2019 Applicants

On 1/25/2019 at 2:10 PM, j.alicea said:

Yeahhh but I am not so jealous of how most have to apply separately to work in particular labs first, and then apply to the program!

Lol don't ruin my pity party with your science sympathizing and, you know, facts ? 

On 1/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, arbie said:

Anyone been like tracking most likely times to get contact? Lol 

This is some next level shit, and I respect it.

Also that new WashU acceptance made my heart stop for a second thinking it was UW, which I shouldn't hear from for like a month.

1 hour ago, arbie said:

I feel like the earliest I’ve gotten was after 10am,  I got an email at 4am once, and several in the evening/night, after standard working hours. 

I think you're one of the few of us that has this much information to track! A note on late emails--If it's a form email that automatically goes out when something is submitted in a system, then that might be why it was sent after standard working hours. At the university I work at, a lot of emails go out at after midnight when the system refreshes. 

20 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Anyone else apply to WUSTL? Seems a little too early for people to be hearing results since apps were due on 7th--or is that just me trying to rationalize away the reality of another implied rejection? 

I also applied to WUSTL (and Rice) and haven't heard from either. My mom asked if she should call to let them know how wonderful I am, but I'll leave that as a last resort.

Guys! Literally the wildest thing just happened. I’m literally tipsy at a Denny’s rn and my server is an MA student at UCSB...we get talking and turns out she knows both of my POIs and one of them is her advisor! Crazy but she said she’d put in a good word for me! 

10 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Ohhhh that's good to know! Thanks for the inside knowledge ? Do you happen to know through which medium they prefer to contact us about decisions (email, phone, portal, etc)?

I received a personalized e-mail from the DGS (no phone calls for me, but it's probably because I am an international applicant).

11 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Ohhhh that's good to know! Thanks for the inside knowledge ? Do you happen to know through which medium they prefer to contact us about decisions (email, phone, portal, etc)?

@SomeoneAcceptMe Hi, long-time lurker here! To echo what @Warelin said, I received notification yesterday afternoon via phone (I was told I would receive an official acceptance email from DGS within the next couple days). I'm also a domestic applicant. It seems like last year they notified students well into early February, so don't lose hope. Best of luck!!!

50 minutes ago, briwriteshere said:

@SomeoneAcceptMe Hi, long-time lurker here! To echo what @Warelin said, I received notification yesterday afternoon via phone (I was told I would receive an official acceptance email from DGS within the next couple days). I'm also a domestic applicant. It seems like last year they notified students well into early February, so don't lose hope. Best of luck!!!

I'll look forward to (hopefully) meeting you. I like your interests. :)

I don't know whether this is the place to say as much, but: I think I have a paper accepted to the 2019 Digital Humanities conference in Ultrecht, Nederlands! I say think because while it has yet to be officially accepted, the blind jury gave it an almost perfect score, and apparently—so says my supervisor—the score dictates participation... Very pleased, this Saturday afternoon, especially since the wait period for PhD acceptances has been brutal thus far!

50 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

I don't know whether this is the place to say as much, but: I think I have a paper accepted to the 2019 Digital Humanities conference in Ultrecht, Nederlands! I say think because while it has yet to be officially accepted, the blind jury gave it an almost perfect score, and apparently—so says my supervisor—the score dictates participation... Very pleased, this Saturday afternoon, especially since the wait period for PhD acceptances has been brutal thus far!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

6 hours ago, reluctanthumanbeing said:

I received a personalized e-mail from the DGS (no phone calls for me, but it's probably because I am an international applicant).

6 hours ago, briwriteshere said:

Welp the refresh button on my email is going to break this week lol! I saw today that I missed a call from a 314 number on Thursday, which sparks a bit of hope in me.
Congrats on the acceptances, it sounds like an amazing program ☺️

@Warelin Thanks for all of the info, Truly appreciate all of your work here. I'm skeptical that I'll get in, but good to know that not all hope is lost :)

@briwriteshere & @reluctanthumanbeing congrats on the acceptances! And thanks to you too for updating on what's what, it really helps to know what's going on.

1 minute ago, beardedlady said:

@Warelin Thanks for all of the info, Truly appreciate all of your work here. I'm skeptical that I'll get in, but good to know that not all hope is lost :)

@briwriteshere & @reluctanthumanbeing congrats on the acceptances! And thanks to you too for updating on what's what, it really helps to know what's going on.

Thanks! And fingers crossed for you!

4 hours ago, thismortalcoil said:

No way, congrats, I'm actually from Utrecht! I love the city so much and I have so many recommendations haha

Edited by FiguresIII

I stumbled across a book today called Inside Graduate Admissions by Julie Posselt. She observed the admissions process of a number of competitive programs in various disciplines. I found her original dissertation online and thought I’d share. It has been incredibly interesting, especially after being simultaneously so unaware and curious about what the admissions process actually entails. 

Here is the link to her dissertation if anyone else is interested: https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/99950/jposselt_1.pdf?sequence=1

Edited by Sav