12 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

I also received the same offer for Chicago’s MAPH but with a $30k scholarship—and I thought *that* was ridiculous when I scrolled to see the tuition is $60k (just the tuition!!). When half of your offer letter is how to pay for your program, you have to realize that what you’re doing is completely out of touch with reality.

Who fills these program slots, and how are they perceived when/if they apply to PhD programs?

I got this offer too. I first read 30k and was like "oh wow that sounds good!" and then I kept reading and I was like "oh wow....that's....not even half what I will need....." No thanks, man. I can get deep dish pizza anywhere anyway. 

On 3/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, tcatherine said:

Stony Book...Please....

Still waiting? I am! The weekend ahead feels interminable.

Got my “no thanks” from the MAPH program...how can it hurt to get rejected from a program you never intended to attend and didn’t even apply to?

Posted (edited)

I got a 30k scholarship to the MAPH program. It felt good filling out the rejection survey. Just a reminder to never allow someone to make you doubt your own worth! 

Sorry if that sounded preachy I am just ~~** emotional **~~

Edited by trytostay

I also got into the MAPH with a 10.5K scholarship.  How many people/what percentage get into this program?  Seeing so many acceptances.  I feel like MAPH would be a good stepping stone to a top-notch PHD, but 50K tuition is ridiculous.  What does everyone everyone know about MAPH and placements?  I'm half way considering taking out more loans because UChicago is such a great college.  But also feeling like I'm being swindled.

3 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

I also got into the MAPH with a 10.5K scholarship.  How many people/what percentage get into this program?  Seeing so many acceptances.  I feel like MAPH would be a good stepping stone to a top-notch PHD, but 50K tuition is ridiculous.  What does everyone everyone know about MAPH and placements?  I'm half way considering taking out more loans because UChicago is such a great college.  But also feeling like I'm being swindled.

Donnnnnn't dooo itttt

6 hours ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

just got the acceptance to UChicago's MAPH with $10.5k scholarship. feels like someone threw a handful of nickels at me

congrats on your other acceptances, though!

8 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Same here, same scholarship. I’m like...you think I can go $50K in debt (tuition alone) for my MA? Nah. 

Whoa!! I knew it was expensive, but tuition alone is HOW MUCH???? That’s not including living costs, and it’s only a year???

2 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Whoa!! I knew it was expensive, but tuition alone is HOW MUCH???? That’s not including living costs, and it’s only a year???

My acceptance letter said tuition for the one year is about $60,000. And yeah—not including living costs, for the one year program! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

How does anyone afford 60,000 for tuition + 30,000 for living expenses when most of the scholarships are 10,000 to 30,000?  It's jaw-dropping.

independent wealth and/or loans. The "scholarships" they offer seem pretty clearly designed to entice people who are down on their luck to spend tens of thousands of dollars and fund the graduate students the school actually cares about. "Well at least I'm not paying the full $60k!" It sort of makes me sick to imagine that there are people who aren't on this board who think they've been given a lifeline.

Honestly, the apparently predatory nature of this program seems at odds with Chicago's reputation for excellence. I imagine 10 years or so from now, when our generation is fully entrenched in academia, this is not going to be a good look.

Edited by dilby

2 hours ago, dilby said:

independent wealth and/or loans. The "scholarships" they offer seem pretty clearly designed to entice people who are down on their luck to spend tens of thousands of dollars and fund the graduate students the school actually cares about. "Well at least I'm not paying the full $60k!" It sort of makes me sick to imagine that there are people who aren't on this board who think they've been given a lifeline.

Honestly, the apparently predatory nature of this program seems at odds with Chicago's reputation for excellence. I imagine 10 years or so from now, when our generation is fully entrenched in academia, this is not going to be a good look.

This right here.

are there other sites besides upenn cfp for conference/journal submission info? love cfp but the organization of the site sometimes bugs me.

1 hour ago, rr732 said:

Has anyone heard from SUNY Albany yet? 

I emailed the DGS this week. He sent a very nice email back informing me I am on the wait list. He said they can only offer six funded spots. 

Also, I am new to the Forum and noticed someone asked about the UNH acceptance on the results board. I was the one accepted to UNH. Hopefully whoever asked that sees this post.

3 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

are there other sites besides upenn cfp for conference/journal submission info? love cfp but the organization of the site sometimes bugs me.

^^^ seconded

6 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

^^^ seconded

https://www.cfplist.com/ (Which was created by a member of this site)

53 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

I can’t temember the site name but I put it in my thread about conferences. Sorry, I’m on my phone so I’m not sure how to link it.

13 hours ago, kd1990 said:

I emailed the DGS this week. He sent a very nice email back informing me I am on the wait list. He said they can only offer six funded spots. 

Also, I am new to the Forum and noticed someone asked about the UNH acceptance on the results board. I was the one accepted to UNH. Hopefully whoever asked that sees this post.

Thanks for the info on suny! I’ve been wanting to reach out but not sure if it was too soon. 

PS congrats on your acceptance! 

16 hours ago, kd1990 said:

Hey there— that was me! Do you think you’ll be accepting the offer? 

7 minutes ago, anon587 said:

Hey there— that was me! Do you think you’ll be accepting the offer? 

As of now, I am leaning towards accepting the offer. I am still waiting on multiple responses, so it is difficult to say for sure at the moment. I wish I could provide you a more definitive answer. Last year I was wait listed at UNH, so I understand the position you are currently in.