PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

13 hours ago, Epistudent19 said:

Has anyone heard back about Harvard’s PHS or UNCs program in epidemiology ? I wonder if they have already emailed about interviews

Nope! Also applied to both, but no word. According to last year, it seems like people heard back from Harvard around Jan 9-10.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:40 AM, Pubhealth101 said:

Happy New Year! 

Has anyone gotten interview invitations yet? If so, how are you planning to prepare? 

I have heard nothing from any of the programs I applied to. I am hoping that the next couple weeks are productive for adcoms and we all get some news soon!

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know which programs definitely do interviews for Epi (besides Michigan)? It seems as though for some programs you can get accepted without an interview, but I don't know what to expect. I'm particularly curious about UNC, BU, Yale, Brown, and Harvard. Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know which programs definitely do interviews for Epi (besides Michigan)? It seems as though for some programs you can get accepted without an interview, but I don't know what to expect. I'm particularly curious about UNC, BU, Yale, Brown, and Harvard. Thanks in advance! 

I know Brown has a doctoral day to interview candidates from all programs, and I am 90% sure Harvard interviews as well. Not sure about the others.

12 hours ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

Hi all,

BU and Yale have doctoral interview days, I am pretty sure. Harvard does Skype interviews but I think some people are accepted without an interview, some interview once, and some interview a few times so not sure how it works.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:19 PM, ehs_phd_18 said:

Hey all,

Applied to 6 programs this fall: UMD, Johns Hopkins (where I got my master's), UC Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Harvard. Top choices are Berkeley and UMD, if funding works out for the latter.

So far, I've got an interview request from Hopkins last week for Jan 31 - Feb 2. I consider my relationship with the department relatively strong, so I wasn't too surprised by the request. Am very nervous about the other schools, though.

As far as statistics go, I have a 3.8+ from undergrad and master's, 160Q/161V/5.0AW GRE, and all of my work experience post-grad has been outside of the US, but I am an American citizen.

My statistics look pretty good (maybe a low GRE Q?), but I'm still nervous about my chances. I don't have any academic publications, and have had very little luck (2/6) with contacting potentials. During the applications season, I was also going through several successive family emergencies, and wasn't really able to focus much on the quality of my application, either. So fingers crossed! Wishing everyone else the best of luck, as well.

Hello, I just received an interview call from Johns Hopkins. I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on what the interview might entail?

1 hour ago, Epidemiology19 said:

Has anyone heard from Emory about their Visit Days yet? It’s listed on their website as Feb 7-8, so it seems like we should be hearing back about interviews soon.

I'm in the MPH program at Emory right now and also applied to the PhD program. Tim Lash, the dept chair told me 'mid January' but it seems like last year they sent the emails out around the end of this week (based on Grad Cafe's past admission results ). Will post to that if I hear back.

Edited by confounder

34 minutes ago, confounder said:

I'm in the MPH program at Emory right now and also applied to the PhD program. Tim Lash, the dept chair told me 'mid January' but it seems like last year they sent the emails out around the end of this week (based on Grad Cafe's past admission results ). Will post to that if I hear back.

Thanks for the insight! I noticed the same thing about the timeline last year. Guess mid-January isn’t that far off at this point. Good luck to you!

Population, Family and Reproductive Health. Any idea what goes down in the interview? 

2 hours ago, saga2113 said:

Which PhD program at Hopkins are you applying to?

4 hours ago, Epistudent19 said:

Which program is it for? 

Is anyone in a similar boat? I'm applying to PhD in Epidemiology programs without a masters. I want to become a psychiatric epidemiologist, but the field is new to me and I am wary of the cost of masters programs. Most of my background is in psychology and neuroscience (4 years of undergraduate research and 3+ years of full-time research), so it's largely relevant, missing some of the epidemiology/population techniques. It seems like this field is, unlike psychology or neuroscience, largely requiring a masters degree. I had several schools tell me they wouldn't consider my application without a masters, which was disheartening but it makes sense if that's where you'll receive the needed training. Of the few that didn't, I was able to connect with POI's and had good conversations so that was encouraging to apply.

8 minutes ago, saga2113 said:

Has anyone heard yet from Brown regarding interviews? Based on previous years it looks like invites should be out very soon.

Not really-- I reached out a couple days ago and was told that recruitment day (interviews) will be Jan 25 and that all candidates being considered for admission will be invited (so no invite = rejected). They wouldn't say when invites were coming out but it looks like maybe tomorrow or early next week based on the results page? 

32 minutes ago, EpiMexico said:

Got an interview for PhD in Population Science at Harvard (Cancer Epi). Does anyone know if they interview every prospective student or should I be celebrating....at least a bit? 

Also any tips to prepare for the interview?

They definitely don't interview everyone. Celebrate!

49 minutes ago, EpiMexico said:

Got an interview for PhD in Population Science at Harvard (Cancer Epi). Does anyone know if they interview every prospective student or should I be celebrating....at least a bit? 

Congrats!!! Definitely celebrate!!!

And here's to spending the rest of today and tomorrow refreshing my email continuously... :) 

1 hour ago, EpiMexico said:

Congrats. I also applied for the same program (epi method track) but have not heard from anything. I did meet with my potential supervisor at the JSM in 2018 but I don't think it was an interview. 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, welp said:

Is anyone in a similar boat? I'm applying to PhD in Epidemiology programs without a masters. I want to become a psychiatric epidemiologist, but the field is new to me and I am wary of the cost of masters programs. Most of my background is in psychology and neuroscience (4 years of undergraduate research and 3+ years of full-time research), so it's largely relevant, missing some of the epidemiology/population techniques. It seems like this field is, unlike psychology or neuroscience, largely requiring a masters degree. I had several schools tell me they wouldn't consider my application without a masters, which was disheartening but it makes sense if that's where you'll receive the needed training. Of the few that didn't, I was able to connect with POI's and had good conversations so that was encouraging to apply.

I have a masters so I can't say I'm in the same situation, but I do have significant student loans from my masters degree. If you can go straight to the PhD without it, more power to you! Wishing you luck, and fingers crossed :) 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, welp said:

Yale does admit students without a master degree (even students without post-bac research experience), but you should be a perfect fit for the program. 

17 hours ago, Dil said:

Congrats. I also applied for the same program (epi method track) but have not heard from anything. I did meet with my potential supervisor at the JSM in 2018 but I don't think it was an interview. 

17 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Congrats!!! Definitely celebrate!!!

And here's to spending the rest of today and tomorrow refreshing my email continuously... :) 

I was contacted by the head the Cancer Epidemiology Program, so I think every program is taking a different time to interview their prospective students. I was also told they do not necessarily interview every student they accept. 

3 hours ago, EpiMexico said:

OK. Thanks for sharing your experience. When is your interview?

I was contacted by the head the Cancer Epidemiology Program, so I think every program is taking a different time to interview their prospective students. I was also told they do not necessarily interview every student they accept. 

Received a phone interview invitation from Boston University (Health Services Research PhD program) a couple of days ago.  The lucky ones passing that round will be invited to the Prospective Students' Day in February.