2019 Applicants

30 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Wow I love that you love Hospice too.  It is an unbelievable album (and the Antlers are incredible as well).  The alternate song titles are so harrowing.

I am a huge fan of Bright Eyes ("No One Would Riot For Less" is one of my all-time favorite songs off their album Cassadaga), Bon Iver, Keaton Henson (have you ever listened to Soko? She's sort of similar and they used to date), and Florence + The Machine as well.  Wow, we are kindred music spirits!

It's truly unbelievable! I used Bear in a theatre piece last year and I almost cried every time--"We'll make only quick decisions", ugh. 

Wow, we truly are! Love to find that. I haven't listened to Soko, but now I'll definitely have to check her out. Keaton is another great option of music for crying, haha! 

2 hours ago, manymusings14 said:

Hi guys, I'm one of the Emory interviewees. Have been lurking here for a while and y'all seem like really nice people. Does anyone have any idea what the interview is supposed to consist of? The DGS emailed me and said there'd be dinners, social events, a city tour (??), and interviews with faculty. It's a four-day thing and that feels like a super long time. Let me know if anyone knows anything about the interview process. I'm super anxious about it.

Maybe search the previous threads to see if anyone talked about their Emory experiences? If it's 4 days they're probably investing a significant chunk of coin into putting you up, transportation, etc. so they're really trying to impress you as much as you'd like to impress them--it's yours to lose at this point, so no need to be super anxious! :)

There are usually events to show you what life is going to be like in the area, hence the city tour. 

EDIT: And, of course, congrats on the interview! 

Edited by sugilite

2 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I am a huge fan of Bright Eyes ("No One Would Riot For Less" is one of my all-time favorite songs off their album Cassadaga), Bon Iver, Keaton Henson (have you ever listened to Soko? She's sort of similar and they used to date), and Florence + The Machine as well.  Wow, we are kindred music spirits!

i love bright eyes. that brings me back. also to everyone who mentioned death cab and the national, also some great loves there. i've seen the national live, which was fantastic. i've seen death cab twice! and i love florence + the machine, she is fucking magic on stage holy dear lord.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, manymusings14 said:

Hi guys, I'm one of the Emory interviewees. Have been lurking here for a while and y'all seem like really nice people. Does anyone have any idea what the interview is supposed to consist of? The DGS emailed me and said there'd be dinners, social events, a city tour (??), and interviews with faculty. It's a four-day thing and that feels like a super long time. Let me know if anyone knows anything about the interview process. I'm super anxious about it.

Congrats on your interview! From my understanding,  Emory does make its decisions on who to admit based on the interactions. They tend to accept from that list and waitlist the remainder of applicants from those invited.

27 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

i love bright eyes. that brings me back. also to everyone who mentioned death cab and the national, also some great loves there. i've seen the national live, which was fantastic. i've seen death cab twice! and i love florence + the machine, she is fucking magic on stage holy dear lord.

one of my favorite shows ever was ted leo and the pharmacists opening for death cab. i was prob 13/14 (so 2006 or 07) so my dad stood with me the whole time and it was a blast. i saw the national around then, too, and they were incredible. 

On 1/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, lyonel_ said:

Right now I’m really into sample-based electronic and vapor wave! Like George Clanton, Nicolas Jaar, James Ferraro, etc. I’d highly suggest Clanton’s recent album, Slide

Also, i thoroughly enjoyed the 1975’s new album!

I love listening to stuff like this while writing, reading, etc. so thank you for these recommendations! All new to me!

The diverse music taste in this group is awesome; I'm happy to see so much more than huge pop artists haha. My music tastes are all across the board. Any Ásgeir fans? Or maybe because you guys seem to know and love the National...Dismemberment Plan? 

9 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

the dismemberment plan! AHH, i listen to them pretty much every day. "ice of boston" is the only holiday song that exists in my world. 

Yesss! I pretty much compare every drummer to theirs. I was lucky to see them live twice when they briefly reunited. Lots of fun and interestingly enough Ice of Boston was the song when they chose to call people up on stage to jam out. 

ooh, haven't heard of it but i officially trust everyone's taste on here.

@velvetcactus i am so jealous you got to see them. 

lately also jamming a lot of Thursday because i finally get to watch them perform next month playing my favorite album of theirs in entirety. my punk heart will sob.

Did grad cafe change the way the search tool works on the Results page or something? All of my old searches bring up no results now...anyone else having this problem? Probably a blessing in disguise lol

4 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Anyone else here a fan of Mary Oliver? I'm devastated to hear she passed away.

Yes. I’ve just been reading her poetry since I found out this morning, feeling very sad but also grateful for her talent and outlook on life.

4 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Me. I woke up this morning with a notification in the group chat from my abroad semester with the news article announcing it. Oliver was such a compassionate genius and her words have been so comforting to me at so many points in my life. It's a sad, sad day. ?

47 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

"I don't want to end up having simply visited this world" -When Death Comes

What a beautiful soul. So sad to hear the news.