2019 Applicants

18 minutes ago, dilby said:

They accepted my application and $$, so I hope they are taking new students !!

I must be mistaken then - I can't imagine they would be accepting applications with no intention of admitting students. The chair of my department is the one who passed along that info in September - so maybe something changed between then and December, or I am misremembering things (most likely scenario).

*** In fact, I know that I am misremembering things - I think it was Notre Dame (once again, someone correct me if I am wrong). The person who told me graduated from Duke, so I think that's where the false memory is coming from! Sorry if this freaked anybody out!

Edited by j.alicea

2 minutes ago, j.alicea said:

so maybe something changed between then and December, or I am misremembering things (most likely scenario).

I hope this is the case! If it's any comfort to fellow Duke Lit applicants they accepted 7 students last year and only 2 matriculated which seems like it could mean that they have a little more space this year!

Just now, sad_diamond said:

I hope this is the case! If it's any comfort to fellow Duke Lit applicants they accepted 7 students last year and only 2 matriculated which seems like it could mean that they have a little more space this year!

Hell yeah, this factoid fuckin rules. Have a meme.

30227150_10214895613680580_443095912723252419_n.jpg.824d9cc2c7a6406d0f9c0ec2ac9ce21b.jpg

Sometimes,  The Graduate College and the Department have a miscommunication or a change in budget which causes some confusion.

In recent years, Penn State has had their MFA in Creative Writing program pulled after applications were due. More recently, I think the same thing happened to Notre Dame's Literature (2017?, I think) program. In both cases, applicants were refunded. I think in both cases the department was trying to find extra money but couldn't do so and didn't want to admit unfunded students. Most colleges really are on your side. :)

2 hours ago, conraddy said:

Duke decision is killing me... knowing that their window is the 19-23 (rather than, like, sometime in late January) has me looking at the application portal every 10 minutes. Jeepers!!! 

ohh, where'd you get the information from? i've always thought they simply tended to release their decisions towards the end of january and didn't exactly have a window to notify applicants. 

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I have been refreshing my email for the past two hours but even if emails are personalized I don’t think Wisconsin would tske this long so i guess it’s another L. I was hoping that my implied rejections could he explained away as they are private schools and maybe I would fare better with big public schools. Seems like two of the acceptances are in my field too, so the odds are not good. Right now I’m bracing for another painful year of shut-outs, but at least with Wisconsin out of the way I am not expecting to (not) hear anything until next week with BC/Vanderbilt. I can pretend not to think about apps for a few days, then!

Right there with you. The dread is real.

There are no wrong emotional responses to this process. It’s not self deprecation, it’s recognition of the exceedingly low acceptance rates of humanities programs. Dread of not being accepted is often (and definitely for me) coupled with dread of low job prospects and being not in my 20s anymore.  It’s okay to feel sad and defeated already.  Just as it’s okay to feel optimistic. We’re all in this together. We all have our own ways of processing this process.   Very happy for all who have been and will be accepted. Also standing in solidarity with those of us who are very afraid of what the next month or so holds.

17 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

o snap it ain’t mine though!! thought i’d field it here//inform the collective.

or could it be one among us?? so. tantalizing......

Hello!

Additional info. in case you/anyone else is waiting to hear from them: official letters should be rolling out toward the end of this week and the accepted students date is March 14th.

10 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

ohh, where'd you get the information from? i've always thought they simply tended to release their decisions towards the end of january and didn't exactly have a window to notify applicants. 

I found that on their website a while back and added it to my document of program notes... But of course now as I try to go back and find it, it's disappeared! I was pretty meticulous about putting the document together, so I would be surprised if I just totally spoofed on that, but it's definitely possible. I'm also having a hard time getting onto Duke's whole website at the moment, which is not at all my favorite timing. 

7 minutes ago, conraddy said:

I found that on their website a while back and added it to my document of program notes... But of course now as I try to go back and find it, it's disappeared! I was pretty meticulous about putting the document together, so I would be surprised if I just totally spoofed on that, but it's definitely possible. I'm also having a hard time getting onto Duke's whole website at the moment, which is not at all my favorite timing. 

Here you are: https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/program-statistics (scroll down to find Literature, but you're right about 7 admitted, 2 matriculated)

Duke is impressively transparent about admissions numbers which is appreciated.

29 minutes ago, conraddy said:

Right, because I recall seeing that somewhere too, but after being reminded of it by your post yesterday, I tried to confirm the details but couldn't find any mention of their intended notification window on the website. Do you think they might've removed it just because they no longer intend to notify us so early? (It's driving me a bit nuts, because I'm refreshing their results portal incessantly too.) 

23 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Here you are: https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/program-statistics (scroll down to find Literature, but you're right about 7 admitted, 2 matriculated)

Duke is impressively transparent about admissions numbers which is appreciated.

Ah, I was asking about the notification period for Duke English, but I do appreciate this link! Time for me to over-analyse statistics to guess at my chances of... not being rejected. (*screams into the void*) 

3 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

Right, because I recall seeing that somewhere too, but after being reminded of it by your post yesterday, I tried to confirm the details but couldn't find any mention of their intended notification window on the website. Do you think they might've removed it just because they no longer intend to notify us so early? (It's driving me a bit nuts, because I'm refreshing their results portal incessantly too.) 

Ah, I was asking about the notification period for Duke English, but I do appreciate this link! Time for me to over-analyse statistics to guess at my chances of... not being rejected. (*screams into the void*) 

I too recall seeing this on the website, but for some reason I remember it saying they aimed to start getting decisions out after the 20th? At any rate, I've been refreshing my email since like 4 AM lol

12 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Seems like two of the acceptances are in my field too, so the odds are not good. Right now I’m bracing for another painful year of shut-outs, but at least with Wisconsin out of the way I am not expecting to (not) hear anything until next week with BC/Vanderbilt. I can pretend not to think about apps for a few days, then!

Oh my goodness does Vanderbilt actually start notifying that early!?  Ahhhhh

42 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Oh my goodness does Vanderbilt actually start notifying that early!?  Ahhhhh

I have noted on my calendar the day on which I think admissions decisions will arrive (for those accepted and/or interviewed). So far, Emory and UW have notified on the day or even a day or two before. Chicago did so a week early. I have Vanderbilt down for exactly one week from now. I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

I too recall seeing this on the website, but for some reason I remember it saying they aimed to start getting decisions out after the 20th? At any rate, I've been refreshing my email since like 4 AM lol

it's past the 20th (and i am compulsively checking my horoscope just because...) 

1 minute ago, sugilite said:

Regarding vanishing dates on a website, it's possible that those were leftover from the previous year and they only updated it in some places and not others. You might check to see how the dates line up with last year's calendar (if it's more squarely a business week).

in that case, the published dates are a couple of days before when decisions were announced last year. 

still, it's quite unnerving to know that at any moment, you'll be hit with That Email. (for someone who works so much with derrida's l'avenir/à-venir, i really don't deal very well with uncertainty in the future to come. ?)

Even though I have all of the email addresses for the schools I applied to marked so they won’t go to my spam folder, I still end up checking my normal inbox and also my spam folder, several times an hour. Even though I’m not expecting to be notified for a week or two from my schools! Just forever waiting for That Email!

I set my phone to give me push notifications for my .edu email address — although since I'm not in school anymore, I don't use that for anything other than PhD stuff. It's been a good way to stop myself from relentlessly checking.