Jump to content

Recommended Posts

i did call uc davis a week ago and they said acceptances were still rolling, which i took to mean that they're waiting on decisions from those they've already given offers and will make subsequent offers as needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone heard from or checked in with Bucknell regarding the MA program?  Last year they released acceptances on March 1.  I'm curious when they will send letters this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted NYU and was told decisions will be sent within two weeks. I take this to mean I’m rejected based on the board, the timeline, and last year’s process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Anaanu said:

Anyone heard from or checked in with Bucknell regarding the MA program?  Last year they released acceptances on March 1.  I'm curious when they will send letters this year.

I'd like to know this as well. Based on their old-timey application process, I think we must be prepared to receive notice via carrier pigeon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!🤩

 

 

Edited by A_N_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

I'd like to know this as well. Based on their old-timey application process, I think we must be prepared to receive notice via carrier pigeon. 

Haha.  That's funny.  Yeah, I find the school's approach charming, though I've been mistakenly watching for smoke signals.

I applied to two schools, and only Bucknell for a field in the humanities.  My writing sample does not fit squarely into 'literary studies.'  Hence, I have no idea how the professors will react to it.  I'm unsure what to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, A_N_M said:

Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!🤩

Hey! I just was notified I was #1 on the waitlist for funding. If I get off I am most likely going there, assuming none of my other waitlisted programs end up accepting me. I can always keep you updated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Hey! I just was notified I was #1 on the waitlist for funding. If I get off I am most likely going there, assuming none of my other waitlisted programs end up accepting me. I can always keep you updated!

That would be awesome! Thanks for the info (and congrats!). Here is a link to the poll that somehow got cut out, so you can see what other responses come in: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A_N_M said:

That would be awesome! Thanks for the info (and congrats!). Here is a link to the poll that somehow got cut out, so you can see what other responses come in: 

 

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally unrelated but the hotel SMU put interviewees up at is also being used for some kind of last round regional audition for Project Runway (overhead in hotel tavern yesterday). now as I’m waiting in the lobby for my shuttle to the airport I’m surrounded by over the top dressed creative types and the most obvious production assistant I’ve ever seen running around between them. I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign or a really, really bad one 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign

It is the BEST sign!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Totally unrelated but the hotel SMU put interviewees up at is also being used for some kind of last round regional audition for Project Runway (overhead in hotel tavern yesterday). now as I’m waiting in the lobby for my shuttle to the airport I’m surrounded by over the top dressed creative types and the most obvious production assistant I’ve ever seen running around between them. I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign or a really, really bad one 🤣

Wishing you luck!! Hope you hear great news on Friday :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. Tomorrow I'm talking with a PoI who says he has good news on my app. Is there anything I should be prepared for on the call or I should definitely bring up? I've seen the campus visit Q&A but not sure of the etiquette here. I have a good idea of how I'll handle it all already, but some advice would be awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matthew3957 assuming it's an acceptance because it'd be crazy mean to call you like this for anything less, i guess i'd suggest preparing by trying to find any gaps in info provided online. is their PhD handbook readily available? placement info? funding info (if they say "TAships" what does that actually entail)? perhaps also ask to be put in touch with a current student? i feel like you don't have to pressure yourself too much with having to make it a conversation or ask a ton of questions--you can always follow-up by email and it's better to have those answers in writing anyway lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, Ranmaag said:

Omg it's good to see you active again @Bopie5

From time to time I was thinking (while doing the infamous 24/7 e-mail refresh) 'wait... how did they get shutout, their posts basically already read like a graduate student confident and placed in their field already. wtf, how did this happen.' Seriously, your posts and your WS show so much potential and you've done so much juggling applications with everything else. I was thinking at least one of the schools you applied to would say yes, but tbh it really does reinforce just how arbitrary and just how difficult this process can be sometimes.

(also I feel you on the bank account. I'm about $1,250-$1,300 in the red. ETS, subject tests, score reports, and their prices. lol.)

Good luck on Villanova :) Fingers crossed you end up in an awesome PhD program in the future, whether that be with a Master's from Villanova (and if Villanova is a yes, the funding better be there) or next year, whenever it may be.

Ah, truly, you don't know what this means to me. I've saved this and reread it a few times whenever I feel discouraged about the wait to hear from Villanova. Thank you for the affirmation and for the well wishes! I have my fingers crossed! 

Also, the ETS thing--so real. I didn't try for fee waivers this year, and that's a big regret. The bank account hit is almost insult to injury after a shutout...

Excited to see what happens for you at Irvine! Can't wait to hear about how your research develops, as I also love your interest areas!

On 3/2/2019 at 1:13 AM, flungoutofspace said:

Yes! I must say, the process of applying to grad schools was invaluable in compelling me to hone my research focus for my honours thesis much earlier than I was expected to (I mean, having to describe my project in my SoPs did acquaint me pretty well with its central ideas), so at the moment, I am much less frazzled about it than my peers. Still, it's an experience for which I've had to fork out just about as much as you did... (Imagine how many books one can buy with that $900!! 😂😩) (I'm really not looking forward to lining ETS's pockets again.) 

And yes, do take some time off! We certainly deserve it after all the stress that we've put ourselves through, not to mention that breaks will only be harder and harder to come by as one progresses through grad school and beyond. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well wrt Villanova, esp since the program seems so perfectly suited to your areas of interest! I really can't wait to see what you'll accomplish in the future! 

I didn't even THINK of how many books $900 is. Now I'm picturing the 40-90 books that could have been 😭

We really do deserve what breaks we can take. I hope you can give yourself some rest as you prepare for the next cycle and pursue new and interim things. Truly wishing you the best as well--hope I get to keep reading your work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Anybody still waiting on Uconn? I have yet to hear anything from them and I'm thinking of emailing today.

I'm on the waitlist. I emailed my POI last week, and she said I was definitely on the waitlist, and that they would let me know if anything changed. She also said they got "a lot of strong applicants this year." Did you end up emailing them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

On the waitlist for Uconn's MA program! Waitlist gods.. if you can hear me.. help a girl out please.

Oh yay! Congratulations. Maybe we'll start there together (please please please)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, StamfordCat said:

Oh yay! Congratulations. Maybe we'll start there together (please please please)

I'll hope for us both! I'd be so elated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, breemartini said:

Is anyone else still waiting on UC Davis, NYU, or Brown PhD? Still haven't heard a thing from any of these programs 🤒

I haven't heard from NYU English and I assume it's a rejection because I see that accepted people were called mid-February. I just wish they would respond already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friends!!! I just had a paper on dynamics of embodied race in Kate Chopin's "Desiree's Baby" accepted for publication in an undergraduate research journal! I am OVER THE MOON! My first academic publication!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Friends!!! I just had a paper on dynamics of embodied race in Kate Chopin's "Desiree's Baby" accepted for publication in an undergraduate research journal! I am OVER THE MOON! My first academic publication!

That is freaking AWESOME!!! Congrats Bopes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nyccat said:

I haven't heard from NYU English and I assume it's a rejection because I see that accepted people were called mid-February. I just wish they would respond already.

Same here with both NYU and UC Davis. I had already assumed rejections, but with NYU there are all three types of notices on the board (though only one rejection) so I'm not entirely sure what to think. Someone on the board said there might be an unofficial waitlist but I'm not getting my hopes up for that, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Got some meh news from WUSTL--that they're not "encouraging" waitlisters to visit this year since they took a smaller cohort and are unsure how much they'll need to dip into the waitlist pool if at all. This does not seem to bode well for me. I'm trying to gauge if this is a general thing with the waitlist or that maybe they know I personally won't be likely to get off the waitlist. Has anyone had any contact with them? Has anyone got in and know they'll be declining the offer? PM would be great if you don't want to go into it here! 

Edited by beardedlady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.