2019 Applicants

On 7/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, jadeisokay said:

yay for housing! i'm not entirely familiar with the villanova area but am familiar with philly. and you have a great basketball team to go watch.

yes!!! it’s the biggest relief to feel like I finally have things sliding into place. I’m not super into sports but I feel like I have to go to at least one basketball game just to say I did haha

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have orientations coming up? I have an all day one with the graduate program on Tuesday and a couple hours long one with the English department a few days later. And then classes start on the 26th! Are y’all freaking out yet???

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Anyone else have orientations coming up? I have an all day one with the graduate program on Tuesday and a couple hours long one with the English department a few days later. And then classes start on the 26th! Are y’all freaking out yet???

I moved into my house on Saturday and my first orientation is this Wednesday!! I’m so excited. Class on the 26th for me too. I’m more excited than nervous but that might change as I’m walking up to the building haha!

Glad to see this thread still getting updated omg

I'm still a ways away from UC Irvine starting but that September 26th start date is creeping up quick. I have two orientations next September (School of Humanities + Campuswide) and then a beginning of the year party.

Also have an apartment, about to pick up keys in a few weeks' time and hopefully settle in by mid-September.

It's a little bit surreal to call myself graduate student still (much less having a new institutional affiliation). I've been busying myself with MLA database deep dives as well as reading some books that are long overdue for me to read (all this time my UG library would have a full PDF of Cruising Utopia digitally lol).

I don't have the jitters quite yet, but tbh once it hits September it'll definitely sink in for me.

So excited for all of you! :D

Edited by ArcaMajora

5 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I moved into my house on Saturday and my first orientation is this Wednesday!! I’m so excited. Class on the 26th for me too. I’m more excited than nervous but that might change as I’m walking up to the building haha!

I’m super excited too! But scared also. It’s strange for me to be scared in an academic setting and yet there it is. I’m sure after my first week I’ll feel better. It’s hard not know exactly what I’m in for. 

Congrats on your house! Please post or reach out after your first day! I’m excited to see how us 2018 applicants get along.

7 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

I’m super excited too! But scared also. It’s strange for me to be scared in an academic setting and yet there it is. I’m sure after my first week I’ll feel better. It’s hard not know exactly what I’m in for. 

Congrats on your house! Please post or reach out after your first day! I’m excited to see how us 2018 applicants get along.

Yes exactly! I feel the same way. I think once I have a sense of the territory I’ll feel better.

Same to you, truly!!! I hope some of us stick around and keep each other updated—I really am invested in your grad school journey. 

First orientation's in two days, yikes, and then the department orientation is the day after. First day of class likely on the 27th? Haven't technically signed up for classes yet, but I'm pretty sure. Talked to my advisor for a bit yesterday and we're getting along well so far, so that's been really nice and also a relief. Currently working through Derrida's Specters of Marx

23 hours ago, madandmoonly said:

First orientation's in two days, yikes, and then the department orientation is the day after. First day of class likely on the 27th? Haven't technically signed up for classes yet, but I'm pretty sure. Talked to my advisor for a bit yesterday and we're getting along well so far, so that's been really nice and also a relief. Currently working through Derrida's Specters of Marx

Do you sign up for classes at orientation? 

57 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Do you sign up for classes at orientation? 

Yep, after discussing it over with our advisors. I'm pretty sure I know which classes I need to take, so I've just been waiting for orientation to get that settled. Looking forward to starting next week!