Just realized on the results page (reporting my rejection) I inverted my verbal and quant scores and I’m just unreasonably embarrassed ? ? ? 

does anyone here subscribe to the enneagram? (aka my favourite of all 'personality' 'tests') my daily update feels like a pretty strong condemnation of me choosing to spend my time daydreaming about grad school rather than, you know, actually reading or engaging in research:

Remember that Fours can spend their time dreaming about their talents and the masterworks they will create instead of developing their real skills. Watch for this tendency in yourself today.

do i HAVE any real skills? it seems unlikely.

Edited by dangermouse
some of my text turned emergency red for an ominous reason...

5 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just realized on the results page (reporting my rejection) I inverted my verbal and quant scores and I’m just unreasonably embarrassed ? ? ? 

I was looking at this last night with my partner and so confused. I was like, "this English Ph.D person scored in the 99th percentile in quant and written, but like 70th in Verbal. That's weird as fuck." But then I gave it a thought and figured you'd inverted them!

Guys UChicago is closed today because of the polar vortex (feels like is -43 ?)... so I'm thinking none of us are getting congratulatory calls/emails from the Dean today. 

Frankly, all of this is giving me doubts about moving to Chicago anyway. 

5 hours ago, dangermouse said:

does anyone here subscribe to the enneagram? (aka my favourite of all 'personality' 'tests') my daily update feels like a pretty strong condemnation of me choosing to spend my time daydreaming about grad school rather than, you know, actually reading or engaging in research:

I also use the enneagram! It's my favorite personality test too. AND I'm also a Four, and have been feeling soooo called out by the EnneaThought of the day recently!

11 minutes ago, bardie said:

Guys UChicago is closed today because of the polar vortex (feels like is -43 ?)... so I'm thinking none of us are getting congratulatory calls/emails from the Dean today. 

Frankly, all of this is giving me doubts about moving to Chicago anyway. 

i've been feeling the same ever since my mentor mentioned the polar vortex after i told him about my likely rejection from chicago. im not sure if it's self-consolatory or a genuinely practical concern, but i'll take it as long as it assuages my poor, sensitive heart ?

Edited by flungoutofspace

UChicago is opening back up tomorrow, according to their website. I'm guessing we will get news Friday. 

*also jk about having doubts about Chicago. Admissions, if you're out there, I love youuuuu ?... ??*

3 minutes ago, bardie said:

UChicago is opening back up tomorrow, according to their website. I'm guessing we will get news Friday. 

*also jk about having doubts about Chicago. Admissions, if you're out there, I love youuuuu ?... ??*

lmao the idea that adcomms are on this thread looking at my memes is a god damn nightmare

2 minutes ago, bardie said:

Admissions, if you're out there, I love youuuuu ?... ??

same, and to prove our love, we are more than willing to endure -20°F temperatures... (aren't we? *glances worriedly at my very sunny, very tropical wardrobe*) 

35 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

I also use the enneagram! It's my favorite personality test too. AND I'm also a Four, and have been feeling soooo called out by the EnneaThought of the day recently!

it REALLY goes straight for the gut doesn't it! but i love waking up to a gentle neg so it really does work somehow.

in other news, villanova (who i haven't applied to nor shown any interest in) have moved on from emailing me suggestions to apply to their masters and have actually sent me a leaflet about it, all the way to england?! i do respect their commitment but my GRE wasn't THAT good haha.

Last year, certain schools sent out acceptance letters even when they were closed. Often, there are some staff and faculty members who work from home or make calls from the office despite the university being closed. Not sure how anyone feels about this, but I thought it might prove helpful to pass along what we experienced last year on this forum.

4 minutes ago, dilby said:

lmao the idea that adcomms are on this thread looking at my memes is a god damn nightmare

To the contrary, I think your memes would be a real boon to your application. Especially the one with the lab, which had me in stitches ?

Anyway it's almost insulting for me to suggest that they have the time/energy to read this forum, which they most certainly don't. 

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Last year, certain schools sent out acceptance letters even when they were closed. Often, there are some staff and faculty members who work from home or make calls from the office despite the university being closed. Not sure how anyone feels about this, but I thought it might prove helpful to pass along what we experienced last year on this forum.

@Warelin Thank you, you are always so helpful. However, now the anxiety has returned ?.

8 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

i'm not sure if anyone here's a fan of hamilton, but on the note of chicago's polar vortex... 501691354_ScreenShot2019-01-30at11_18_10PM.thumb.png.31280751b0a4200e8ca6f5887f980a7d.png

shot(s) Fired. that is brutal

Tbh the weather isn’t that crazy for Chicagoans. every year it hits at least -20 or -25 for a day or two, plus wind chill, it’ll then feel like -35, and cold day closures are inevitable. It’s definitely colder than it’s been in my time, but only bu about 15 degrees. I spoke with my mom (who is out and about because she works for BEDS; the homeless and those who can’t afford heating need our prayers or well-wishes), and she said it honestly doesn’t feel much colder than previous Winters (and many homeless will freeze, as they do every  year...) we are all kinda surprised a fifteen degree difference caught so much media attention. Not to hate on those who are missing Hamilton, but, idk, if you’re from chi you should be used to shit getting cancelled this time of year, and realize the extreme winters are literally killing people, not just plays.

that said, I love Lin, Boricua pride and all From Chirican to Nuyorican, just wanted to add that perspective after talking to the ma. 

Good luck everyone, and remember how lucky we really are.

Edited by j.alicea

And back to grad stuff, @dangermouse I am finishing a MA at Villanova now, and I know for a fact that they really don’t care about gre, and, if it were up to the department, they would do away with that requirement. Also, it’s a really nice program with tons of faculty support, tuition waiver, good stipend, and lots of interesting new hires in ethnic studies, postcolonial lit, queer theory, and gws. Pm me if anyone is interested in further info.

Edited by j.alicea

@j.alicea just noticing you got into UCSC too! Comp Lit or English? (we have common research interests!) ..also my fam is from PEI, so pretty cool that you applied there, too! pretty uncommon.