2019 Applicants

@Bopie5 Yes! it was for Comp Lit --sorry @ all for any undue alarm!! Surely I want to make much more of it than it calls for--masochist that I strive to be--but Julie the admin person sent an apology email immediately after sending a 'you're-missing-rec-letters' email to quote "the wrong list"--I'm overanalyzing the existence of multiple lists as a sign that I am, in fact, on A list, and that this list holds the key to some truth relevant to my place in their deliberations..............this is too grand a peek behind my chaos-curtain for comfort.......

anywho....current research! I'm writing a creative dissertation that explores the limits of media-sites--the more I discover/explore, the more inadequate I feel my self-presentation has been in these applications, as if I've already eclipsed myself and that this eclipse is for naught, given the finite timeline. 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

That does sound super fun! :) I took a class that touched on conspiracy theories, and our professor mentioned that there's apparently some conspiracy theory about Disney pushing a homosexual agenda in their movies? Maybe these people would benefit from reading your finished product!

Ugh I've read some of that conspiracy literature. I remember talking with someone once about that, and I said "Do you really think that there's like some super secret council of gay plotting to influence children toward "the liberal agenda" through cartoons?" and they were like "You're a fool if you don't." ?Would be cool if I could somehow get this published to start the conversation going the other direction...maybe I'm leaning too conspiracy theorist myself here, but it's hard for me to not see a megacorporation as either propping up either hegemonic ideals, or deploying justice rhetoric and imagery for profit...

1 hour ago, illcounsel said:

When I was revising my undergrad thesis for applications I watched Brokeback Mountain and God's Own Country many times. Opening up our critical mind to sources outside of journals and scholarly books is so fun and rewarding!

Definitely agree! I haven't seen God's Own Country yet, but it's on my list for sure. What was your take on the two films?

1 hour ago, dilby said:

So I'm catching up with all of the major 2018 film releases on my watchlist and working on my goal of finishing all of Shakespeare's plays before starting grad school.

What films are on your watchlist? I'm trying to do the same rn!

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

I’m also doing some creative writing, including a fantasy novel and a revision of Oedipus which centers around Jocasta and is set in the 1980s.

Ah, so so cool. Your Oedipus project sounds fascinating! I'm doing some creative writing too, mostly poetry. Working on getting more publications rn.

7 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Julie the admin person sent an apology email immediately after sending a 'you're-missing-rec-letters' email to quote "the wrong list"--I'm overanalyzing the existence of multiple lists as a sign that I am, in fact, on A list, and that this list holds the key to some truth relevant to my place in their deliberations..............this is too grand a peek behind my chaos-curtain for comfort.......

Damn that sounds INCREDIBLY stressful. I'd probably briefly lose consciousness if I got an email like that...totally get the overanalyzing though, I'd be doing the exact same thing.

21 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@Bopie5 Yes! it was for Comp Lit --sorry @ all for any undue alarm!! Surely I want to make much more of it than it calls for--masochist that I strive to be--but Julie the admin person sent an apology email immediately after sending a 'you're-missing-rec-letters' email to quote "the wrong list"--I'm overanalyzing the existence of multiple lists as a sign that I am, in fact, on A list, and that this list holds the key to some truth relevant to my place in their deliberations..............this is too grand a peek behind my chaos-curtain for comfort.......

If admin are still collecting rec letters from other people, the professors probably haven't started evaluating in earnest. But, I would definitely feel 100% the same way!!! 

26 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

anywho....current research! I'm writing a creative dissertation that explores the limits of media-sites--the more I discover/explore, the more inadequate I feel my self-presentation has been in these applications, as if I've already eclipsed myself and that this eclipse is for naught, given the finite timeline. 

My gut reaction is that the "list" is people with/without missing documents, rather than anything decision-related.

teaching-wise, i briefly mentioned my teaching philosophy in my statement and indicated i was eager to continue growing as a teacher. the places that asked for a personal statement, i did mention teaching a bit more :) 

@Bopie5 i'm working on a paper about hitchcock and melancholy on-and-off. i don't think i'll do anything with it, but i'm hoping that going through the motions will make sure i don't forget how to write a paper lol

mostly the affective experience of the female characters...... hitchcock has a thing with making women super miserable in his films

i'm not a poet, unfortunately. i do write fiction, but i didn't have time or the creative capacity to write much the last two years :(  one day i'll learn to balance creativity and academia lol

@Bopie5 so, I've almost made my way through my watchlist but still need to catch If Beale Street Could Talk, Suspiria, The Favourite, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Lean On Pete, Vox Lux, and Widows. I'm finally seeing Into The Spider-Verse tonight and am super jazzed. :) 

Recent 2018 watches that I think are essential viewing: Shoplifters (!!!), Madeline's Madeline (on Amazon), Minding the Gap (on Hulu) and this Oscar-shortlisted animated film, Weekends. If you haven't seen Lee Chang-Dong's Burning yet, you should not do anything else until you've caught it.

@dilby AH! The Favourite is incredibly excellent. I sat silently in the theatre for like ten minutes after it ended because I didn’t know what to do with myself. Seeing Beale Street this Friday, really excited about it.

Where/how did you watch Burning? I’ve been looking for it everywhere and I can’t find it. 

3 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Gotta love how the thread has become so active as we are officially in decision season.

you mean officially in-denial-of-our-impending-dooms season surely...............

5 minutes ago, sad_diamond said:

I saw Madeline's Madeline in September and I really haven't stopped thinking about it since...

Isn't it amazing??? It's 100% compassionate, all out Joycean cinema. It's, like, woke Terrence Malick (and I love Terry).

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Where/how did you watch Burning? I’ve been looking for it everywhere and I can’t find it. 

Austin has a very active film society that brings most major foreign releases (and where I interned for a year :)), so I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen. Don't read anything about Burning before you see it!

58 minutes ago, sad_diamond said:

@Bopie5 your thesis reminds me of HIM from powerpuff girls...the queerest and most brilliant villain out there 

I've never seen powerpuff girls ? Might have to look some episodes up for research!

50 minutes ago, dilby said:

Austin has a very active film society that brings most major foreign releases (and where I interned for a year :)), so I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen. Don't read anything about Burning before you see it!

Urghhhh I guess I'm going to have to wait until it's available on DVD or to rent bc they didn't screen it where I live. Jealous af!

Yup! It's not there anymore. I don't think it means anything, though... You can still access the (still empty) results page by replacing 'status' with 'update' on the URL.

4 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

I don't remember seeing that. Where was it?

It was an image of an envelope in the upper corner of the application. Of course, I could also just be losing it.