2019 Applicants

52 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

For those of you applying to NYU (English PhD) -- I've submitted my app, since the deadline is today, but one of my letter writers has yet to submit the letter. I'm also confused because it says on the website that if the application deadline falls on a holiday or Saturday/Sunday, the deadline is the next business day. Will she technically have until Monday to submit the letter? Also concerned because while some schools have a later deadline for letter writers (for example, SUNY Buffalo), it doesn't seem like that's the case at NYU. 

Either way I'll email her but I'm wondering if anyone is having similar concerns about the Saturday deadline in general for Dec. 1st deadlines. 

In my opinion, you're totally fine. The website makes it pretty clear that all materials will be due on Monday, bc of the deadline falling on a weekend. Not sure how lenient they are beyond that, so I'm hoping my letter writers will get their letters in on Monday... I'm still waiting on two!

18 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Is anyone else applying to Northwestern? Do you think they'll be lenient on LOR like NYU?

Northwestern will mark your application as complete as long as two of your letters of recommendations are received a week after the application due date. They will add the third letter when it comes. If you know ahead of time that your letter writer will be late due to other circumstances, I'd contact the Graduate Coordinator to let him be aware of it. Nate was great at keeping up with what materials were still needed last year. :)

@Warelin Wow, that's a big relief to hear! I've been stressing--one of my letters is in, but neither of the other two has gotten them in. I think one of my letter writers will be late due to personal issues, but I hadn't thought of emailing Nate! Thanks for the advice, really helpful!

Oh my goodness I feel like I am going to throw up.  After submitting most of my applications, I realized that I put the wrong GPA on a lot of them (.033 higher than my actual GPA).  I can't believe I made such a stupid error!

Edit: I e-mailed the admissions committees of the respective schools explaining that I meant to input 3.866 instead of 3.899.  Hopefully this does not flounder my applications for said schools. 

Edited by The Wordsworthian

On Northwestern, I have received multiple emails from Nathan Mead about missing LoRs, so they are very much on top of things. If you have 2 they will proceed with the  review process. 

On NYU, last year one of my writers did not submit by the deadline and I called them and they said not to worry, that she should send it as soon as possible but the portal doesn’t have a hard close (same thing with Berkeley btw).

Edit: Hard close at the deadline, they might at a later date.

Edited by WildeThing

6 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Just submitted my first two apps! Now only five to go...I have a feeling my stress levels won't really decrease at all until I have all of my decisions haha! 

Yup, it’s funny because during the time lead up to submitting the apps I surmised that I would feel a wonderful sense of relief after finishing them.  I was painfully wrong, however, as the stress/anxiety skyrocketed once I turned in my last one.  It’s gonna be a long next couple of months! 

i'm very glad i didn't leave submitting my apps to the last minute... my bank has NOT been pleased to be hammered by so many foreign transactions and has blocked 2/4 payments so far ? if only that was a decent enough excuse to get out of paying at all...

So excited to see people who have already submitted some apps! I have officially submitted 2/8 applications, UT Austin and UCSD! I do not even want to look at my materials again in case I botched something without noticing ? I'm obviously nervous, but I'm excited to see what the next year has in store– regardless of an acceptance or a shut-out (even though I will need some TLC if this happens). I know I have put everything I could, both mentally and emotionally, into my SOP(s), Writing sample, and GREs. So hopefully that one acceptance will come! 

Also, I commend everyone applying– this shit has been/is hard! 

spent both legs of a cross-country plane ride perfecting sop for my dream school (i managed to get about ten people to look at it over the last few days) and fuck it, i sent it in. i'm on vacation (well, i'm here to tape an episode of jeopardy) and sitting in the lobby writing a paper for a class which i'm not jazzed about. 

now just the four other sops to polish and send in after i get home. 

this process has spiritually broken me, really. i'm so done.

Also, just a note for those who are new to the process. Getting shut-out sucks, and you will doubt everything about yourself as a candidate. But you survive and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I say this from very recent experiences (fingers crossed it doesn't repeat though).

2 hours ago, kgras13 said:

I admire those of you who have been through this process multiple times. If I get shut out, I'm giving up. I can't put myself through this again!

I thought the same thing and I have posts up here complaining about people’s optimism, but time does what times does.

1 hour ago, kgras13 said:

That's true, I guess you never know until you're at that point. My third letter writer is currently MIA so at this point I might not even be considered for this year's cycle anyway! Maybe this is a sign from the universe that a PhD isn't for me. 

@kgras13 You've probably already done this, but have you tried using the application's "Remind" function? Not all of them have it, but some of them have the option to send a reminder notification with a little note to your recommenders. I did that for one of my profs for the Northwestern deadline, and he ended up getting it in literally at the last possible moment. Could help maybe?

@kgras13 Ah that's so hard! I had almost the exact same scenario with one of my profs. You don't wanna stress them out or alienate them like you said, but also they literally need to get their letters in because it's your future! You could potentially contact the Graduate Coordinator at the schools you're applying to? If you already have two in, they may be able to start reviewing and add the third when it comes. Or if there's another prof you could throw a hail mary request to?

1 hour ago, kgras13 said:

@Bopie5 I used that with another prof and it worked great, but this prof hasn't responded to my check-in email I sent yesterday and I don't want to risk alienating them. :( Really unsure what to do at this point.

Hi there!  Just wanted to send along a word of encouragement that I applied successfully a few cycles ago although all of my letters of recommendation were late and one was really, really late . If they like your application and your letter is submitted by the time the committee meets, then you should still be considered.  So I would follow up again when you feel like you can without upsetting your recommender, but not stress too much about letting a few days pass.  The end of term is also always a busy time, so they may just not have gotten around to responding yet.  I'd suggest trying their office phone (or the department office and ask to leave a note with your return number) or,  if possible, stopping by in person since some profs are really bad on email.  Good luck and I hope they submit their letter soon!