Fall 2019 Applicants

WRS

7 hours ago, FiLoveU said:

I had to check my 'promotions" tab on my gmail to get a rejection/deferred to the MA, but I don't have a Decision Document link, so might be a good sign for you... good luck! 

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but it's a no for them unfortunately =(

Guest tarsila89

Did anyone here apply to British Columbia? I heard from a friend there that decisions might have gone out but there is nothing on the results page here, so I'm just curious. Thanks!

Have any MA Penn applicants heard anything? My friend was wait listed for the PhD but I haven't heard anything. My app still says "ready for review" so I don't know if they've even looked at it yet.

I have a question about U Chicago-- I got rejected from the PhD program, but deferred to the MA. I understand the reservations held by many people on this forum about the MAPH program, but I do have a couple of questions. Is it likely for me to still be accepted to the MAPH program because of this deferral; I mean, does it increase my odds in any way? Does everyone get automatically deferred to MAPH? I know it says otherwise in the email, but I wanted to double check...

6 minutes ago, WRS said:

I have a question about U Chicago-- I got rejected from the PhD program, but deferred to the MA. I understand the reservations held by many people on this forum about the MAPH program, but I do have a couple of questions. Is it likely for me to still be accepted to the MAPH program because of this deferral; I mean, does it increase my odds in any way? Does everyone get automatically deferred to MAPH? I know it says otherwise in the email, but I wanted to double check...

I think many people experience this and ultimately do get into the MAPH problem. Unless you are funded with a stipend, I would not take the offer. 

11 minutes ago, mrssalad said:

I think many people experience this and ultimately do get into the MAPH problem. Unless you are funded with a stipend, I would not take the offer. 

Yes, I agree and am aware of this. Thanks!

@WRS 

20 minutes ago, WRS said:

looking back on the acceptances from this year and last year, I think that people on the gradcafe get deferred to MAPH... that is to say, people with real, strong cases for why they want to pursue an art history Ph.D. and are nutso enough for gradcafe have strong enough applications that when rejected for the Ph.D. are good enough for MAPH. I'm sure that places like UChicago get plenty of applications for Ph.D. programs that are kinda automatic throw aways, like that didn't have a writing sample, or are proposing something really unrelated, and those applications don't get deferred. Theres no reason for them not to want to educate people who are smart and willing to pay them.

If you really love UChicago and either have funding or enough of your own money to get an MA without going into debt, I bet its worth looking into, maybe trying to figure out what Ph.D. programs grads from the MAPH get into, or even asking some of those students if they had better Ph.D. offers coming out of MAPH than they did before they got an MA. I think most people say "forgetaboutit" to the MAPH because they're weighing paying $100,000 to read books against getting paid (all be it minimum wage) to read books, even somewhere less "prestigious," but personally I think its valid for everyone to make financial and life decisions that make sense for them... but going into debt for a humanities degree I think is usually a bad idea.

1 hour ago, WRS said:

Not everyone gets automatically deferred to MAPH, and not everyone deferred gets in. They have a separate review process and it's still a success and something to be proud of to get through that. Maybe the program had a different reputation on gradcafe ten years ago, but I heard that current MAPH class is largest to date, so they don't "need" to accept everyone and there is no need to doubt their selection process :)

It seems like all Harvard acceptance letters have already been sent☹️ I had micro-hope that I would be at least waitlisted, but alas...now waiting for a rejection so can move on 

Btw, if to choose between UIUC and IFA, which school would be better for modern art? IFA sounds exciting, but I heard from one of the students that the atmosphere there isn't very friendly, but quite competitive and can be even passive aggressive (talking about student body), because there are lot of students and the school itself is small and isolated from the rest of NYU...hope it is not true, but does any of you have any insights? 

3 hours ago, evelynne said:

Not everyone gets automatically deferred to MAPH, and not everyone deferred gets in. They have a separate review process and it's still a success and something to be proud of to get through that. Maybe the program had a different reputation on gradcafe ten years ago, but I heard that current MAPH class is largest to date, so they don't "need" to accept everyone and there is no need to doubt their selection process :)

I am currently attending another top program and was rejected from U of Chicago's art history department and put in MAPH 2 years ago (with no funding). If you want a Masters degree to then get a PhD in art history, I'd advisee looking at specific MA programs in art history that offer funding. 

20 hours ago, Chuikov74 said:

It seems like all Harvard acceptance letters have already been sent☹️ I had micro-hope that I would be at least waitlisted, but alas...now waiting for a rejection so can move on 

Btw, if to choose between UIUC and IFA, which school would be better for modern art? IFA sounds exciting, but I heard from one of the students that the atmosphere there isn't very friendly, but quite competitive and can be even passive aggressive (talking about student body), because there are lot of students and the school itself is small and isolated from the rest of NYU...hope it is not true, but does any of you have any insights? 

If you are looking at the PHD this is a no brainer. Go to IFA. IFA is arguably one the top five (if not top 2 or 3) programs in existence, when it comes to placements and fellowships. UIUC is two, maybe three tiers below. IFA used to be very cut throat in the past because they made students compete for funding and there was a two-tiered funded/unfunded hierarchy within the student body, but apparently this is no longer the case and everyone is funded at the same rate.

If you've been accepted to the MA I would have the opposite advice. The IFA MA is a major "cash cow" program, and unless you are independently wealthy it's not worth going into $100k+ debt over. 

6 hours ago, Lynnnn said:

Anyone accepted into SAIC for art history, theory and criticism? It seems that the courses offered there and professors' interests really fit into my interests, but I'm still not sure how is that program. 

(btw anyone knows anything about UIC's art history program??)

I was accepted to SAIC for the MA in Art History. Were you also? 

Does anyone know the reputation of the program? 

Does anyone want to claim the Williams acceptances? I got the admission letter yesterday, but did not see any mention of scholarship (I checked the "still willing to attend even with no financial aid" box when applying...). I'm thinking about asking for financial aid but do not know how to do it / if it is doable. Any suggestion would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Guest Artgirll

Mcgill and Toronto posters, are you willing to share area of concentration? Or just the response deadline you were given? I’m wondering if all the admissions have been sent out or not.