give up your full-time job, I'd be hard pressed to see a reason why you should go with the PhD at Hopkins instead. The only difference between the two is really just "research heavy" vs. "practice heavy" - they're both doctorate degrees. Does the DrPH program give you opportunities to do research/focus your studies the way you want to? I have a friend who was accepted to a DrPH who says they've let her tailor her courses to where she's basically pursuing a PhD in Epi minus just two or three super advanced methods courses. She says she's very excited and doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. The only reason I could think of why you might consider waiting to hear from Hopkins is if you'd prefer something super research-focused like a PhD, but the DrPH is more "applied/leadership/etc" (that kind of flavor, ya know?) and won't let you tailor.

I hope that helps!! 

And congratulations on the acceptance! :)

Thanks so much for your response and it does help! I am going to ask Penn State if they have flexibility in their program. 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:48 PM, Juanito said:

My application status at UIC application portal has changed to "Additional review required", anyone knows what that means? I'm feeling so nervous. This is the school that I think has a higher chance of getting accepted.

Mine changed to that as well! Still not sure what it means- do you have any updates? 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, PHApplicant said:

Hi all. Has anyone heard back from Columbia's Environmental Health Sciences program? (interview, phone call, or anything) Thanks. 

I have not!!  I haven't heard anything from them yet. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of posts over the past application cycles regarding Columbia env health acceptances, so not much to go off of.

11 hours ago, phapp said:

I have not!!  I haven't heard anything from them yet. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of posts over the past application cycles regarding Columbia env health acceptances, so not much to go off of.

Hi. Thank you for letting me know there is someone in the same boat!  I did write to ask about the status on Monday, and they told me to wait until the end of next week. And yes, I did not see any acceptance for the past 4 years and make me wonder if they ever admitted doctoral students.

Just throwing this into the forum in case anyone is looking for info. But just received an acceptance to the Global Health UCSD-SDSU joint doctoral program on Sunday. I received an email, and was told an official letter was in the mail. No word on funding yet, but this was my top choice so I am stoked! Hoping funding is enough to make the final decision. 

If anyone out there is also accepted, or has heard about funding let me know! 

Does anyone know anyone who was accepted to JHU International Health other than the two posters on this thread? Obviously I'm not looking for names or anything like that, but the results page for this program is so darn sparse, it's making me a little crazy. I know it's possible that all those people don't know or care that this website exists, but the three or four results compared to the ten or more offers admissions told me they made doesn't jive. Not that this information really helps anyone, but with us being so down to the wire I'm a bit starved for movement on this forum and for any little tidbits.

Happy Monday to all!

1 hour ago, AtmChemEnvHealth said:

Has anyone heard any updates from UMich EHS? I saw one person got a rejection letter, but there has to be other people getting notifications, right?

Have you tried reaching out to admissions? At this stage in the game, if you haven't heard anything (acceptance/rejection or waitlist), then I think it's fair to ask when you can expect a decision either way. Especially since you're sitting on another offer and will need to be able to give them an answer.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, PHApplicant said:

Hi. Thank you for letting me know there is someone in the same boat!  I did write to ask about the status on Monday, and they told me to wait until the end of next week. And yes, I did not see any acceptance for the past 4 years and make me wonder if they ever admitted doctoral students.

I'm so glad you received some information from them! Waiting a few more days shouldn't be to bad...good luck! Who did you contact if I may ask?

1 hour ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Have you tried reaching out to admissions? At this stage in the game, if you haven't heard anything (acceptance/rejection or waitlist), then I think it's fair to ask when you can expect a decision either way. Especially since you're sitting on another offer and will need to be able to give them an answer.

I reached out to admissions a couple weeks ago and they said to expect a decision before 1 April. They did not speak to anything about my specific application status. I saw that someone got a rejection letter a couple days after I inquired from admissions, so I figured that there might be some lurkers on here that have heard back from them by now.

2 minutes ago, AtmChemEnvHealth said:

I reached out to admissions a couple weeks ago and they said to expect a decision before 1 April. They did not speak to anything about my specific application status. I saw that someone got a rejection letter a couple days after I inquired from admissions, so I figured that there might be some lurkers on here that have heard back from them by now.

Ahh. Well dang, I'm sorry it's taking so long and you haven't been able to squeeze any information out of the Café community. You're not alone in the waiting boat though! Not that that's much of a consolation.... but at least you only have this week left! Crossing my fingers you get good news when you finally get it!

4 hours ago, phapp said:

I'm so glad you received some information from them! Waiting a few more days shouldn't be to bad...good luck! Who did you contact if I may ask?

Sure. I contacted the Admission Office at ph-admit@columbia.edu. This was the email they gave when confirming my submission. 

For anyone waiting on UMN Epi, I just got an email about a scholarship and TAship. It referenced an acceptance letter that I never got. I haven't heard from them since January. 

On 3/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Wow, ~$7500 is not a lot at all. Other schools are at least the low twenties and Brown is mid-thirties. I could maybe make the mid-to-high teens work, but that is not especially encouraging. I am coming from Boston so maybe I'm just underestimating how much the overall cost of living will decrease

On 3/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, Epidemiology19 said:

I agree. Assuming that's ~$7500 per year, I know there are several schools that are in the low- to mid-thirties, with full tuition coverage and health insurance included. Hopefully we get a better idea of the funding soon to make a decision!

Sorry for being unclear, the $7500 is per semester (and I was low the first time, it's actually $7850). And I'll mention that this is the minimum stipend, so you may be able to find an RA or TA gig that pays more. Plus this is beneficial if your adviser doesn't have funding to pay your tuition already. This is my case for the Fall. My adviser only has funding available beginning in the Spring, so for the Fall semester I'm looking for a full-time RA/TA. So all total if you get a full-time RA/TA you're getting your tuition paid for, healthcare, and $15,700 for the year. Not counting whatever you do over the summer. 

I haven't lived outside of NC, but I do hear from others that cost of living is pretty low here, even though it's comparably high to other places I've lived in the state. I pay $1400/month for a two-bed, two-bath, 1200 sqft. apartment that's about a six minute drive from campus. 

52 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

@ASA15 Hiya! I was thinking of you today. Did you ever hear back from Michigan? I'm still waiting on JHU so hoping for good news for someone!

Yes! A few hours after sending the inquiry I got an email to check the portal and was waitlisted :/

Honestly- I'm fine with it. My partner matched into residency in Boston, which is where I did undergrad and have wanted to get back to. Currently in the process of applying to jobs that will give me some more experience in my research interest areas and will plan to reapply (likely in the northeast area- Harvard, Brown, Yale) in a year or two. I'm currently on Yale's waitlist which I think is the only place I'd accept at this point, if somehow ended up getting off the waitlist.

Good luck with JHU!!!

1 hour ago, ASA15 said:

Yes! A few hours after sending the inquiry I got an email to check the portal and was waitlisted :/

Honestly- I'm fine with it. My partner matched into residency in Boston, which is where I did undergrad and have wanted to get back to. Currently in the process of applying to jobs that will give me some more experience in my research interest areas and will plan to reapply (likely in the northeast area- Harvard, Brown, Yale) in a year or two. I'm currently on Yale's waitlist which I think is the only place I'd accept at this point, if somehow ended up getting off the waitlist.

Good luck with JHU!!!

Well, shoot. I'm sorry you didn't hear better news from Michigan. But it sounds like you have a solid game plan for the next few years! Best of luck on the job hunt then and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you and Yale!

8 hours ago, phapp said:

Hey! Did you find out if you got in? I was rejected.

Thank you for checking back! I also got rejected this week, unfortunately.  

I have been busy travelling so did not update my status. I heard that they've already interviewed students and will only take 4 eventually. 

Good luck!