2019 Applicants

45 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Yep I feel this. Trying to jump on the super cheap fares to Australia in several months but I’m like “I don’t know if I’ll need to save all that money for moving to school that month instead...” ?

one of my closest friends is australian, and i promised to visit this year if i don't get into grad school lol same concerns!

tbf, i've always had one plan in place that'd relieve any feelings of "wow my life sucks" after a potential shut-out. i applied to a writing workshop residency for june-july a few years ago, and while it stressed me out that i was having to coordinate moving in my head, it also would've been really great to get my mind off of the fact i hadn't gotten in (if i hadn't). the year before that, i had a trip to paris planned. this year, i have a few small trips planned, and a potential big one should the stars align with income tax lol don't hold off making some plans if you don't know where you'll be. you can always rearrange or cancel if you get good news! but it's better to have it all set already if you get bad news, imo

Hi all. After lurking for some time, I decided to make an account after finalizing some master's applications. You lot seem like a lovely, diverse array of talented people. I hope you all get into your first choices. I must admit I was hesitant to chime in because I find GC a bit difficult to navigate, but that could very well be my exhaustion talking. Trying to prepare grad school applications I was happy sending off while working two jobs was...iiinteresting. Since everyone seems to be introducing themselves, I'm an American applicant angling to do an IR master's in the UK. I believe my brain is currently approaching a shutdown rivaled only by that of my country's government. *laughs in sad* I am currently reading a Didion novel; she makes me feel cooler than I am.

This whole waiting game is starting to get to me too; my best friend from undergrad got into two chemistry PhD programs this week; seeing her get decisions so early is making me antsy!! (Even though I know literature programs usually announce later)

@mwils15   hm maybe pick up marathon running?  jk but yeah im anxious too, though it's really understated for some reason; i keep it in the back of my mind.  idk i just have the mindset that, as cliched and seemingly untrue it sounds, everything really does turn out ok in the end, no matter whether you want things to happen a certain way or not, it just works out.... idk, my 2 cents, extremely vague & maybe unhelpful, but one of my guiding philosophies

@velvetcactus welcome to the thread and best of luck!

i know i wouldn't be a great therapist lol i've been working in psych research long enough to know that. i'd probably get an msw from uw, stay in seattle, work in research. it'd be fulfilling work, i'd get to stay close to friends and family and a beautiful city, and i could switch up my job every few years if i got bored... which is not something that i could really do with a phd so that's a plus side i suppose. this plan b is pretty much keeping me sane and reducing my anxiety by a large margin. my relative lack of excitement for this route, though, is why i know i made the right decision to take another stab at phd programs.

@mwils15 I feel you on this one.  Most of my close friends at school are science majors and applied to either dental or medical school and heard their responses in December just before the semester ended.  As they were hearing back from schools I was still in the process of wrapping up my applications.  It's rough being later on the timeline for sure!

3 minutes ago, Englishtea1 said:

Hi everyone! Long time lurker here! I posted the UIUC acceptance. Still in utter shock. I applied to many, many programs and I'm surprised that the first one I've heard back from is an acceptance.

Great program! CONGRATS!

3 minutes ago, Englishtea1 said:

Hi everyone! Long time lurker here! I posted the UIUC acceptance. Still in utter shock. I applied to many, many programs and I'm surprised that the first one I've heard back from is an acceptance.

That's incredible!! You'll have the distinction of being the first 2019 admit for all the nervous kiddos checking back in future years :)