PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

On 1/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, ASA15 said:

Nope! Also applied to both, but no word. According to last year, it seems like people heard back from Harvard around Jan 9-10.

Looks like a bunch of interview have gone out - it was a reach so i doubt I would even be considered without an interview.

anyone hear back from the Pharmacoepidemiology track ?

unc does phone and Skype interviews I think for the person who asked 

Edited by Epistudent19

6 hours ago, worldpeace said:

Has anyone heard back from Harvard's PHS in global health and population? or Brown's Epi? or Hopkins' epi? 

Hey, I've been looking out for news on Harvard's PHS in global health and population. I figured all of the PHS departments will send out mails together. But that doesn't appear to be the case unless I haven't heard anything because I've been rejected. So, no clue.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:26 PM, epi_hopeful19 said:

I have a masters so I can't say I'm in the same situation, but I do have significant student loans from my masters degree. If you can go straight to the PhD without it, more power to you! Wishing you luck, and fingers crossed :) 

Thanks!! Do you think you could have learned the skills from your masters elsewhere? I did apply to masters and I'm excited to do one when I don't think of the debt.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, SONJAHiver said:

Yale does admit students without a master degree (even students without post-bac research experience), but you should be a perfect fit for the program. 

Ah gotcha..that sounds like a very select few. 

Nutrition is a relatively small area in public health, but it is a very important and useful one! Tell us your experiences of applying for nutrition-related concentrations in schools of public health!

On 1/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, welp said:

Thanks!! Do you think you could have learned the skills from your masters elsewhere? I did apply to masters and I'm excited to do one when I don't think of the debt.

Ah gotcha..that sounds like a very select few. 

I think a lot of PhD programs actually cover the same coursework people take during a masters- so in that sense, going straight to PhD means you wouldn't be missing out on whatever masters students learn. As for learning the masters skills elsewhere (research job, fellowship, etc) - I think you could learn some, but not all. I think my masters gave me broad background in public health/epi/biostats. I've used/sharpened some of those skills at work, but don't think working would give me the same breadth of knowledge that the masters did. One consideration if you do wind up with debt from a masters and then do a PhD is the NIH loan repayment program: https://www.lrp.nih.gov/  It provides 35k/year for 2 years directly towards your student loans (given that you meet certain criteria)- I absolutely plan to apply for it post-PhD!

20 minutes ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

I think a lot of PhD programs actually cover the same coursework people take during a masters- so in that sense, going straight to PhD means you wouldn't be missing out on whatever masters students learn. As for learning the masters skills elsewhere (research job, fellowship, etc) - I think you could learn some, but not all. I think my masters gave me broad background in public health/epi/biostats. I've used/sharpened some of those skills at work, but don't think working would give me the same breadth of knowledge that the masters did. One consideration if you do wind up with debt from a masters and then do a PhD is the NIH loan repayment program: https://www.lrp.nih.gov/  It provides 35k/year for 2 years directly towards your student loans (given that you meet certain criteria)- I absolutely plan to apply for it post-PhD!

Really helpful! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm definitely bookmarking the NIH loan repayment program. 

I just got my first rejection email from Emory University. This is for their Epidemiology program. Waiting to hear from Hopkins, UW, and UNC.

Edited by MK42

Hello everyone. I try not to stay away from grad cafe but always find myself coming back. 

I was also rejected from Emory today.

Rejected: Emory, JHU

Accepted: UPitt (PhD Epidemiology) 

Waiting: UNC, Columbia, Harvard, Tulane

1 hour ago, dp135 said:

Hello everyone. I try not to stay away from grad cafe but always find myself coming back. 

Congrats on your being accepted to UPitt! That is so early. Did you have an interview or something? Thanks.

1 hour ago, PHApplicant said:

Congrats on your being accepted to UPitt! That is so early. Did you have an interview or something? Thanks.

Thank you! ? No, I did not have an interview. I received an email on 1/9 with their decision.

2 hours ago, princeton312 said:

Has anyone heard of Brown's Health Services Research track? I noticed applicants in other tracks had received emails regarding interview. Trying to decide if it's time to cut my losses. 

I applied for the same program and did not receive emails for an interview either. Based on the statistics last few years, I assume they have sent out all emails last week.

39 minutes ago, sp1215 said:

Did anyone apply to any of the tracks within Northwestern's Health Sciences Integrated PhD program and receive any information about interviews yet? 

Nope, because I had no idea that program existed. Just looked at their website now-- looks fantastic. If I don't get in anywhere this year, I might send an application next year. Good luck!

7 hours ago, dp135 said:

Congrats on your first admission, if you don't mind me asking, which program did you apply to at Hopkins?