2019 Applicants

My department has just added a new course that I would love to take so I’m really stressing out about which courses to pick. It really is a privileged predicament, but it’s hard to pick what is the best course of action. There are 3 courses that would be perfect for me but don’t fulfill any requirements, a great course that would fulfill a requirement but is ostensibly offered every year, a great course but in another department, and then 1-3 courses that would fill requirements but aren’t my fields (though seeing as I have to take some at some point, some would be as good as it gets within those fields). No idea how to play this. Go for pure indulgence? Play it safe with requirements?

This without taking into account that maybe I could take 4 classes since there’s no teaching, or audit a course. Or that maybe some of the requirements will be waived. Or that maybe I should limit my courseload since I’ll have to adapt to the area and help my wife (who doesn’t speak the language fluently and has never lived away from home) settle. Or taking into account the question of should you use the first year to branch out or delve into your area? Establish connections with potential supervisors or get to know other faculty? 

I know that ultimately any choice will be a good one, but it would be so awesome to know every single course to be offered forever and make a perfect plan.

14 hours ago, WildeThing said:

My department has just added a new course that I would love to take so I’m really stressing out about which courses to pick. It really is a privileged predicament, but it’s hard to pick what is the best course of action. There are 3 courses that would be perfect for me but don’t fulfill any requirements, a great course that would fulfill a requirement but is ostensibly offered every year, a great course but in another department, and then 1-3 courses that would fill requirements but aren’t my fields (though seeing as I have to take some at some point, some would be as good as it gets within those fields). No idea how to play this. Go for pure indulgence? Play it safe with requirements?

This without taking into account that maybe I could take 4 classes since there’s no teaching, or audit a course. Or that maybe some of the requirements will be waived. Or that maybe I should limit my courseload since I’ll have to adapt to the area and help my wife (who doesn’t speak the language fluently and has never lived away from home) settle. Or taking into account the question of should you use the first year to branch out or delve into your area? Establish connections with potential supervisors or get to know other faculty? 

I know that ultimately any choice will be a good one, but it would be so awesome to know every single course to be offered forever and make a perfect plan.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that it's better to do requirements earlier rather than later. That way, you can stack more courses in your area of interest closer to when you're going to be doing exams. It takes a lot of the heat off that way, because you'll be able to cross off many texts on your exam list just from being in the class recently. Having to do required courses close to exams is (in my opinion) pretty stressful because it's additional reading that you can't double dip with on your lists. Especially if these requirements are versions of the classes/period that are appealing to you, that would be my recommendation. But I also agree that talking with your advisor is a good idea at this stage.

Thanks, we will be assigned an advisor in August so we’ll have to wait on that one. As for the orals, that’s a tough question because whose to say what topics will offered in semester 4, or what my topics will be. Technically none of the courses offered now are actually in what would make my oral lists. It’s just tough all around. In a great way though, I’ve had semesters where none of my classes were appealing in the slightest so this is much better.

Hi everyone! Didn't want to post a separate thread just for this – did anyone apply to Ohio State this round? I'm looking to apply there for 2020 entry and I'm unclear on which faculty members I'd be able to work with and thus mention in my SoP. I'm really interested in a faculty member who works on the Newark campus. Is this someone I wouldn't have access to as an English lit grad student at OSU? I'm not sure if it's a Rutgers situation where New Brunswick (in this case, Columbus) is its own university, or if there is overlap in the department between the different campuses.

I figure I can always email the DGS or professor and ask, but wanted to save myself looking silly if anyone here knows.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

11 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just started Lincoln in the Bardo, about halfway through now and desperate to talk about it!  Anyone here read it?

i made it halfway through before i had to return it and i found it infuriating because of the style/format. there'd be a beautiful half of a sentence... and a citation. i couldn't get invested because i kept stopping to google things. fine for non-fiction but i wanted to enjoy the actual prose more. 

4 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

i made it halfway through before i had to return it and i found it infuriating because of the style/format. there'd be a beautiful half of a sentence... and a citation. i couldn't get invested because i kept stopping to google things. fine for non-fiction but i wanted to enjoy the actual prose more. 

I can see that! Personally I am digging the hell out of it. Especially since so many of the “sources” are fake. Talk about unreliable narrators!

@kendalldinniene Like @jadeisokay I read a good chunk before I had to move and return it to the library. I dug it though because I had always wanted to write a book that is essentially just quotations, which I felt it was doing. I didn't finish it though before leaving so can't say it compelled me.

On reading for fun: Anyone read Normal People? I know it's like the IT book of the literary world with a bunch of boomers saying how Sally Rooney is the first great millennial author which seems dismissive of a lot of great young authors, but I was fucking blown away because it was so simple. It felt true and I mean that in the most naive and genuine way possible. Also just finished the second novel in Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan series and am now desperately looking for a used copy of the third in every bookshop in London, it's bound to appear. I found the 4th book today, but felt weird to grab that since I move in a week and don't have the third!

I am desperately trying to finish my MA thesis, but am losing energy. I have the 18000 words but they aren't the right ones yet. 

I also got my TA assignment the other day: Politics of Fashion in Fall and Lit 1 in Spring. I am so excited but also nervous. I haven't got to register for classes yet, but my first quarter is just a teaching colloquium and an introduction class unless I am mistaken.

I got to visit Dallas for a few days last week to apartment hunt and I absolutely fell in love with the city and the people, which I wasn’t really expecting. Then I found out the day after I got home that I got my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood. I’m over the moon right now and it just makes the amazement and gratitude I feel about grad school that much bigger and better. I’m so happy right now.

9 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

I got to visit Dallas for a few days last week to apartment hunt and I absolutely fell in love with the city and the people, which I wasn’t really expecting. Then I found out the day after I got home that I got my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood. I’m over the moon right now and it just makes the amazement and gratitude I feel about grad school that much bigger and better. I’m so happy right now.

YES! Reading this put such a big smile on my face. You deserve this so much! And what a good energy to kick off your experience with. We’re all rooting for you here!

My department has added 3 new courses in the vicinity of my area but I have been told by another grad student that I am unlikely to be allowed to audit an additional course. Still no idea what to do.

13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

My department has added 3 new courses in the vicinity of my area but I have been told by another grad student that I am unlikely to be allowed to audit an additional course. Still no idea what to do.

How rare are classes that are within the vicinity of your area? How rare are your required courses?

6 hours ago, Warelin said:

How rare are classes that are within the vicinity of your area? How rare are your required courses?

I’d say courses in my area are offered less frequently, but the question then is which to choose. In my undergrad we didn’t have elective courses at all so this is a new experience for me.

14 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Apartment hunting from a distance is SO hard. ?I know I'm going to find something/figure something out, but that doesn't mean I'm not stressed af.

Totally feel this but everything will fall into place, I promise. For me it all worked itself out when I was in the Dallas airport heading home and feeling so defeated for not finding anything. I’ve got my fingers crossed you’ll have the perfect spot soon.

6 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Totally feel this but everything will fall into place, I promise. For me it all worked itself out when I was in the Dallas airport heading home and feeling so defeated for not finding anything. I’ve got my fingers crossed you’ll have the perfect spot soon.

Thanks for the encouragement ☺️ I'm hopeful for sure! I know it'll all work out in the end.

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Apartment hunting from a distance is SO hard. ?I know I'm going to find something/figure something out, but that doesn't mean I'm not stressed af.

it was so hard hunting from afar! i only got lucky because of my roommate being in the area beforehand. i still had to couch surf/short term with people before our lease started. good luck to you :)

my place isn't close to campus at all but I've made acquaintances with people who have similar commutes to hyde park from my area so i feel better. still saying it's extra reading time and keeps me close to work/is bonkers cheap for our area. chicago on the whole is still amazing.