2019 Applicants

Just now, Bopie5 said:

Thanks for the encouragement ☺️ I have my fingers crossed for acceptance and funding at Villanova! And if not, for better things in the 2020 cycle.

Damn right. ?  You've got this. 

Yea I am wondering the same thing about Davis. However, my guess is like Santa Cruz they have an invisible waitlist. I kinda wish they could cut them off though and send out the absolute rejections. Same with UIUC! Same with UBC, apparently they've sent out acceptances, but no one on gradcafe noted one and now they're holding out the rejections.

Either way I cannot accept the UCSC offer in my portal yet so I guess I have to wait either way. 

I’m finding schools to be less informative this cycle. I’m a bit miffed at Emory since I emailed the department a while ago and they never emailed back, even though they were among the first to have their visit and decisions. I only got the Grad School email yesterday and I don’t appreciate going through the whole process only for someone to say “I don’t have to respond to this person, someone will get to it sooner or later”.

5 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I’m finding schools to be less informative this cycle. I’m a bit miffed at Emory since I emailed the department a while ago and they never emailed back, even though they were among the first to have their visit and decisions. I only got the Grad School email yesterday and I don’t appreciate going through the whole process only for someone to say “I don’t have to respond to this person, someone will get to it sooner or later”.

And apparently Emory's not done stringing us along, as I have yet to hear a peep from them since applying. Same with NYU... It'd be nice to just have some closure.

BTW I'm also waitlisted at GWU; have you heard anything from them besides the form letter on the website? Wondering how the waitlist works etc.

I sound like a broken record, but does anyone have any information on Baylor? I have emailed twice, both last week and this week, with no response. I called yesterday and the lady I spoke with had no information at all (at least that she was willing to reveal). After the strange post-deadline request for writing samples back in January, I’d have thought they would be more informative. In any event, they’re the last school I’m waiting from, and my patience is wearing thin (as is everyone’s). 

Today I received notice of acceptance to the MA program at NYU (as well as rejection from PhD). The offer comes with 60% of tuition covered, no help with fees/registration, and no stipend/benefits. Will most likely turn down, but happy to finally hear some news from this school!!

Hey, is it normal to still be waiting on SIX schools? I'm potentially looking at a huge move and I applied to some of these on like December 1st so... I'm kind of losing my mind here. Also, does anyone else start to feel a bit resentful toward the schools that take long? ?

56 minutes ago, effietheant said:

Hey, is it normal to still be waiting on SIX schools? I'm potentially looking at a huge move and I applied to some of these on like December 1st so... I'm kind of losing my mind here. Also, does anyone else start to feel a bit resentful toward the schools that take long? ?

I felt that way about Irvine and just emailed them— I ended up being on a waitlist. Some schools have “hidden” waitlists so it might be worth reaching out to see if decisions have been released yet at this point. 

Edited by swarthmawr

what are people's thoughts on emailing a program to ask if they might consider offering some funds towards relocation expenses? i know the answer will probably be no but i think i'd kick myself if i didn't give it a try as i'd be moving country - does anyone have any tips on how you might word this email, who you'd send it to (the DGS?), ways in which it can be asked whilst sounding polite rather than presumptuous? 

50 minutes ago, dangermouse said:

what are people's thoughts on emailing a program to ask if they might consider offering some funds towards relocation expenses? i know the answer will probably be no but i think i'd kick myself if i didn't give it a try as i'd be moving country - does anyone have any tips on how you might word this email, who you'd send it to (the DGS?), ways in which it can be asked whilst sounding polite rather than presumptuous? 

At my institution, these funds are sometimes located for admitted students who are under-represented minorities, whom we are especially eager to recruit and retain. It's not a super-common practice, but it has happened. I'd write to whoever has been communicating with you about your admission and your matriculation, whether that's the DGS or an administrator. That person will know whom to contact if this is an option. 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, Bopie5 said:

Has anyone else read Christina Sharpe's In the Wake: On Blackness and Being? It was on the reading list for my seminar, and I was just floored by Sharpe's writing and theoretical prowess and creativity and also everything. 

Also, on a plane ride today, I reread Orientalism for the first time in a while. Guess theory is my new coping mechanism? Can't tell if that's like good or crazy haha!

Read it a couple months ago for my class on Black spaces! Her iteration of the wake is very similar to the research I want to do :) Have you read any Spillers or Quashie's The Sovereignty of Quiet

17 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

I felt that way about Irvine and just emailed them— I ended up being on a waitlist. Some schools have “hidden” waitlists so it might be worth reaching out to see if decisions have been released yet at this point. 

I guess I should do this with the ones I am waiting on... Having a response would be great.

I am with you @effietheant I do start to have some annoyance that they cannot just let me know I am waitlisted or rejected outright. 

@swarthmawr I did what you suggested and reached out to all six remaining schools. I've already heard back from four of them - one "hidden" wait list, one rejection, and two let me know they're still deliberating. At this point, I'm just happy to be receiving any news at all! 

@Matthew3957 Right? I understand how difficult it must be to make admissions decisions, especially when schools receive hundreds of applicants, but there must be a way to go about it a little quicker. It makes everything a mess, imo and it kind of works against them in some ways? Two of the schools I've been accepted to have been "courting" me for the past month, so if a new school comes into the game now, they're almost at a disadvantage... I don't know if that makes sense lol in essence, I don't like the way this process goes down at. all. haha

17 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Read it a couple months ago for my class on Black spaces! Her iteration of the wake is very similar to the research I want to do :) Have you read any Spillers or Quashie's The Sovereignty of Quiet

Same—the way she talks about the wake honestly makes me rethink what kind of research I can and want to do??? I haven’t—I’ll have to add to my list! 

I emailed UC Berkeley last night (I'm currently a student there) and received this response this morning: "Thank you for your application.  We have made our initial offers of admission.  Final notifications will be sent out in April." I would have preferred a straight up rejection, but I guess this is close enough...

@Bopie5 "We are waiting for the program director to approve all admission decisions in our application system which will then transmit an official letter from Graduate Studies.  I just found out she will start doing so today.  " - from Davis

The person also let me know didn't get in but honestly so much better to have a clean rejection at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

I know there is absolutely no way that Villanova will notify me at 10pm EST on a Wednesday, but alas...my heart still leaps every time I get an email.

Villanova let me know like ~2 weeks after applying (late in the cycle) that I was accepted! I'm sure you'll hear soon!