Fall 2019 Applicants

WRS

21 hours ago, Bad Dreams said:

I have the same question about UChicago.

Me too. From what I know, UChicago has conducted interviews in previous years, but not on a regular basis. I guess they might be requested in specific cases... as far as I know, people have been accepted without being interviewed. Has anybody gone through this process in previous years to shed more light on this? 

Recent UChicago interview poster here. Feel free to message me for any specifics. The interview/convo was fairly informal and was only with persons referenced in my SOP. I don't know if other members of the department are doing interviews, so I don't think people who haven't gotten follow up messages re: applications need to worry/overthink anything. 

has anyone started hearing back? 

two of my colleagues heard back (acceptances) from two different schools over the past week; was wondering what the general status of MA / PhD acceptances was at this time. i know it's still early but now that i know they've started hearing back i can't stop refreshing my email! 

2 hours ago, bostoff said:

two of my colleagues heard back (acceptances) from two different schools over the past week; was wondering what the general status of MA / PhD acceptances was at this time. i know it's still early but now that i know they've started hearing back i can't stop refreshing my email! 

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q="art+history"

Edited by chiaro.scuro

Guest tarsila89
1 hour ago, bostoff said:

Really, which schools? I haven't heard anything concrete, but I did get an email from my POI at Toronto. He said he's secured funding to have a PhD student as an assistant (I think he's writing a book) and he was offering it to me. Anyway, it's still not an acceptance from the committee, but I think it's a good sign? 

It seems like art history is always a little behind other fields. Some specialties are worse than others. I didn't hear about my master's until April, and deadlines were in mid December. Of course that was 2010, and everything was still done by mail.  I almost wish it was still done by mail, it would keep me from checking my email 100000 times a day.

Does anyone know anything about when Ohio State sends out notifications? I noticed that in the past they have sent letters out in January, February, and March. This makes me think that each POI sends things out on their own timeline. I noticed that someone received a very early acceptance (January 9th). I would love to know what area that early acceptance came from. 

Guest tarsila89
19 hours ago, ....... said:

Does anyone know anything about when Ohio State sends out notifications? I noticed that in the past they have sent letters out in January, February, and March. This makes me think that each POI sends things out on their own timeline. I noticed that someone received a very early acceptance (January 9th). I would love to know what area that early acceptance came from. 

Could it also be that they go through a few rounds of wait list? 

hi -- congratulations to all the results board acceptances and interviews! (I finally created an account because the antsiness is getting real.)

to the Northwestern waitlist, if you're out there, could you please share if the email had any details? were you one of the interviews?

Guest tarsila89
2 hours ago, concombre said:

hi -- congratulations to all the results board acceptances and interviews! (I finally created an account because the antsiness is getting real.)

to the Northwestern waitlist, if you're out there, could you please share if the email had any details? were you one of the interviews?

Yes, guys, let’s share more details here! I’ve been on these foruns before and I’ve never seen one where people were so reticent to claim interviews, acceptances, say their area of research etc. I wonder why. Maybe it’s just the tense zeitgeist of our time?  Anyway, I can share that I’m pretty sure I don’t have any chances in Berkeley since I didn’t get an interview and my POI stopped responding me. I’m still hoping for something in Canada, we’ll see!

On 1/26/2019 at 6:27 PM, concombre said:

I got an interview with Northwestern, but I am pretty sure I won't be accepted. I expected to have an interview with my POI, but instead there was another faculty member from a different field who didn't seem to understand some nuances of my research (my area is quite specific), so just by the voice I could tell that she wasn't impressed and interested. It is little disappointing, because I really wanted to speak with my POI, but still hope to hear from other top schools 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, Mazinha88 said:

Yes, guys, let’s share more details here! I’ve been on these foruns before and I’ve never seen one where people were so reticent to claim interviews, acceptances, say their area of research etc. I wonder why. Maybe it’s just the tense zeitgeist of our time?  Anyway, I can share that I’m pretty sure I don’t have any chances in Berkeley since I didn’t get an interview and my POI stopped responding me. I’m still hoping for something in Canada, we’ll see!

I am sorry to hear that you POI stopped responding, it always upsets me. But may be it's also an intense period for the faculty, so he/she will reply even if you are not accepted.

I wanted to claim my admission at Northwestern, got a letter from the Director of Graduate Studies on Friday. It's a very early notification but I am so happy that I don't have to think about it anymore! It was my top choice and I am very overwhelmed to know that the faculty choose me with a very specific topic. My research focuses on the intersection of African diaspora art and the art of the Soviet Union. I also applied to University of Chicago and Harvard; I will wait for their decisions but I am sure I will go to Northwestern as it seems to be just a perfect fit for me. I am also very excited to work with my POIs at Northwestern, I am a big fan of their work and believe that it will me an amazing academic journey for me.

@almakan I am curious what is the focus of your research, could you share it in pm? 

Good luck to everyone guys!

Guest tarsila89
3 hours ago, artsyrobot said:

I am sorry to hear that you POI stopped responding, it always upsets me. But may be it's also an intense period for the faculty, so he/she will reply even if you are not accepted.

I wanted to claim my admission at Northwestern, got a letter from the Director of Graduate Studies on Friday. It's a very early notification but I am so happy that I don't have to think about it anymore! It was my top choice and I am very overwhelmed to know that the faculty choose me with a very specific topic. My research focuses on the intersection of African diaspora art and the art of the Soviet Union. I also applied to University of Chicago and Harvard; I will wait for their decisions but I am sure I will go to Northwestern as it seems to be just a perfect fit for me. I am also very excited to work with my POIs at Northwestern, I am a big fan of their work and believe that it will me an amazing academic journey for me.

@almakan I am curious what is the focus of your research, could you share it in pm? 

Good luck to everyone guys!

Congratulations, that’s great!!!

10 hours ago, TheDarkOne said:

Anyone else applied to the UCSD program? 

Hey! I did and was accepted, a think one or two others were: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=art+history&t=a&o=

PM me for any info. 

Re: why people aren't sharing info—personally, I'm paranoid about throwing anything onto the internet. If anyone got really specific about their acceptances or narrow area of interests, it would be really easy for a POI or department chair to decipher who you are. Not that we're doing anything wrong by being on this forum, but these posts are not our most thought out prose, and—at least for me—everything ever is super embarrassing! If you have multiple acceptances you don't necessarily want schools knowing about it... In all likelihood no one on the admissions committee is lurking on the GradCafe, but who knows!

I applied to programs in modern and contemporary and have posted some acceptances, I am happy to talk to anyone on PM! 

18 hours ago, KynaMeow said:

Another deadly silent day

I had the saddest dream that I had received two acceptances through the night. Check the portals first thing in the morning just to find the same silence ?