dreams1214

PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

Hi group members - 

I hope some folks can help with this question. I was accepted into a DrPH program (the only one I applied to) at Penn state and was waitlisted for a PhD at JHU. Penn State would offer tuition and a stipend. Does anyone think that a DrPH is worth it? I work full time and could continue if I pursue a DrPH. 

Please help!!

1 hour ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hi group members - 

I hope some folks can help with this question. I was accepted into a DrPH program (the only one I applied to) at Penn state and was waitlisted for a PhD at JHU. Penn State would offer tuition and a stipend. Does anyone think that a DrPH is worth it? I work full time and could continue if I pursue a DrPH. 

Please help!!

If the DrPH is funded that well, and they'll work with you so you don't have to give up your full-time job, I'd be hard pressed to see a reason why you should go with the PhD at Hopkins instead. The only difference between the two is really just "research heavy" vs. "practice heavy" - they're both doctorate degrees. Does the DrPH program give you opportunities to do research/focus your studies the way you want to? I have a friend who was accepted to a DrPH who says they've let her tailor her courses to where she's basically pursuing a PhD in Epi minus just two or three super advanced methods courses. She says she's very excited and doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. The only reason I could think of why you might consider waiting to hear from Hopkins is if you'd prefer something super research-focused like a PhD, but the DrPH is more "applied/leadership/etc" (that kind of flavor, ya know?) and won't let you tailor.

I hope that helps!! 

And congratulations on the acceptance! :)

Edited by hopingforahailmary

9 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

If the DrPH is funded that well, and they'll work with you so you don't have to give up your full-time job, I'd be hard pressed to see a reason why you should go with the PhD at Hopkins instead. The only difference between the two is really just "research heavy" vs. "practice heavy" - they're both doctorate degrees. Does the DrPH program give you opportunities to do research/focus your studies the way you want to? I have a friend who was accepted to a DrPH who says they've let her tailor her courses to where she's basically pursuing a PhD in Epi minus just two or three super advanced methods courses. She says she's very excited and doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. The only reason I could think of why you might consider waiting to hear from Hopkins is if you'd prefer something super research-focused like a PhD, but the DrPH is more "applied/leadership/etc" (that kind of flavor, ya know?) and won't let you tailor.

I hope that helps!! 

And congratulations on the acceptance! :)

Thanks so much for your response and it does help! I am going to ask Penn State if they have flexibility in their program. 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:48 PM, Juanito said:

My application status at UIC application portal has changed to "Additional review required", anyone knows what that means? I'm feeling so nervous. This is the school that I think has a higher chance of getting accepted.

Mine changed to that as well! Still not sure what it means- do you have any updates?