2019 Applicants

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I just got a funding offer from Villanova!!! I'm crying this week has been so hard for me and finally something good has happened!!! :) 

Congrats!

6 hours ago, ArcaMajora said:

Woke up today to find out that a paper of mine just got accepted into a conference :')

Congratulations!

22 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

YAAYYYYYY @cassidyaxx!!!!!

Meanwhile I just received my third letter of rejection from Johns Hopkins. Guess they saw from my app what a tenacious go-getter I am and they’re real worried I won’t take no for an answer and just show up for class the first day. 

When I applied to Hopkins' philosophy PhD like six years ago, I got my rejection by snail mail on paper.

Edited by MetaphysicalDrama

Anyone heard anything from UT Austin recently? I've been on the waitlist since January, and even after emailing three times, I've still yet to receive any response. Maybe my e-mails aren't getting read? Maybe they are and they're being ignored? Maybe they hate me now?? :')

5 hours ago, tacocat211 said:

Anyone heard anything from UT Austin recently? I've been on the waitlist since January, and even after emailing three times, I've still yet to receive any response. Maybe my e-mails aren't getting read? Maybe they are and they're being ignored? Maybe they hate me now?? :')

Who are you emailing? I’ve found the grad coordinator to always get back within 24 hours or so, but I have been ghosted by some other people outside of the English department 

Has anyone had any sort of communication with BU? I know several people had declined their spots but I still have heard nothing. I'm wondering if they will really be waiting til April 15th to notify us?

7 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Has anyone had any sort of communication with BU? I know several people had declined their spots but I still have heard nothing. I'm wondering if they will really be waiting til April 15th to notify us?

Yeah my initial waitlist email (and I’m sure yours as well, of course) said they may not alert until April 16th...??? made it easier to decline them, that’s for sure.

I hope you don’t have to wait much longer!!!

15 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Yeah my initial waitlist email (and I’m sure yours as well, of course) said they may not alert until April 16th...??? made it easier to decline them, that’s for sure.

I hope you don’t have to wait much longer!!!

Ugh I did see that! I just have not heard anything from them despite trying to contact them :( I know for a fact multiple people declined so I'm just wondering what the hold up is!

Has anyone on here been accepted to Tufts for Ph.D.? I am currently waitlisted and delaying my decision until I hear back; I'm hoping it is before April 15th. So I figured I would check on here to see if those who were accepted have let Tufts know of their decision or not.    

1 hour ago, cassidyaxx said:

Ugh I did see that! I just have not heard anything from them despite trying to contact them :( I know for a fact multiple people declined so I'm just wondering what the hold up is!

FWIW: A number of universities accept twice as many applicants as they have spots for. Some universities also have waitlists that are determined by time periods. It's likely that 2 people in your time period will need to reject their offer before an offer from the waitlist could be made. It's also possible that the department could be buried under preparing for classes next semester. 

9 hours ago, Warelin said:

FWIW: A number of universities accept twice as many applicants as they have spots for. Some universities also have waitlists that are determined by time periods. It's likely that 2 people in your time period will need to reject their offer before an offer from the waitlist could be made. It's also possible that the department could be buried under preparing for classes next semester. 

At my visit I actually specifically asked questions about this and they only extended the original five offers. However, the waitlist probably had about ten of us on it. 

Though I know the department is very busy now, do you think it is normal that I have not gotten a response from someone this entire cycle? I've reached out to multiple people since early February and have never gotten a single email. 

12 hours ago, kd1990 said:

Has anyone on here been accepted to Tufts for Ph.D.? I am currently waitlisted and delaying my decision until I hear back; I'm hoping it is before April 15th. So I figured I would check on here to see if those who were accepted have let Tufts know of their decision or not.    

Hello! I had been accepted to Tufts for PhD but declined their offer early last week. Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

At my visit I actually specifically asked questions about this and they only extended the original five offers. However, the waitlist probably had about ten of us on it. 

Though I know the department is very busy now, do you think it is normal that I have not gotten a response from someone this entire cycle? I've reached out to multiple people since early February and have never gotten a single email. 

Did they tell you whether their waitlist was ranked or unranked? 

If you haven't heard from the department coordinator, have you tried reaching out to the DGS? Do you know if others have had success in contacting them? Have you tried calling the department coordinator? Depending on when you contacted them, it is possible that your e-mail was buried or went into spam. A phone call might allow you to receive a faster response and be able to receive a better idea of the likelihood of an offer being extended to you. I think most colleges are willing to provide you with an idea of where you currently stand.

8 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Did they tell you whether their waitlist was ranked or unranked? 

If you haven't heard from the department coordinator, have you tried reaching out to the DGS? Do you know if others have had success in contacting them? Have you tried calling the department coordinator? Depending on when you contacted them, it is possible that your e-mail was buried or went into spam. A phone call might allow you to receive a faster response and be able to receive a better idea of the likelihood of an offer being extended to you. I think most colleges are willing to provide you with an idea of where you currently stand.

Thank you! It is unranked and pulled by interest. I've contacted them through email and phone and have heard nothing. I'm not sure if others have heard. That's why I was asking originally. I may call again since I have other offers! Thanks

4 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Thank you! It is unranked and pulled by interest. I've contacted them through email and phone and have heard nothing. I'm not sure if others have heard. That's why I was asking originally. I may call again since I have other offers! Thanks

I was in communication with Jonathan Foltz and he was extremely communicative, even getting me in touch with a current grad to ask questions, and answering my questions himself as well. He always got back to me within like a day. Try him!

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I was in communication with Jonathan Foltz and he was extremely communicative, even getting me in touch with a current grad to ask questions, and answering my questions himself as well. He always got back to me within like a day. Try him!

I did! He was actually one of the people I've emailed more than once. Huh.