2019 Applicants

Well, the third phone call to Baylor (after two ignored emails and two unhelpful phone calls), Baylor finally decided to let me know that I had been rejected back in February, but they failed to send any sort of formal rejection until yesterday afternoon. 

That wraps my cycle up at long last. Thanks to you guys for all your support! I’ve enjoyed it. For better or worse, University of Southern Mississippi here I come!

15 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

The person also let me know didn't get in but honestly so much better to have a clean rejection at this stage. 

Do you mean they let you know you were rejected? I'm sorry :( 

Does her message maybe mean that they're sending out official admissions to follow up on the unofficial phone calls that went out in early Feb? BLERG 

17 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

@Bopie5 "We are waiting for the program director to approve all admission decisions in our application system which will then transmit an official letter from Graduate Studies.  I just found out she will start doing so today.  " - from Davis

The person also let me know didn't get in but honestly so much better to have a clean rejection at this stage. 

Thank you for the intel! Hopefully this means I can finally get closure in the next few days. Or maybe I should just email right now and get it over with haha.

14 minutes ago, ChunkyMonkey said:

Stupid question: if a school asks for a "preferred itinerary" before booking a flight, what does that mean? I would assume it's the preferred dates/ times of travel, but I've already sent them that...:huh:?

I would think they are asking about preferred specific flights. 

In further craziness, I just had a paper on Frankenstein accepted for presentation at a conference on the Gothic! I’m shook! I didn’t think I would get accepted and I only applied for practice writing abstracts. It feels really good to be already be building my app for next cycle if I don’t get into Villanova. 

Just an update on my end as well -- after contacting the six schools I had left to hear from, I found out I was on hidden wait list for two of them, and rejected from one. I also found out that I have another week or two of waiting to hear back from the final three schools, which are Canadian. Incredibly frustrating because I have pending offers at other schools and I feel bad holding a place that someone else could be taking! 

NYU finally came through with the rejection so I have no more unknowns. Just gotta wait for GW and Virginia to say something. I think the UVA visits are today so perhaps some things will move this week but have not heard of a single GW acceptance so not sure what to expect there.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, mandelbulb said:

do we not have a decisions thread yet? 

I don't expect to make my decision until next weekend, but I went ahead and made the thread because I don't mind getting a notification every time someone posts. :) 

7 minutes ago, dilby said:

I don't expect to make my decision until next weekend, but I went ahead and made the thread because I don't mind getting a notification every time someone posts. :) 

ha, thanks for taking one for the team! ;) can’t wait to see the thread fill up with decisions! I’m not so much as close to close to one yet, but super invested in everyone else’s anyway 

Edited by amphilanthus
typo D:

Hello,

I've posted a few times here before, but I was wondering if anyone has had radio silence from University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign? I've seen acceptances roll through, and some rejections, but I have just heard nothing from them. I know someone said they weren't updating the online application, but I also sent an email to the address they provided (and have had zero response. I'm assuming a rejection, but I'm kind of frustrated to have not had that confirmed. Any advice?

Congrats to everyone's acceptances! This was my first application cycle and I was never more anxious in my life. Glad to see I was in good company!

3 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Finally got my official rejection from Davis. The vague "reasons you are not competitive with other applicants are:" sentence was a big ouch. I've assumed I was rejected for over a month now, do you need to rub salt in the wound?

part of me appreciates it. at least i know it wasn't XYZ that kept me from being competitive and if i hadn't been accepted elsewhere, i'd know what to spend the most time improving. on the other hand, clearly my application was competitive enough, so it just goes back to the whole subjectivity thing.

Just now, mandelbulb said:

part of me appreciates it. at least i know it wasn't XYZ that kept me from being competitive and if i hadn't been accepted elsewhere, i'd know what to spend the most time improving. on the other hand, clearly my application was competitive enough, so it just goes back to the whole subjectivity thing.

Yeah, I get you for sure. And I already had a hunch my SoP was what took me down! I guess since I was shut out it just stung. Trying not to let it become fuel for the self-doubt, self-deprecation, and anxiety machine haha!

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Yeah, I get you for sure. And I already had a hunch my SoP was what took me down! I guess since I was shut out it just stung. Trying not to let it become fuel for the self-doubt, self-deprecation, and anxiety machine haha!

it does give you something pretty solid to work on for next year (or the year after if you're accepted to Villanova). you don't have to worry about GPA or GRE or letters :) just focus on your SoP and workshop it in a way that makes the most sense to you. you could perhaps reach out to your POI for more specific feedback, too? and try to establish a connection now?

lmaooooo got the rejection from Davis too––

The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:
- Not competitive with other applicants because:
      - Statement of Purpose/Written work

image.png.68ebb0ff603383e608299f8e0ff1100e.png