2019 Applicants

@mwils15 @northwestnative I just listened bc of this! Wow, I'm loving it, it feels a little more melodic and poppy than some of their old stuff. 

Has anyone else listened to Better Oblivion Community Center, the new collaboration between Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes) and Phoebe Bridgers!? I just found it this morning and I'm obsessed.

6 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

Longtime lurker, just making an account to reply to this. A professor of mine was supervised by Berlant, and this professor told me Chicago would not interview candidates they were certain they wished to accept; doing so, after all, would be a waste of resources. She said that the candidates who are interviewed are candidates which the university is "on the fence" about—candidates with, say, a lower GPA or GRE, but an interesting SOP. (Or vice versa.) Hence why, on another forum, an individual who called Chicago said something along the lines of "interviews don't indicate application standing. They're for extra questions about projects."

This is all to say: the candidates that the University of Chicago accepts are not always the candidates that are asked to interview, or who receive interviews. So, don't fret if you have not received an interview; if you have, good luck. Rejections are rejections only when they're finalized. 

While this is probably reassuring for people who didn’t get an interview, it’s also a bit disheartening for those of us who did— and it kind of unecessarily pits the two groups against one another (which I’m sure you didn’t intend to do, @jonnyboy, so certainly nothing against your person or your verbiage). I wonder if, in the spirit of your sentiment that “rejections are rejections only when they’re finalised,” if this information from your professor is constructive at the moment. I agree that “implied” rejections are also problematic, but I for one am very freaked out about my interview, so I wonder what information like this contributes to the discussion at the moment. 

No disrespect intended at all, by the way. I just want to communicate that since this is an extremely stressful time for almost all of us, in which many of us are constantly questioning our own merits as applicants, it might not be very helpful to hear this after we’ve already submitted applications and begun to hear back. I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, either. 

For what it’s worth, I think everyone on this thread brings something valuable and unique to the table, and this forum has generally been an excellent resource and support system throughout this process. 

On a completely random note, even though I acknowledge I'm feeling quite impatient right now as I didn't apply to any of the schools that notify in January, I'm also very impressed with the admissions committees who went through applications during break! Delivering interview requests and decisions just a little over a month after applications were due is impressive, especially considering it was through the holiday season. 

13 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

While this is probably reassuring for people who didn’t get an interview, it’s also a bit disheartening for those of us who did— and it kind of unecessarily pits the two groups against one another (which I’m sure you didn’t intend to do, @jonnyboy, so certainly nothing against your person or your verbiage). I wonder if, in the spirit of your sentiment that “rejections are rejections only when they’re finalised,” if this information from your professor is constructive at the moment. I agree that “implied” rejections are also problematic, but I for one am very freaked out about my interview, so I wonder what information like this contributes to the discussion at the moment. 

No disrespect intended at all, by the way. I just want to communicate that since this is an extremely stressful time for almost all of us, in which many of us are constantly questioning our own merits as applicants, it might not be very helpful to hear this after we’ve already submitted applications and begun to hear back. I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, either. 

For what it’s worth, I think everyone on this thread brings something valuable and unique to the table, and this forum has generally been an excellent resource and support system throughout this process. 

Totally did not mean to pit the two groups against one another. There has just been a lot of speculation across the boards by those who have not been contacted for interviews — and for those who were contacted, but did not receive a Skype time — and I wanted to provide information that would make these individuals feel slightly more comfortable in their application status. That, for me, is what this information contributed, and I apologize if you feel otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

Totally did not mean to pit the two groups against one another. There has just been a lot of speculation across the boards by those who have not been contacted for interviews — and for those who were contacted, but did not receive a Skype time — and I wanted to provide information that would make these individuals feel slightly more comfortable in their application status. That, for me, is what this information contributed, and I apologize if you feel otherwise. 

I don't have a dog in this fight (didn't apply to Chicago), but I imagine that the people who didn't get interviews were in fact relieved by your message, so from a utilitarian perspective, I think you made the right call.  To those who have interviews, seems like you're still incredibly close to acceptance, and maybe it's good to know that you have to push yourselves across the finish line (and not just avoid any screwups) during the interview.   Good luck to everyone!

1 minute ago, Renzo said:

I don't have a dog in this fight (didn't apply to Chicago), but I imagine that the people who didn't get interviews were in fact relieved by your message, so from a utilitarian perspective, I think you made the right call.  To those who have interviews, seems like you're still incredibly close to acceptance, and maybe it's good to know that you have to push yourselves across the finish line (and not just avoid any screwups) during the interview.   Good luck to everyone!

Bentham would be proud ❤️ 

my undergrad institution is where they keep jeremy bentham's beautiful mummified corpse on display. i still think about him wistfully sometimes - we shared a lot of good memories, him encased in his glass cabinet, me proudly showing him off to uneasy prospective students...

yea, part of the conceit of this group feels like a collectively self-acknowledged masochism...like, i’ve long ago bitten the evil apple and in that spirit would definitely want more brutalizing news rather than less.

Just now, dangermouse said:

my undergrad institution is where they keep jeremy bentham's beautiful mummified corpse on display. i still think about him wistfully sometimes - we shared a lot of good memories, him encased in his glass cabinet, me proudly showing him off to uneasy prospective students...

Lol I've heard he's required to be in the room during philosophy department meetings

1 hour ago, swarthmawr said:

To be fair, GradCafe isn't exactly the place to be reassured. It's the place we come to get any information on the programs. For most of us, much of that information is going to be disheartening. Ultimately, information is information and will be useful to some, reassuring others and unnerving for the rest. Any information any of us shares after applications have been submitted can be dangerous in this way (for instance, Warelin has made the opposite argument multiple times: that Chicago seems to only accept people from the interview list). I think we just have to hope for the best and power through. And as someone said, if this is true, this information can be helpful to someone being interviewed. For those of us with no news, this is but a green light across the bay with no real significance (and going the other way, the comment could be construed as disheartening for this camp because it gives false hope). Most of us with no news will be rejected, maybe some won't. But I don't want anyone to be discouraged any information because next cycle there will be others like us panicking over Chicago and it could help them.

3 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Any information any of us shares after applications have been submitted can be dangerous in this way (for instance, Warelin has made the opposite argument multiple times: that Chicago seems to only accept people from the interview list).

Chicago's interviewing is a fairly recent development. (2 years ago?) From scouting the boards in previous years, nobody has received an offer in those two years without being interviewed first. This information could very well change from year to year or even from professor to professor. There might be some professors who know who they want to accept while others may need more information to come to their selection. These professors are going to be spending a significant amount of time with each cohort so choosing the "best fit" can be difficult. I do think it's also important to note that The Grad Cafe is a small community. We often cannot capture all the acceptances that occur. Often, acceptances do occur over a period of 2-3 days.

Equally important (and this bears repeating over and over until you ALL remember it), you are more than an application. A rejection doesn't mean you weren't good enough. It just means that the school was incredibly competitive, tough decisions were made and they thought other people would be a "better fit". It doesn't mean you won't get in next time or that you should stop trying. 

14 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Any information any of us shares after applications have been submitted can be dangerous in this way (for instance, Warelin has made the opposite argument multiple times: that Chicago seems to only accept people from the interview list).

I think we could all use a reminder that unless we have first-hand information on the current adcomm process, pretty much everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't in any way mean this as criticism to those who share info--on the contrary, I am extremely grateful and hope people will continue letting us know of what they have heard/experienced. But unless we actually get one of the adcomm members silly drunk so that they spill the beans, all we're working on is different forms of conjecture, inference, speculation and hearsay (granted that some pieces of information seem more authoritative that others). For those interviewing, prepare well, sleep well, and be awesome! An interview can never really be bad news. At worst, they're considering you. At best, they're considering you. Go be spectacular. For those, (like me), still waiting--I don't really have any good advice. This waiting is horrific. Be strong!

Edited by beardedlady

2 hours ago, bluelight said:

@Bopie5 This is my first post here, mostly motivated by my wanting to respond to your comment on Better Oblivion Community Center. I love/am in love with Phoebe Bridgers. Already listened to the album 3 times through. Excellent Sad Mood Tunes.

!!! Omg! I'm so glad you came here to talk about this album because it is EVERYTHING. I saw Phoebe Bridgers open for The National this fall and I wasn't familiar before but IMMEDIATELY was hooked. She's a genius!

18 minutes ago, beardedlady said:

I think we could all use a reminder that unless we have first-hand information on the current adcomm process, pretty much everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't in any way mean this as criticism to those who share info--on the contrary, I am extremely grateful and hope people will continue letting us know of what they have heard/experienced. But unless we actually get one of the adcomm members silly drunk so that they spill the beans, all we're working on is different forms of conjecture, inference, speculation and hearsay (granted that some pieces of information seem more authoritative that others). For those interviewing, prepare well, sleep well, and be awesome! An interview can never really be bad news. At worst, they're considering you. At best, they're considering you. Go be spectacular. For those, (like me), still waiting--I don't really have any good advice. This waiting is horrific. Be strong!

bruh @beardedlady i was just about to say this.  like, i think we should all acknowledge the fact that none of us REALLY knows what the fuck is going on (and probably never will) - all the information is so contradictory and, in a way, trivial. even if we knew what was really true, some party would be unhappy, and some other party would be happy.  it's just a matter of swapping moods, when i think realistically, we all just want everyone to be happy.  but that can't happen.  so it might be best just to leave the issue alone.  that, or i'm probably projecting haha, because i find that i really don't care what the outcome is for pretty much this apps season.... i probably should care more, but it feels good not to be anxious.  who even am i???

Hi all,

New to actually using this thread in terms of posting, but like you guys, I've been refreshing the 2019 acceptances page nonstop. 

Anyway, for those of you who applied as English PHD applicants for Rutgers University, I've got a question about a slight change in the application portal. I noticed that my app used to say "Submitted," but now it says "No Decision" in the Admission Decision box. There's a new box that's located to the right of the AD box, entitled "Admission Response." Does this show up for everyone else? "Admission Response" is the candidate's acceptance or rejection of the university's offer of admission (googled the phrase to be sure). Do you think this is a systematic update on the portal that displays for everyone (and do any other applicants see this?) or might this signal that I have a chance of receiving an offer, being that this box newly appeared?

RU is my first choice, so maybe I'm being a little overzealous with that in mind, but was just curious as to what people think/see if they too applied to RU.

Edited by WildeingOut