Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/27/2019 at 3:42 AM, Matthew3957 said:

Rejection from U Victoria came through....

but I also got email from UCSC saying they had some good news for a phone call... could it be really good news?

Wow, that must be some good news.

I didn't hear anything from this school yet. I got a little nervous :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With what @Warelin said, I think I’ll stop by next year for a bit! Not sure how much advice I can offer in 2020, but hopefully I’ll be a wise ol’ first year grad student and can answer at least some questions. I think I’ll utilitize other areas of this forum during the school year since I can’t text my mentor for every “should I email them this or this?” question, lol. This has been such a great resource! I’ve always heard such bad things about GradCafe, and while the results boards can really make you spiral in your own anxiety, I’ve found the forums have been nothing but positive and helpful. I wonder if other disciplines are also like this? I was poking around and noticed that this section is pretty active compared to others. 

Edited by trytostay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Does anyone know where to find that list of things to consider/ask faculty and grad students on prospective visits? I've been searching for ages and haven't been able to find it! Thanks in advance!!! 

Go back a couple pages to page 98– @trytostay linked to a thorough list of questions from another board!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if I can get your thoughts on this. So, I'm Canadian and moved to Boston to pursue an MA. Since graduating, I've been working in Boston for two years. This is my first round of PhD applications. 

The biggest thought running through my head is, "what if this isn't right?" What if making some changes would have affected all of these results and I would've gotten in to other schools? I'm not ungrateful for my acceptances - in fact, I'm SO grateful for them! - but I did expect more (too naive?) and I had certain dream schools that I was so confident I'd get into... on top of that, I know I applied to schools across North America, but I didn't really ever think I'd be leaving the northeast, let alone likely leaving the country. I'm struggling pretty hard with all of this right now. 

The idea of leaving Boston is heartbreaking to me and with my UConn rejection late last week, it finally hit me that I'd be totally leaving this area. I don't think I had ever fully wrapped my mind around that. 

Some non-academia friends keep bringing up that I should just stay and not pursue a PhD... one of my other dreams is to open a bookstore, so they keep telling me to keep working here until I can fulfill that dream. But I'm on a TN work visa which is limiting and I'm currently working as a tutor and a part-time RA. I don't think I'd be able to keep that up for next few years AND a PhD/academia is my dream, as well.

I don't know what to do. I guess I just needed to let that all out. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. :) 

 

EDIT to add that I know I have 3 American schools still in the running but I likely won't go to them, even if I get accepted, because my mom's health isn't great and I'd like to stay within driving distance/quick flight distance to her in Montreal. 

Edited by effietheant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

Seconding these sentiments, especially since you guys have been here since the early days of this thread! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all your backup plans work out for you, and perhaps we might see each other here again next year — hopefully with better news re: phd apps. 

(I don't know when I'll sign out of this site proper, since I've gotten so invested in everyone else's applications, but I really ought to soon -- maybe after Harvard officially lets me go -- to get my thesis done 😂. I'll probably be back in the summer though, to seek out advice on reapplying, so if anyone has any tips on reformulating SoPs, or on any part of the application process for that matter, I'd be your more than willing audience!) 

Thank you friend ☺️ I'm really sad that the cycle didn't shake out the way that we hoped for either of us. What's your backup plans looking like?

Good luck with your thesis, and I may be in the same boat regarding being back in the summer! Don't give up--my advisor says over half of the faculty in our English department are people who were shutout on the first attempt and accepted on the second!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I know we haven't talked really on the forum, but I also applied to villanova's MA program and I was also interested in the Dublin summer program! Irish drama is my thing and the program director was so helpful and friendly! If things work out that way maybe we will be cohort mates :)

Hi! Ah, wasn't Dr. Radcliffe so nice!? I was shocked at the time and energy he put into both emails and the phone call. He seems really awesome, and the program ethos seems so supportive. 

Fingers crossed that we will be funded cohort mates, and get to meet in person! And maybe go to Dublin!? So cool that Irish drama is your thing--you've got a lot of good faculty and resources there then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bopie5 said:

Hi! Ah, wasn't Dr. Radcliffe so nice!? I was shocked at the time and energy he put into both emails and the phone call. He seems really awesome, and the program ethos seems so supportive. 

Fingers crossed that we will be funded cohort mates, and get to meet in person! And maybe go to Dublin!? So cool that Irish drama is your thing--you've got a lot of good faculty and resources there then.

Yes! I was so surprised at how quickly he responded and how friendly he was. I definitely asked about the Dublin program! That would be amazing. And yeah, I don't know how I missed the program earlier. Fingers crossed for the both of us :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Thank you friend ☺️ I'm really sad that the cycle didn't shake out the way that we hoped for either of us. What's your backup plans looking like?

Good luck with your thesis, and I may be in the same boat regarding being back in the summer! Don't give up--my advisor says over half of the faculty in our English department are people who were shutout on the first attempt and accepted on the second!

Apropos of nothing, I don't really post here that much, and I guess you should take a random comment from a stranger for what it's worth, but:  I'm absolutely positive you will end up as a professor somewhere if you're determined to make it work.  I'm older, so I'm in a different boat, but you have so much time to try to reach your dream.  There's no way to say that without sounding patronizing, but I'm just trying to articulate that while the disappointment must sting now, any setbacks you're having are temporary for someone as focused and bright as you seem to be.  (And by the by, I'm not sure what the protocol around this is, but I think it would be really instructive for you to get some feedback from admissions committees on your package if possible, because there's a good chance they'd point you to something concrete and fixable.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bopie5 said:

Thank you friend ☺️ I'm really sad that the cycle didn't shake out the way that we hoped for either of us. What's your backup plans looking like?

Good luck with your thesis, and I may be in the same boat regarding being back in the summer! Don't give up--my advisor says over half of the faculty in our English department are people who were shutout on the first attempt and accepted on the second!

I am gutted for the both of us too... Though at this point, having done more work on my thesis and gotten a stronger hold on my areas of interest, I'm also quite excited to reapply, knowing that I'll likely be a stronger applicant the second time round! (To be honest, my heart aches most for the exorbitant application fees that have gone down the drain, because that really!! wasn't!! cheap!!! The time and effort that I've spent on my applications hardly feel wasted since I've learned so much about myself, my interests, and academia through this process.) 

As for my backup plans, I'm not too sure about them yet. I'll be taking a month-long break right after I graduate, just to give myself some breathing room and space to refocus. Beyond that, I might take up either an editorial or a publishing internship (I'm currently looking at one with Taylor and Francis), because if academia doesn't work out for me, I'd probably like to work in those fields anyway. 

Thank you for your well-wishes, and all the best to you with your future plans! (Also, can I just reiterate how much I enjoyed reading your writing sample? I've bought a copy of My Name is Asher Lev as a result, and it's now on my TBR pile, which I'll definitely get to after the semester ends.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there's those two Harvard acceptances on the board, but anyone else heard anything, in any capacity? I thought we'd see some more acceptances after those a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Renzo said:

Apropos of nothing, I don't really post here that much, and I guess you should take a random comment from a stranger for what it's worth, but:  I'm absolutely positive you will end up as a professor somewhere if you're determined to make it work.  I'm older, so I'm in a different boat, but you have so much time to try to reach your dream.  There's no way to say that without sounding patronizing, but I'm just trying to articulate that while the disappointment must sting now, any setbacks you're having are temporary for someone as focused and bright as you seem to be.  (And by the by, I'm not sure what the protocol around this is, but I think it would be really instructive for you to get some feedback from admissions committees on your package if possible, because there's a good chance they'd point you to something concrete and fixable.)

Wow, thank you so much for this--might copy paste and save this so I can read it whenever I'm feeling discouraged! You don't sound patronizing at all, this is actually really encouraging. It's good to hear from someone older that there is so much time. I think on the days I got my rejections it felt like the end of my dream. But now that the sting has faded a bit, I know this is just a roadblock and not a end-all be-all. Thank you ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

I am gutted for the both of us too... Though at this point, having done more work on my thesis and gotten a stronger hold on my areas of interest, I'm also quite excited to reapply, knowing that I'll likely be a stronger applicant the second time round! (To be honest, my heart aches most for the exorbitant application fees that have gone down the drain, because that really!! wasn't!! cheap!!! The time and effort that I've spent on my applications hardly feel wasted since I've learned so much about myself, my interests, and academia through this process.) 

As for my backup plans, I'm not too sure about them yet. I'll be taking a month-long break right after I graduate, just to give myself some breathing room and space to refocus. Beyond that, I might take up either an editorial or a publishing internship (I'm currently looking at one with Taylor and Francis), because if academia doesn't work out for me, I'd probably like to work in those fields anyway. 

Thank you for your well-wishes, and all the best to you with your future plans! (Also, can I just reiterate how much I enjoyed reading your writing sample? I've bought a copy of My Name is Asher Lev as a result, and it's now on my TBR pile, which I'll definitely get to after the semester ends.) 

That's exactly how I'm feeling! Even when pulling together my Villanova app, I realized how much I'd grown and become more focused in the last few months. But I feel the same way about the money too. I look at my bank account and realize that I could have about $900 more in there...eeeek.

I'm taking a month long break regardless too. Fingers crossed for a good internship for you! 

And re: the writing sample--this warmed my heart extremely this morning! I hope you enjoy Asher Lev. Affirmation on the WS means more than you know right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Omg it's good to see you active again @Bopie5

From time to time I was thinking (while doing the infamous 24/7 e-mail refresh) 'wait... how did they get shutout, their posts basically already read like a graduate student confident and placed in their field already. wtf, how did this happen.' Seriously, your posts and your WS show so much potential and you've done so much juggling applications with everything else. I was thinking at least one of the schools you applied to would say yes, but tbh it really does reinforce just how arbitrary and just how difficult this process can be sometimes.

(also I feel you on the bank account. I'm about $1,250-$1,300 in the red. ETS, subject tests, score reports, and their prices. lol.)

Good luck on Villanova :) Fingers crossed you end up in an awesome PhD program in the future, whether that be with a Master's from Villanova (and if Villanova is a yes, the funding better be there) or next year, whenever it may be.

Edited by Ranmaag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew3957 said:

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

i feel like waiting a week since you received the initial email is safe to follow up, but that might just be me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

I think it's safe to assume business week--there are some schools that were notifying on the weekend, but I think if you are trying to arrange a call then unless specifically stated it would be M-F. I would just follow-up and mention time zones, int'l phone number, etc. and that you wanted to check in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

That's exactly how I'm feeling! Even when pulling together my Villanova app, I realized how much I'd grown and become more focused in the last few months. But I feel the same way about the money too. I look at my bank account and realize that I could have about $900 more in there...eeeek.

 I'm taking a month long break regardless too. Fingers crossed for a good internship for you! 

And re: the writing sample--this warmed my heart extremely this morning! I hope you enjoy Asher Lev. Affirmation on the WS means more than you know right now!

Yes! I must say, the process of applying to grad schools was invaluable in compelling me to hone my research focus for my honours thesis much earlier than I was expected to (I mean, having to describe my project in my SoPs did acquaint me pretty well with its central ideas), so at the moment, I am much less frazzled about it than my peers. Still, it's an experience for which I've had to fork out just about as much as you did... (Imagine how many books one can buy with that $900!! 😂😩) (I'm really not looking forward to lining ETS's pockets again.) 

And yes, do take some time off! We certainly deserve it after all the stress that we've put ourselves through, not to mention that breaks will only be harder and harder to come by as one progresses through grad school and beyond. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well wrt Villanova, esp since the program seems so perfectly suited to your areas of interest! I really can't wait to see what you'll accomplish in the future! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WildeingOut said:

Anyone know anything about UMD? Have been assuming IR, but just wondering.

I’m waitlisted at umd, got an email end of Jan. I don’t think they’ve sent out acceptances though (according to the board)! Someone correct me if I’m wrong though! I wouldn’t count it a IR at this pt though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i finally decided to have a signature and listing out all the programs i still have to hear from was sorta jaw-dropping........................ i feel like this year hasn't been great for timely rejections, even from places that typically are good about it (harvard, uc davis).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WildeingOut said:

Anyone know anything about UMD? Have been assuming IR, but just wondering.

Also waiting on a response. I think next week I will email all of my pending schools because at this stage I think it is reasonable to seek a response. That said, if anyone feels like giving calls and helping out be my guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, theotherbrontesister said:

I know there's those two Harvard acceptances on the board, but anyone else heard anything, in any capacity? I thought we'd see some more acceptances after those a few days ago.

 Got a waitlist email yesterday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Also waiting on a response. I think next week I will email all of my pending schools because at this stage I think it is reasonable to seek a response. That said, if anyone feels like giving calls and helping out be my guest.

I was waitlisted at UMD at the beginning of February--like the 1st or the 2nd. I ended up asking to be removed, but UMD has a history of sending out all waitlists and acceptances in the beginning of February and then holding off on rejections until later on in March. Sorry :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, isoldeabandoned said:

I was waitlisted at UMD at the beginning of February--like the 1st or the 2nd. I ended up asking to be removed, but UMD has a history of sending out all waitlists and acceptances in the beginning of February and then holding off on rejections until later on in March. Sorry :( 

Oh well, I thought I saw some UMD rejections which was why I thought it might be some invisible waitlist situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.