2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, rr732 said:

Has anyone heard from SUNY Albany yet? 

I emailed the DGS this week. He sent a very nice email back informing me I am on the wait list. He said they can only offer six funded spots. 

Also, I am new to the Forum and noticed someone asked about the UNH acceptance on the results board. I was the one accepted to UNH. Hopefully whoever asked that sees this post.

6 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

are there other sites besides upenn cfp for conference/journal submission info? love cfp but the organization of the site sometimes bugs me.

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

^^^ seconded

https://www.cfplist.com/ (Which was created by a member of this site)

53 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

are there other sites besides upenn cfp for conference/journal submission info? love cfp but the organization of the site sometimes bugs me.

I can’t temember the site name but I put it in my thread about conferences. Sorry, I’m on my phone so I’m not sure how to link it.

13 hours ago, kd1990 said:

I emailed the DGS this week. He sent a very nice email back informing me I am on the wait list. He said they can only offer six funded spots. 

Also, I am new to the Forum and noticed someone asked about the UNH acceptance on the results board. I was the one accepted to UNH. Hopefully whoever asked that sees this post.

Thanks for the info on suny! I’ve been wanting to reach out but not sure if it was too soon. 

PS congrats on your acceptance! 

16 hours ago, kd1990 said:

Hey there— that was me! Do you think you’ll be accepting the offer? 

7 minutes ago, anon587 said:

Hey there— that was me! Do you think you’ll be accepting the offer? 

As of now, I am leaning towards accepting the offer. I am still waiting on multiple responses, so it is difficult to say for sure at the moment. I wish I could provide you a more definitive answer. Last year I was wait listed at UNH, so I understand the position you are currently in. 

43 minutes ago, victoriansimpkins said:

kind of stupid/anxiety induced question: when you email the DGS to inquire about your application status, what do you say in the email besides...that? 

I don’t think you need much more than that! when I did, I wrote something like “I’m an applicant for X program and I’m writing to see if there might be an update to my application status. my name is X and my application number is X. thank you!” 

Spending one of the first few days of my spring break endlessly grading papers for a GE Business course that I TA for. Good practice for hopefully being a grad assistant someday, but also...can't believe the degree to which college students don't know how to use commas...

8 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Spending one of the first few days of my spring break endlessly grading papers for a GE Business course that I TA for. Good practice for hopefully being a grad assistant someday, but also...can't believe the degree to which college students don't know how to use commas...

Hahaha, my roomie my jr year was an accounting student from Germany and she struggled a lot with English comma usage, it’s so different from German. It was an undless battle for her ?

though i know nothing of german grammar in reality, the thought of german comma usage tickles me because german is inherently sort of funny to me. (i mean that in the least-worse sounding way, of course.) russian has some peculiar rules for comma placement that throw me off switching back and forth every day. 

i edited a friend's friend's paper a bit back for a business course and had to write a gentle overview at the end about subject/verb agreement. and other things. she was bright, but i think just struggled on paper? i have trouble all the time with punctuation inside quotation marks, now that i think about it.

@jadeisokay I have the SAME thing with punctuation inside quotation marks! 

@kendalldinniene and Jade, totally feel you on how there can be more dynamics at play especially in terms of how grammar operates...can be so classist and elitist! But also, comma usage is my personal pet peeve and by the time I'm on the 35th paper, I wanna tear my hair out when students have a sentence fragment that somehow has five commas in it.

23 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

@jadeisokay I have the SAME thing with punctuation inside quotation marks! 

@kendalldinniene and Jade, totally feel you on how there can be more dynamics at play especially in terms of how grammar operates...can be so classist and elitist! But also, comma usage is my personal pet peeve and by the time I'm on the 35th paper, I wanna tear my hair out when students have a sentence fragment that somehow has five commas in it.

are you sure they're a real undergrad and not just christopher walken in makeup? ;)

purdue's mla guide online has been my lifeline to figuring out where the punctuation and parentheses go together when i cite things. i'm so useless without it, haha. one of these days, i need to just send them a "thank you" card.

on classism, i was actually thinking at work last night about "y'all" and "all 'y'all"-- a guest used them in the same sentence! hence the thought- - and a lot of derisive/defensive sentiments around the word that i've heard growing up. there are plenty of environments down here where you aren't going to use or hear it, but both fill in so perfectly what i think is a glaring gap in the english language. ( i will mock pittsburgh and their "yinz" all i want, though.)

Edited by jadeisokay

13 minutes ago, cyborg213 said:

Does anybody know what's the average / usual / expected conference funding offered by phd programs? 

Conference funding varies a lot by institution. Some programs offer as low as $0. Some programs offer funding only through applying for it. Some offer a set amount per year. Some offer an amount of up to X, which can be used up until graduation.  I've seen guaranteed numbers vary from as low as $250 to as high as $2,500. It's also possible that schools have additional venues to obtain more conference funding which could make the total conference funding amount higher than those with a set rate.

11 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

are you sure they're a real undergrad and not just christopher walken in makeup? ;)

purdue's mla guide online has been my lifeline to figuring out where the punctuation and parentheses go together when i cite things. i'm so useless without it, haha. one of these days, i need to just send them a "thank you" card.

on classism, i was actually thinking at work last night about "y'all" and "all 'y'all"-- a guest used them in the same sentence! hence the thought- - and a lot of derisive/defensive sentiments around the word that i've heard growing up. there are plenty of environments down here where you aren't going to use or hear it, but both fill in so perfectly what i think is a glaring gap in the english language. ( i will mock pittsburgh and their "yinz" all i want, though.)

AHAHAH. That made me die!

I definitely have so many pages of the Purdue OWL bookmarked--it's everything! Especially as my research is moving more into some cultures work. PTL for a guide that tells you how to cite a tweet or a youtube video!

*snaps* to the "y'all" discussion. I will defend y'all forever. The lack of a plural "you" or a formal "you" in the English language is a no from me. But I have NEVER heard "yinz"--wtf is "yinz"!?

"yinz" is the pittsburgh/appalachian "y'all" but much funnier. i want to say it comes from scots-irish. 

my current assignment for film class has me citing youtube and it's been launching me into a half-serious contemplation of uh, everything. who would have thought ten or twelve years ago we'd be citing the cool video clip website for academic purposes? sure, there's runaway irreversible climate change and i lose my insurance this month, but i can cite youtube! (wow, i got depressing fast. i swear i'm fun in real life!) but i think my excitement slash fascination is just a curiosity about internet culture and memory.

Edited by jadeisokay

3 hours ago, victoriansimpkins said:

kind of stupid/anxiety induced question: when you email the DGS to inquire about your application status, what do you say in the email besides...that? 

I agree with the other post. I will add that I usually end it with something along the lines of "I fully understand if there are no updates at the moment" to acknowledge that I know how difficult and time consuming this process can be for the admissions committee. Every time I have contacted a DGS they have been nothing but gracious in their response.

Just did my campus visit for UCI a few days ago. I loved, loved, loved it and it was an incredible experience for 2 days (if anyone there visited and haunts grad cafe, this is the American poetry guy speaking). It was non-stop so there was exhaustion by day 2 lol, but it was the good kind of exhaustion. Basically re-affirmed my final decision. It just felt... right.

Good luck to everyone still waiting :) Rooting for all of you as March rolls on.