2019 Applicants

7 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

it does give you something pretty solid to work on for next year (or the year after if you're accepted to Villanova). you don't have to worry about GPA or GRE or letters :) just focus on your SoP and workshop it in a way that makes the most sense to you. you could perhaps reach out to your POI for more specific feedback, too? and try to establish a connection now?

That's true! I just shot an email asking for more specific feedback (something I've been too nervous to do previously, but at this point I have nothing to lose!). Thanks for the encouragement ❤️

Just now, hgtvdeathdrive said:

@Bopie5 don't get down on yourself! i have a feeling that was the "reason" they chose for most of us, unless we see some variation from other folks who post here. 

For sure. It's all so random and up for grabs anyway. And while I may not have acceptances from this cycle, I do have publications and presentations to reassure me that I am potentially viable in the field and that I'm not just somehow a shit writer haha.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bopie5 said:

Same—the way she talks about the wake honestly makes me rethink what kind of research I can and want to do??? I haven’t—I’ll have to add to my list! 

yeah, she's super super talented. Quashie writes his theory in a very poetic way you might also like. Hartman is also really good, she's one of Sharpe's mentors. :) 

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

That's true! I just shot an email asking for more specific feedback (something I've been too nervous to do previously, but at this point I have nothing to lose!). Thanks for the encouragement ❤️

One way I have asked for feedback in the past was letting the school know I am still interested in their program and intend to apply the next application cycle (if it came to that). I then asked what could be built upon. Usually I received constructive advice that one (or multiple sections) were what kept my application from acceptance. And then I worked like hell on those. Also, and I guess this relates to everyone who may feel down about this cycle, keep persisting. This was my fourth application cycle. For a myriad of reasons (being shut out, not fully loving the fit, and personal issues preventing me from moving), I have done this four straight years (five of the last six, if you count my M.A. applications). Persistence pays off. This was the third time I applied to the school I will most likely attend in the fall. I almost did not apply because I figured a third rejection would have sucked. But I got in, and I could not be happier. So, long story short, keep your head up and keep going.

Speaking of Davis rejections, what could this mean? Like does this mean the classes I took or the degree I have (BA American Studies) isn't good enough? Dunno if this is an indication that I shouldn't bother to reapply anywhere next year, as it sounds to me like something that can't be improved upon...?

The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

- Not competitive with other applicants because:
      - Inadequate preparation for advanced study in the proposed program

4 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

This is a good idea! Could you let me know who you emailed specifically? Dunno if I email a specific person or if there's some generic email.

5 hours ago, kitties said:

Speaking of Davis rejections, what could this mean? Like does this mean the classes I took or the degree I have (BA American Studies) isn't good enough? Dunno if this is an indication that I shouldn't bother to reapply anywhere next year, as it sounds to me like something that can't be improved upon...?

The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

Seems like they think you have not done enough work in advanced literature study. Perhaps an MA in English would bridge the gap.

I didn’t know some schools did this, I would have really appreciated this response in the past, even if it seems like the answer are vague.

11 hours ago, kitties said:

This feedback is brutal because it doesn't mean much of anything.  Inadequate preparation for advanced study could mean GRE scores, letters, ws, or SoP problems because committees use all of those things to determine your level of preparation.  I can only imagine that their other note reads something like, "sorry, we just don't have enough spots." 

12 hours ago, kitties said:

This is a good idea! Could you let me know who you emailed specifically? Dunno if I email a specific person or if there's some generic email.

The denial letter said to email the admissions advisor of the English department, but I couldn't find anyone with that exact title, so I emailed the two graduate program coordinators (Aaron Barstow and Andi Carr), and explained in the email that I might be directing my question to the wrong place, but couldn't find the English admissions advisor on the website. 

13 hours ago, kitties said:

FWIW/IMO, the note suggests that you would benefit from figuring out the key differences between American studies and English and then chart an efficient path that allows you to bridge the gap. A way to figure out the differences is to look at a topic/subject has arced back and forth between American studies and English to see how the participants have talked to (or past) each other. A potential starting point is the politics and expertise interdisciplinary scholarship. 

Another tactic is to figure out what the professors you want(ed) to work with at Davis think about American studies. Have any of them sat on dissertation committees in American studies? Have American studies professors sat on dissertation committees that they've chaired?

Another avenue of approach may be to contact the American studies department at UC Davis and see if anyone can give you some insight.

HTH.

Just now, jillcicle said:

*Clicks on hand held recorder*

Day 472 - still no word from UVA. All is silent here. Not sure how much longer I can go on.

did you email? several folks in the mysterious-silence boat reached out the other week and found out we’re on a “semi-finalist waitlist” (whatever that means!). presumably the same for you and they can confirm! the DGA seems very friendly and is quick to reply. 

Just now, amphilanthus said:

did you email? several folks in the mysterious-silence boat reached out the other week and found out we’re on a “semi-finalist waitlist” (whatever that means!). presumably the same for you and they can confirm! the DGA seems very friendly and is quick to reply. 

If I'm being honest I haven't emailed because I'm terrified to know - right now I don't have to make any decisions which sounds so breezy and beautiful and straightforward and I don't want a potential decision axe hanging over my head ? (Ridiculous, I know - it's crazy how irrational grad admits are making me act lol)

Just now, jillcicle said:

If I'm being honest I haven't emailed because I'm terrified to know - right now I don't have to make any decisions which sounds so breezy and beautiful and straightforward and I don't want a potential decision axe hanging over my head ? (Ridiculous, I know - it's crazy how irrational grad admits are making me act lol)

haha, very fair! I definitely know how this process makes the most irrational things make perfect sense. pretend I said nothing, then! schrödinger’s waitlist. 

Okay, I heard back from the grad program coordinator at Davis! He was very friendly and helpful, and even gave me a few direct quotes from the Adcomm. Ultimately, there wasn’t much to work on—he said that my app was highly rated by all 3 profs,  the comments were almost entirely positive, and that they thought my WS was “very competently written” and “strong,” but not as interesting as some other applicants, and that they think I would probably benefit from getting my MA. The transparency and clarity of his email makes me feel better about the denial letter, and encourages me that the Adcomm had positive feelings about my app as a whole! Might look to get this kind of feedback from other schools. 

So I've been officially accepted by SIUC with funding (the letter has some weird wording that I am trying to decipher), and have emailed Nebraska to see where they're at after the first round offer deadline. I mentioned to Nebraska that I'd been accepted with funding elsewhere, but holding off notifying them in hopes UNL funding would come through. Did I just overstep or say something stupid? ??

14 minutes ago, victoriansimpkins said:

So I've been officially accepted by SIUC with funding (the letter has some weird wording that I am trying to decipher), and have emailed Nebraska to see where they're at after the first round offer deadline. I mentioned to Nebraska that I'd been accepted with funding elsewhere, but holding off notifying them in hopes UNL funding would come through. Did I just overstep or say something stupid? ??

Congratulations on the acceptance! I don't think you overstepped. And this is just my opinion, but it sounds like you were letting Nebraska know that you are still very much interested in their program, but that you also have an offer that, presumably, you need to give a yes or no to by April 15th. It won't speed up their process, but they know you are seriously considering their offer. I don't know if I answered that well. Were you wait listed by Nebraska?

29 minutes ago, kd1990 said:

Congratulations on the acceptance! I don't think you overstepped. And this is just my opinion, but it sounds like you were letting Nebraska know that you are still very much interested in their program, but that you also have an offer that, presumably, you need to give a yes or no to by April 15th. It won't speed up their process, but they know you are seriously considering their offer. I don't know if I answered that well. Were you wait listed by Nebraska?

I was admitted to Nebraska, but waitlisted for funding. They said there's at least one person before me left on the waitlist, and that they're just not sure yet which way it'll go. 

Made an account for this and it’s probably a long shot, but I might as well ask anyway. I’ve been applying to English MA and Creative Writing MFAs this round- I think I’m shut out of the MFAs (which I expected) and got acceptances from SUNY Albany, SUNY Binghamton and Brandeis for the MAs. The only other MA I was able to apply to (for Reasons) was Penn State, which is the the only one that’s funded. 

If anyone knows anything about what’s going on with Penn State, I’d be eternally grateful to know. I see they’re doing things way differently this year and while I think it’s a great fit for me, I’ve got no idea what this radio silence means when everything about their notifications seems strange this year. Thanks in advance!! 

Anyone else frustrated by some of these schools still not having finished going through applications, yet their visit weekends are happening? No idea if I'm accepted or rejected at two places still working through applications, and their visits are fast approaching.

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Okay, I heard back from the grad program coordinator at Davis! He was very friendly and helpful, and even gave me a few direct quotes from the Adcomm. Ultimately, there wasn’t much to work on—he said that my app was highly rated by all 3 profs,  the comments were almost entirely positive, and that they thought my WS was “very competently written” and “strong,” but not as interesting as some other applicants, and that they think I would probably benefit from getting my MA. The transparency and clarity of his email makes me feel better about the denial letter, and encourages me that the Adcomm had positive feelings about my app as a whole! Might look to get this kind of feedback from other schools. 

Who was the correct person to email? I emailed Alberta for feedback and it was nice to hear something direct about my application. I know I am going to UCSC at this point, but it's hard to pass up a chance to hear why I was rejected somewhere. Am I a masochist? 

Just now, Matthew3957 said:

Who was the correct person to email? I emailed Alberta for feedback and it was nice to hear something direct about my application. I know I am going to UCSC at this point, but it's hard to pass up a chance to hear why I was rejected somewhere. Am I a masochist? 

I emailed both Aaron Barstow and Andi Carr in one email and heard back from Aaron Barstow! They're both listed as Graduate Program Coordinators, so I'm not sure whether Aaron is the right person, or if he was just the person who got to my email.

i'm a masochist and emailed them for feedback. i explained that because i'm passionate about my project and i'm hoping to present parts of my writing sample at conferences, the feedback is invaluable :)

FYI for everyone--I emailed most of my schools asking for feedback. Davis has given feedback, the program coordinator at UCSB said she'd contact the Adcomms for me, and the coordinator at Michigan said that they aren't able to give feedback due to high volume of apps. Waiting to hear from Northwestern, decided not to reach out to Stanford, Chicago, or Columbia.