my undergrad messed up sending my official transcripts on my first try. they FINALLY fixed it and now i can officially register!!! 

Just got the nicest email from my historical fiction 1965-present professor welcoming everyone to the seminar and sharing the potential reading list, and asking for feedback/additions. Holy shit I cannot wait to start grad school 😍

13 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just got the nicest email from my historical fiction 1965-present professor welcoming everyone to the seminar and sharing the potential reading list, and asking for feedback/additions. Holy shit I cannot wait to start grad school 😍

It's so awesome that your professor reached out so far ahead of time!!!! That is so exciting. What are some of the highlights of the reading list?

1 hour ago, illcounsel said:

It's so awesome that your professor reached out so far ahead of time!!!! That is so exciting. What are some of the highlights of the reading list?

Besides how long it is 😭😍🤓? Haha

A couple of my favorite books are on it, including Slaughterhouse-Five and Beloved, as well as a ton of Pynchon. I think I’m going to get a start on it over the summer rereading the books I do have already, for...survival purposes. 🤣

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Besides how long it is 😭😍🤓? Haha

OmG!!!!!! I've tried to get used to reading 1-3 hours a day in preparation for school. I am sure the amount of reading will still blindside me though!!!!

2 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

OmG!!!!!! I've tried to get used to reading 1-3 hours a day in preparation for school. I am sure the amount of reading will still blindside me though!!!!

That’s what I should be doing but instead I’m mostly binging Netflix and lounging around because I know I won’t be able to soon. 

The reading list for the What is the Contemporary? course currently looks like this: Teju Cole, Open City; Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis; Mohsin Hamid, Exit West; Barbara Kingsolver, Flight Behavior; Jamaica Kincaid, Lucy; Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being. I haven't read any of these novels before, so that's exciting! And that it's almost all POC!

47 minutes ago, madandmoonly said:

The reading list for the What is the Contemporary? course currently looks like this: Teju Cole, Open City; Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis; Mohsin Hamid, Exit West; Barbara Kingsolver, Flight Behavior; Jamaica Kincaid, Lucy; Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being. I haven't read any of these novels before, so that's exciting! And that it's almost all POC!

Exit West is SO good! I enjoyed it extremely and am reading Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist now. I read Exit West for a course in my undergrad on 21st Century Literatures of Displacement and Refugees and it was one of my favorite texts on the syllabus. 

Didn’t see imposter syndrome kicking in quite this early, but that professor of mine is asking for feedback on the proposed reading list as well as additions. All of these people have already replied all with great insights and suggestions and I’m like... *crickets*

Do I even grad school, bro?

Recently my excitement and nervousness about my MA program has displaced itself onto irrational anxiety that I don’t have the right clothes for grad school 😂 Like what do people wear to class? I’m 100% overthinking it but that doesn’t mean I’m not resorting to retail therapy.

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:
2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Recently my excitement and nervousness about my MA program has displaced itself onto irrational anxiety that I don’t have the right clothes for grad school 😂 Like what do people wear to class? I’m 100% overthinking it but that doesn’t mean I’m not resorting to retail therapy.

S A M E

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

@kendalldinniene Right? I also am switching climates so I literally have no idea what even to buy. Just starting to bleed out all my cash now lol

I’ve spent more than I should have buying cotton and linen stuff because it’s so hot in Texas meanwhile I live in Sacramento where it’s hot as balls and my existing wardrobe works just fine 🤣.

Just wait until I get into my new apartment and start decorating though, haha, talk about major bucks!

it has been 70ish one day here, 50 and storming the next, then wildly fluctuating on a whim the next after that. i have no clue what to wear any given day. and i suppose i need to bug my mom to mail my thermal stuff sooner or later. 

My department has just added a new course that I would love to take so I’m really stressing out about which courses to pick. It really is a privileged predicament, but it’s hard to pick what is the best course of action. There are 3 courses that would be perfect for me but don’t fulfill any requirements, a great course that would fulfill a requirement but is ostensibly offered every year, a great course but in another department, and then 1-3 courses that would fill requirements but aren’t my fields (though seeing as I have to take some at some point, some would be as good as it gets within those fields). No idea how to play this. Go for pure indulgence? Play it safe with requirements?

This without taking into account that maybe I could take 4 classes since there’s no teaching, or audit a course. Or that maybe some of the requirements will be waived. Or that maybe I should limit my courseload since I’ll have to adapt to the area and help my wife (who doesn’t speak the language fluently and has never lived away from home) settle. Or taking into account the question of should you use the first year to branch out or delve into your area? Establish connections with potential supervisors or get to know other faculty? 

I know that ultimately any choice will be a good one, but it would be so awesome to know every single course to be offered forever and make a perfect plan.

@WildeThing Have you been assigned an advisor to help you figure out courses? That's personally what I'm waiting on b/c I also have a ton of questions but no one to ask them to as yet... 

14 hours ago, WildeThing said:

My department has just added a new course that I would love to take so I’m really stressing out about which courses to pick. It really is a privileged predicament, but it’s hard to pick what is the best course of action. There are 3 courses that would be perfect for me but don’t fulfill any requirements, a great course that would fulfill a requirement but is ostensibly offered every year, a great course but in another department, and then 1-3 courses that would fill requirements but aren’t my fields (though seeing as I have to take some at some point, some would be as good as it gets within those fields). No idea how to play this. Go for pure indulgence? Play it safe with requirements?

This without taking into account that maybe I could take 4 classes since there’s no teaching, or audit a course. Or that maybe some of the requirements will be waived. Or that maybe I should limit my courseload since I’ll have to adapt to the area and help my wife (who doesn’t speak the language fluently and has never lived away from home) settle. Or taking into account the question of should you use the first year to branch out or delve into your area? Establish connections with potential supervisors or get to know other faculty? 

I know that ultimately any choice will be a good one, but it would be so awesome to know every single course to be offered forever and make a perfect plan.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that it's better to do requirements earlier rather than later. That way, you can stack more courses in your area of interest closer to when you're going to be doing exams. It takes a lot of the heat off that way, because you'll be able to cross off many texts on your exam list just from being in the class recently. Having to do required courses close to exams is (in my opinion) pretty stressful because it's additional reading that you can't double dip with on your lists. Especially if these requirements are versions of the classes/period that are appealing to you, that would be my recommendation. But I also agree that talking with your advisor is a good idea at this stage.

Thanks, we will be assigned an advisor in August so we’ll have to wait on that one. As for the orals, that’s a tough question because whose to say what topics will offered in semester 4, or what my topics will be. Technically none of the courses offered now are actually in what would make my oral lists. It’s just tough all around. In a great way though, I’ve had semesters where none of my classes were appealing in the slightest so this is much better.

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! Didn't want to post a separate thread just for this – did anyone apply to Ohio State this round? I'm looking to apply there for 2020 entry and I'm unclear on which faculty members I'd be able to work with and thus mention in my SoP. I'm really interested in a faculty member who works on the Newark campus. Is this someone I wouldn't have access to as an English lit grad student at OSU? I'm not sure if it's a Rutgers situation where New Brunswick (in this case, Columbus) is its own university, or if there is overlap in the department between the different campuses.

I figure I can always email the DGS or professor and ask, but wanted to save myself looking silly if anyone here knows.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

11 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just started Lincoln in the Bardo, about halfway through now and desperate to talk about it!  Anyone here read it?

i made it halfway through before i had to return it and i found it infuriating because of the style/format. there'd be a beautiful half of a sentence... and a citation. i couldn't get invested because i kept stopping to google things. fine for non-fiction but i wanted to enjoy the actual prose more. 

4 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

i made it halfway through before i had to return it and i found it infuriating because of the style/format. there'd be a beautiful half of a sentence... and a citation. i couldn't get invested because i kept stopping to google things. fine for non-fiction but i wanted to enjoy the actual prose more. 

I can see that! Personally I am digging the hell out of it. Especially since so many of the “sources” are fake. Talk about unreliable narrators!

@kendalldinniene Like @jadeisokay I read a good chunk before I had to move and return it to the library. I dug it though because I had always wanted to write a book that is essentially just quotations, which I felt it was doing. I didn't finish it though before leaving so can't say it compelled me.

On reading for fun: Anyone read Normal People? I know it's like the IT book of the literary world with a bunch of boomers saying how Sally Rooney is the first great millennial author which seems dismissive of a lot of great young authors, but I was fucking blown away because it was so simple. It felt true and I mean that in the most naive and genuine way possible. Also just finished the second novel in Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan series and am now desperately looking for a used copy of the third in every bookshop in London, it's bound to appear. I found the 4th book today, but felt weird to grab that since I move in a week and don't have the third!

I am desperately trying to finish my MA thesis, but am losing energy. I have the 18000 words but they aren't the right ones yet. 

I also got my TA assignment the other day: Politics of Fashion in Fall and Lit 1 in Spring. I am so excited but also nervous. I haven't got to register for classes yet, but my first quarter is just a teaching colloquium and an introduction class unless I am mistaken.