2019 Applicants

6 minutes ago, Mumasatus said:

That is certainly good news. 

@Mumasatus More and more schools are no longer requiring the GRE (general or subject)! Stanford and Harvard also both took it off the requirements. And from the research I've done, SoP, LoRs, and WS are far and away the more important aspects of the app. Best of luck to your daughter!!!

6 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

@Mumasatus More and more schools are no longer requiring the GRE (general or subject)! Stanford and Harvard also both took it off the requirements. And from the research I've done, SoP, LoRs, and WS are far and away the more important aspects of the app. Best of luck to your daughter!!!

Harvard and Michigan took it off? I only knew about Stanford.

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

Harvard and Michigan took it off? I only knew about Stanford.

Yep! Good riddance, GREs!! 

On a side note, I'm not sure if this was always the case (since this is my first year applying), but Harvard now requires two writing samples instead of one. I suppose this gives their admissions committee more material by which they can holistically assess their applicants, though I really can't imagine them slogging through 25-30 pages of written work per applicant. 

Yeah Harvard has asked for two for a while. A little peeved that Harvard changed it now because I checked in September/October and they had both the GRE and Subject test as required so I moved along because I didn’t want to take the Subject test (money/time). Would be nice if these requirements (and program ans faculty changes) were reflected on the website in advance of application season.

34 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Yeah Harvard has asked for two for a while. A little peeved that Harvard changed it now because I checked in September/October and they had both the GRE and Subject test as required so I moved along because I didn’t want to take the Subject test (money/time). Would be nice if these requirements (and program ans faculty changes) were reflected on the website in advance of application season.

Well, the application deadline's not until Jan 2, so you technically still have a couple more days to put together an application, though there, realistically, isn't much time if you don't already have a second writing sample. (But if you do, and if you're able to get hold of your letter writers over the holidays, it is, perhaps, doable..?) 

i haven't had doubts but more am just afraid that i left some bizarre, glaring error in an sop or uploaded what looks like the right filename but it's really the script to bee movie in its entirety or something... had both those nightmares this week. 

1 hour ago, jadeisokay said:

i haven't had doubts but more am just afraid that i left some bizarre, glaring error in an sop or uploaded what looks like the right filename but it's really the script to bee movie in its entirety or something... had both those nightmares this week. 

I think that's perfectly normal for this part of the cycle. Means you care about this applications.  I found it was best to ignore the temptation to open such files until after the cycle is over.

6 hours ago, placeinspace said:

Is anyone else starting to have doubts about their chosen path now that apps are in? I'm trying to figure out if my fear of rejection is causing me to doubt my grad school plan and is a normal part of the process or whether I really am changing my mind...

I think this happens to people even after getting acceptances. There have always been a few people who decide to turn down one or multiple offers each cycle because they realize that a PHD won't bring them the satisfaction they want or they can accomplish what they want without a Ph.D. A Ph.D. is a lifestyle change for many that involves great sacrifices. For some, the application process helps them realize they felt like they were being forced to apply because they were trying to escape something or because they liked the idea of it. For others, it serves as greater motivation to try again regardless of the outcome. There is nothing wrong with either scenario because life is complicated and the right job for one person isn't the right path for another.

On a different note: When weighing schools, think carefully about what specifically you'd like to do and where'd you like to teach. Equally important, think about your desire to teach vs your desire to research. Some colleges are really great at research; others are really great at getting you teaching opportunities. Both will have a different outcome. T20 programs have traditionally been better at placing at research institutions, but a lot of community colleges + teaching-focused colleges/small liberal arts colleges are hesistant to hire graduates from T20 programs because they often fear that the applicant will leave them for when a research institution is hiring and they believe that students don't have enough teaching experience or passion. From my conversations with multiple directors at T20 programs in recent years, it seems that some programs actively discourage their students from applying to anything but research institutions because it allows them to maintain their prestige and more easily allows their research ideas to spread.  Think carefully about the environment that you'd like to immerse yourself in and try to think about the long term strategy. If there's a specific city you'd like to work in, I'd encourage you to explore some of the colleges in that city and see if you can pick up on a trend. Oftentimes, some colleges don't have the resources to put jobs on the Job Market and e-mail available opportunities to nearby graduate programs. From other conversations I've had, a lot of people decide that they don't want to leave their city or have family commitments that make them unable to enter the Job Market. If there's something you want to obtain from your time in a program, talk to the directors and coordinator and see how possible it would be to obtain their support. That support will be more valuable than most things would be if it makes you happier which in turn will likely make you more productive. :)

5 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

Well, the application deadline's not until Jan 2, so you technically still have a couple more days to put together an application, though there, realistically, isn't much time if you don't already have a second writing sample. (But if you do, and if you're able to get hold of your letter writers over the holidays, it is, perhaps, doable..?) 

As an international student I need to submit TOEFL results, too. It's possible that I can get something done in time but I highly doubt something I pull out of my ass will be competitive, especially without much time to research proper fit. Not even sure if the fit is there, honestly.

Hi @Mumasatus, I'm currently finishing up a Master's of Library Science at the UIUC iSchool and would be happy to answer any questions you or your daughter might have about the program. Also, I scored a 4 on the AW section and have a truly awful Quant score and haven't found either to be an issue so far.  

hi all! i graduated from a funded Master's program this last year, and after a close-but-no-cigar at Notre Dame last cycle, i'm here again with a longer list of schools and better material to work with. my BA/work experience before my MA is in another field, though not entirely unrelated to my research. i'm primarily interested in studying affect theory as applied to nonhuman bodies and natures in contemporary science fiction film and literature. my fingers are crossed for Notre Dame since i've made a connection with my POI, but i'd be happy anywhere at this point. i took a long enough break after my BA and didn't really want a break after my MA, but life never quite goes the way you want, right?

at this point, i'm starting to think of which schools i'll add (or remove) for next year if i have to do this all over again. contingency plans are really the only thing that keep me sane when i'm experiencing high levels of anxiety. anyone else like that?

so what is everyone's dream program and why? and on the other hand, if you don't get in anywhere, is there anything you can fall back on that doesn't make you feel sick about facing another application cycle?

edit: i forgot to mention i've been lurking for a while but felt too intimidated to join into the conversation. this is me trying to convince myself i'm not an imposter lol

Edited by chesire
added more

@mandelbulb Is your profile picture from Annihilation!? That was one of my favorite films of the year.

6 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

so what is everyone's dream program and why?

Dream program is currently Michigan; I'm really excited by the intersectionality and interdisciplinality of their department. I had a few skype calls with current students/recent grads and they emphasized that the program is rigorous, but has a culture of social/communal learning and collaboration, and that's a really good fit for how I learn and research! Plus, so excited by the work of Valerie Traub, Xiomara Santamarina, and Megan Sweeney. The way Michigan fosters connections between Women's Studies/Gender Studies and English is also a great fit for my interests. Only downside is the weather...

If I don't get in, I'm going to take training to become a part time yoga instructor, and then try again on the next cycle. The consoling thought is that I can take six to eight months really pursuing holistic wellbeing, and that I would have more time to bolster my application and CV. I'm not expecting to get in this cycle, so I'm basically taking my backup plan as reality. 

8 hours ago, WildeThing said:

As an international student I need to submit TOEFL results, too. It's possible that I can get something done in time but I highly doubt something I pull out of my ass will be competitive, especially without much time to research proper fit. Not even sure if the fit is there, honestly.

Ah, I didn't know you're an international student too! (On that note, how much of a waste of time and money is the TOEFL?? You'd think that having studied ENGLISH literature for about, or at least four years, we'd be sufficiently able to communicate in the language itself... ?) But anyway, it's a wise choice to put off applying in this cycle, I suppose, especially seeing as Harvard's program tends to skew towards being more traditional, still, not to mention that their application fees are rather exorbitant. Nonetheless, if you're thinking of applying in the future, I believe Glenda Carpio and Henry Louis Gates Jr (amongst others) work quite extensively in your areas of interest. And then there's Homi Bhabha, of course...

7 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

so what is everyone's dream program and why? and on the other hand, if you don't get in anywhere, is there anything you can fall back on that doesn't make you feel sick about facing another application cycle?

It's currently a toss-up between Columbia and Chicago. On one hand, there's Marianne Hirsch at Columbia; on the other, there's Lauren Berlant at Chicago... How to choose, how to choose — as if one could even be so lucky to be offered that choice in the first place. To be honest, I think I'd be more than happy at all the programs to which I've applied, though Duke does present a slight challenge since I've always been more fond of living in (or at least, close to) a big city. But who knows, I could like North Carolina after all. 

At this point, all I'd like is an acceptance (just one will do!!), because I don't really have a satisfactory Plan B, except to proceed on to do a masters at my current university. I could go back into journalism or take up a gallery internship, and maybe do some language courses on the side, but I'm just afraid the pause will lead me to stagnate. 

@mandelbulb welcome, it's nice to see another cinema/literature ticket-splitter here. Your research sounds cool and very similar to my own, at least the affect and embodiment angle. I'm sure we have a few overlapping POIs. :]

I have a few dream programs for various reasons. It would be miraculous to get into any of these:

1. Stanford is where Scott Bukatman is working, and he is my #1 academic because his research constellates a similar focus on animation, embodiment, and technologically mediated consciousness. Their Modern Thought and Literature department is also built on an interdisciplinary flexbility that will allow me to construct my own curricular center of gravity around the overlap between cinema studies, ecocriticism and neurohumanities. Super neat!
  2. Chicago is where many, many theorists whose work I adore are currently working. Sianne Ngai (affect queen!!), Lauren Berlant, David Rodowick, James Lastra, and Tom Gunning are all teaching there.
  3. UCLA is where my undergraduate mentor's dissertation advisor from her Ph.D. is currently teaching, as well as a ton of other faculty doing ecocriticism. UCLA also has some cool interdepartmental resources like the Laboratory for Environmental Narrative Strategies. It's a very politically engaged school and that's important to me.

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm going to continue working at my comfortable tech industry customer service job and apply again next year. Anyone here can PM me with questions about finding a job—I've only found the one I currently have but I'll be happy to offer my two cents if you're feeling anxious about it. :]

I don't really feel like I have a dream program. Every time I go into one of the department websites I decide that that one is my number one, and it fluctuates daily. In terms of location, my favorite would probably be UT Austin, and the least so would have to be the NYC schools (I honestly don't know how I'll be able to afford to live there). Since if I'm accepted anywhere, I'll be dragging my significant-other along with me halfway across the world, I have the added stress of his ability to find a job in his field etc. Thankfully, he's an American citizen, so no work-visa issues...

If I don't get in, I have a few ideas of what I could do but no real plan. I don't think I'll be able to go through a second round of apps both money-wise and life-wise. But who knows?

16 hours ago, WildeThing said:

As an international student I need to submit TOEFL results, too

7 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

how much of a waste of time and money is the TOEFL?? You'd think that having studied ENGLISH literature for about, or at least four years, we'd be sufficiently able to communicate in the language itself

The TOEFL was an idiotic waste of money, especially considering that all of the schools I applied to required the GRE, whose V section is obviously much more difficult. Why both for crying out loud?? On the other hand, now there's ample confirmation that my English skills are unequivocally up to snuff. As if the 20 page WS, SoP, and LoR's wouldn't have been more indicative of that anyway... Salt up the wazoo on this.

27 minutes ago, beardedlady said:

Every time I go into one of the department websites I decide that that one is my number one,

This is how I am too! Honestly I only applied to schools with at least 3-4 POIs that are a good fit for my research, that offer good funding for the PhD program, and are in places that I would want to live. So every school feels like a good fit, and would be a dream! My "top" choice switches between Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, and Columbia every few weeks, although they're all sort of a reach.

@beardedlady you can dm me if you have any questions about UT Austin English faculty, or about the university in general :) it sounds like your POIs might include Ann Cvetkovich and Julie Minich, who I don't know personally but have heard wonderful things about

Edited by dilby
corrected tag

18 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

If I'm being completely honest, I'm infatuated with every program I've applied to. But if I had to choose, it'd have to be UCSD. They have some serious all-stars in literary studies– including Shelley Streeby, who is really, I think, one of the great contemporary U.S. scholars. And their program is described as an in-between of a Comp. Lit. and English program. So I sold myself as a scholar of English literature with significant training in German, but I plan to try to strengthen my Spanish and French (mostly for philosophy/theory) along the way. 

Crazy to think adcoms are going to be looking at our materials within the next few weeks ?definitely not freaking out!

12 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

Ah, I didn't know you're an international student too! (On that note, how much of a waste of time and money is the TOEFL?? You'd think that having studied ENGLISH literature for about, or at least four years, we'd be sufficiently able to communicate in the language itself... ?) But anyway, it's a wise choice to put off applying in this cycle, I suppose, especially seeing as Harvard's program tends to skew towards being more traditional, still, not to mention that their application fees are rather exorbitant. Nonetheless, if you're thinking of applying in the future, I believe Glenda Carpio and Henry Louis Gates Jr (amongst others) work quite extensively in your areas of interest. And then there's Homi Bhabha, of course...

Yeah, it's probably just a Graduate School requirement, but still seems silly. Bhabha, Gates Jr and Carpio are all awesome and I would have loved to work with them but I have generally tried to avoid relying on the big names in my applications. In all likelihood they're getting a lot of mentions from other applicants but are also more likely to be unavailable due to research stays and projects. Outside of Carpio and Gates Jr there are a few new hires in Af-Am, but I haven't had much of a chance to research their work to see if we would mesh

20 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

As others have said, I go back and forth depending on which program I looked at last but Emory, Columbia, and Brown are up there. All great schools in cities I'd like to live in and some good fit as they're all strong in Af-Am and Critical Theory. Worried about cost of living in NY but then again that's going to be an issue everywhere and my wife would prefer NY.

This is my second cycle and by the time I finish I will have done 4 years of graduate-level work over 3 degrees so if it doesn't work out I think I'm done. I will probably try to get certified as a secondary teacher in my home country and use the certification process as the basis to do a PhD in Education and maybe get into academia here through the backdoor. Not the best but PhDs here don't pay and you can teach literature with a different PhD so might as well get two birds.

yay convo distractions!!! i'm definitely in the any-acceptance-is-a-dream boat, but if i were in a rare and particularly worthy mood, maybe I'd dare say Harvard housed my dream program--literally most of the scholars I love are sitting over there.

(also Columbia's got some dope Comp Lit stuff going on--not to mention their institute founded by none other than Gayatri herself)

I Can't Believe We Have To Wait Two(-ish?) more months for signs of liiiiiiiife.

Edited by pdh12