2019 Applicants

18 hours ago, dangermouse said:

my undergrad institution is where they keep jeremy bentham's beautiful mummified corpse on display. i still think about him wistfully sometimes - we shared a lot of good memories, him encased in his glass cabinet, me proudly showing him off to uneasy prospective students...

I saw him at the Met Breuer last year. It was like...WE were panopticonning HIM. poetic justice.

14 hours ago, stressbot3000 said:

Anyone else had more than a few frantic conversations with telemarketers recently?

Omg same I keep picking up unknown numbers because any call could be *the call*, but the more you pick up the more they call. Ughhhh. 

does anyone else have senioritis bad? barely a quarter-way into this last semester and my brain checked out already. thinking about apps/moving/health insurance/medical issues and moving... there's not a lot of space left over and my brain didn't have much room to begin with.

on a happier note, i just had a fantastic vegan donut. probably not what my body needed after the gym but very soothing for the soul if anything.

Edited by jadeisokay

10 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

does anyone else have senioritis bad? barely a quarter-way into this last semester and my brain checked out already. thinking about apps/moving/health insurance/medical issues and moving... there's not a lot of space left over and my brain didn't have much room to begin with.

Y E S. The amount to which I've been phoning it in in my classes is extreme. In one of my classes I literally just peruse GradCafe for the entire hour. The other day I said to my housemate "I don't have any homework!" and she said "Listen. I know for a fact you do have homework. You're just not doing it!"

I graduated last spring, and now I spend time wishing I were back at school, talking theories with my classmates, doing research in the library,  and crashing my professor's office hours to pick their brains.  Haha, the grass is always greener, I guess.

I'm riding a motorcycle across the country the day school gets out. feel free to join! planning for it is therapeutic (on that note if anything particular Definitely Needs to be checked out, let me know!)

5 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

anyone read some good poem lately?

I've been digging back into the work of Czeslaw Milosz, who is a particular fave of mine. 

Also, I bought Ocean Vuong's Night Sky with Exit Wounds at a Planned Parenthood used book sale in the fall, and just now got around to reading it. It's AMAZING.

I'm also a huge fan of Chen Chen. These three are probably my favorites of his:

Poplar Street: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/58154/poplar-street

Poem in Noisy Mouthfuls: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/143242/poem-in-noisy-mouthfuls

I'm Not A Religious Person But https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/58152/im-not-a-religious-person-but

Also recommend signing up for the poets.org Poem-A-Day thing--sends one poem every morning to your email!

Edited by Bopie5

4 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@kendalldinniene oooo ever read her Ode to the Douche? It breathes new life onto anyone you then deem worthy of the term

I just watched her read it on youtube at the Crocker Museum in Sacramento, where I live!  So cool, thanks for the rec

@Bopie5 love poem a day!

Edited by kendalldinniene

3 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

I’m so jealous of the scientists rn 

Yeahhh but I am not so jealous of how most have to apply separately to work in particular labs first, and then apply to the program!