2019 Applicants

Gradcafe is a wonderful place, y'all. I had the BU visit yesterday and I was super nervous for it to be full of forced interaction. But as soon as I got there, so many people recognized eachother from GC!!! It was so amazing and so nice to talk about things we've discussed on here in person. It was also nice to discuss how we thought the visit was going when there were no faculty or grad students around. I also am feeling a little more positive about the waitlist and am desperately hoping to move off of it! Good luck everybody!

15 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

But as soon as I got there, so many people recognized eachother from GC!!! It was so amazing and so nice to talk about things we've discussed on here in person.

Word, this is exactly how the Rice visit weekend was. It instantly helped the feel of the visit become more collegial :) 

Just sent an email to Loyola asking about negotiating funding, and let me tell you after years, honestly, of begging the gods to get into a program it felt INCREDIBLY awkward to essentially say thanks so much but you can you give me some more, please? I hope he responds quickly so I don't have too much time to re-read the email and sweat about it.

6 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just sent an email to Loyola asking about negotiating funding, and let me tell you after years, honestly, of begging the gods to get into a program it felt INCREDIBLY awkward to essentially say thanks so much but you can you give me some more, please? I hope he responds quickly so I don't have too much time to re-read the email and sweat about it.

Sending all positive vibes your way.

10 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just FYI for future students, there’s no room for negotiating funding at Loyola besides a possible additional first year fellowship.

Soooo i'm a little perplexed. I emailed UNC Chapel Hill to inquire about my (assumed) rejection a few days ago. I hadn't gotten an app. status update, and I was looking for some closure. However, they informed me that a decision hadn't been made regarding my application. Is it possible that I am actually still being considered for admittance? I wasn't given a waitlist notification, and I would assume that they're solely doling out whatever room they have left to those with a position on the waitlist. Basically, I'm just utterly confused and I feel like my crush is leading me on, lol.

7 minutes ago, alexisnj said:

Soooo i'm a little perplexed. I emailed UNC Chapel Hill to inquire about my (assumed) rejection a few days ago. I hadn't gotten an app. status update, and I was looking for some closure. However, they informed me that a decision hadn't been made regarding my application. Is it possible that I am actually still being considered for admittance? I wasn't given a waitlist notification, and I would assume that they're solely doling out whatever room they have left to those with a position on the waitlist. Basically, I'm just utterly confused and I feel like my crush is leading me on, lol.

The same thing happened to me last week!

im in the same boat as @alexisnj and @tacocat211  I called the department today and was told to email the DGS. But I had a feeling the person I was speaking to was looking at my file and could see that I was rejected and just didn’t want to tell me over the phone. I am basing this off of nothing concrete except for the way she said my name and confirmed it and told me to email. Lol 

@arbie They informed me about my limbo status via email, so the committee could very well be undecided on us! It’s incredibly frustrating though— to have the tiniest fragment of hope dangled in front of you. I’d rather be rejected than on their non disclosed waitlist, or whatever this is. 

26 minutes ago, alexisnj said:

@arbie They informed me about my limbo status via email, so the committee could very well be undecided on us! It’s incredibly frustrating though— to have the tiniest fragment of hope dangled in front of you. I’d rather be rejected than on their non disclosed waitlist, or whatever this is. 

At least it means we’re qualified and not an instant reject! Have any rejections been posted from UNC yet though? Fingers crossed for us both!

@tacocat211 that's awesome news!  It's going to go great!

On another note, anyone else struck by how funny it is that this one thing has been so all-consuming for you for so long, but no one else in your life (or maybe mostly no one else) really gets exactly what the hell you're on about?  Listening to my parents try to tell people what I'll be studying is always a hilarious reality check.

12 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Listening to my parents try to tell people what I'll be studying is always a hilarious reality check.

Yes, yes, 100 times yes. My mom saved a note in her phone so that she can pull it out when people ask what I'll be studying. I started by telling her "20th and 21st century American lit and ecocriticism," which turned into "20th and 21st century American lit," which turned into "American lit," which has now turned into "English." Let's just keep this simple. I find it so funny!

10 minutes ago, CatBowl said:

Yes, yes, 100 times yes. My mom saved a note in her phone so that she can pull it out when people ask what I'll be studying. I started by telling her "20th and 21st century American lit and ecocriticism," which turned into "20th and 21st century American lit," which turned into "American lit," which has now turned into "English." Let's just keep this simple. I find it so funny!

HAHAHA

My dad remembered the word "Chicanx" today (I was so proud), but when the person he was talking to didn't know what that meant and asked, my dad did a big sigh and was like "please don't ask me that.  It's just book stuff."

14 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

"please don't ask me that.  It's just book stuff."

AMAZING. But also, hat's off to your dad for remembering the term at least! I just recently overheard my dad try to explain ecocriticism, and he told my grandma that I'm going to "study nature." Which... isn't...entirely wrong. ? I certainly appreciate the attempts

19 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

@tacocat211 that's awesome news!  It's going to go great!

On another note, anyone else struck by how funny it is that this one thing has been so all-consuming for you for so long, but no one else in your life (or maybe mostly no one else) really gets exactly what the hell you're on about?  Listening to my parents try to tell people what I'll be studying is always a hilarious reality check.

The real kick is saying that you're studying to be a doctor and seeing the heads that turn when you clarify it's a doctorate in literature. 

1 hour ago, MetaphysicalDrama said:

The real kick is saying that you're studying to be a doctor and seeing the heads that turn when you clarify it's a doctorate in literature. 

My family is pretty anti-intellectual so it's been fun seeing their "that's not a real doctor/you're a cog in the liberal indoctrination machine" instincts clash with their very real pride and excitement for me ?

Random Q--in the past 6 months or so, I've gotten 10 poems published, which is super exciting! But now I'm not really sure how to organize them on my CV, because some of them were published in monthly issues of journals (e.g. May 2019) and some were published in "season" issues (Spring 2019), which makes organizing by date a little complex. 

Should I organize them on my CV by:

1) Publishing date (Most recently published to oldest published) (If so, how do I order month issues vs season issues?)

2) Acceptance date (Most recently accepted to oldest accepted)

3) Alphabetical by poem title

Anyone have thoughts, advice, or experience here?

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Random Q--in the past 6 months or so, I've gotten 10 poems published, which is super exciting! But now I'm not really sure how to organize them on my CV, because some of them were published in monthly issues of journals (e.g. May 2019) and some were published in "season" issues (Spring 2019), which makes organizing by date a little complex. 

Should I organize them on my CV by:

1) Publishing date (Most recently published to oldest published) (If so, how do I order month issues vs season issues?)

2) Acceptance date (Most recently accepted to oldest accepted)

3) Alphabetical by poem title

Anyone have thoughts, advice, or experience here?

I list mine by publication date ??‍♀️

I assume many of us will be in the same boat come April 15, so I'm hoping this situation/question helps others: 

I've been accepted with funding to School A, accepted but waitlisted for funding to School B, and waitlisted (but with funding if I get off the waitlist) at School C. I have visited School A (and absolutely fell in love), am visiting School B next week, and I asked if I could visit School C but was told they only do visits for accepted students (which I totally understand). I'm really hoping to make it off the waitlist at School C,  but I'm afraid that will happen on or close to April 15, which means I will not get the chance to visit. If I do get off the waitlist at School C, I'm pretty sure I'd accept that offer above the others.

I'm terrified that if that happens and I accept their offer, the fit won't be right or I'll hate the department or the school, etc. In the coming weeks, I'll likely see if I can speak to a current student at School C to try to get a feel for the departmental environment. I'm just trying to do all the right things now so that I don't have many "what ifs" in the fall. 

Anyone in a similar position? Any tips? 

5 minutes ago, CatBowl said:

I assume many of us will be in the same boat come April 15, so I'm hoping this situation/question helps others: 

I've been accepted with funding to School A, accepted but waitlisted for funding to School B, and waitlisted (but with funding if I get off the waitlist) at School C. I have visited School A (and absolutely fell in love), am visiting School B next week, and I asked if I could visit School C but was told they only do visits for accepted students (which I totally understand). I'm really hoping to make it off the waitlist at School C,  but I'm afraid that will happen on or close to April 15, which means I will not get the chance to visit. If I do get off the waitlist at School C, I'm pretty sure I'd accept that offer above the others.

I'm terrified that if that happens and I accept their offer, the fit won't be right or I'll hate the department or the school, etc. In the coming weeks, I'll likely see if I can speak to a current student at School C to try to get a feel for the departmental environment. I'm just trying to do all the right things now so that I don't have many "what ifs" in the fall. 

Anyone in a similar position? Any tips? 

If I were in this situation, I’d let school c know that I have another offer but am still more interested in their program. (If you haven’t done this already). Maybe something to mention when you reach out to ask if you could talk to students/ faculty to get a feel for the program? Good luck!! If anything, you love the program you have funding for so you’re in a pretty good position!

23 minutes ago, rr732 said:

If I were in this situation, I’d let school c know that I have another offer but am still more interested in their program. (If you haven’t done this already). Maybe something to mention when you reach out to ask if you could talk to students/ faculty to get a feel for the program? Good luck!! If anything, you love the program you have funding for so you’re in a pretty good position!

Thanks for the advice! I talked to a couple students last summer when I was choosing programs to apply to and got a positive feel for this program, but I'd definitely like to reach out again just to make sure. I'll definitely mention that. 

And yes, I am grateful to be in this position! 

Only applied to the University of Stony Brook. They just wanted me to do a WES evaluation and hopefully I should hear back. I'm praying more than anything that I can be accepted into this program. It'd be a dream come true.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, kendalldinniene said:

My family is pretty anti-intellectual so it's been fun seeing their "that's not a real doctor/you're a cog in the liberal indoctrination machine" instincts clash with their very real pride and excitement for me ?

I have a real problem with the whole, " a PhD in literature isn't a real doctor," gag because it might actually be harder to enter a PhD program in literature than medicine.  Nothing against the work doctors do, but last I heard the numbers check out.