2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, placeinspace said:

There's a ton of Northwestern results up (for other programs, not English) which would lead me to believe the closure didn't impact adcomms too much at least?

I read only those first seven words and almost screamed at work before I read your parenthetical ahahah.

I have friends who aren't on gradcafe who are also going through this process. One found out last week that she got into Maryland, though not 100% sure on her program though I think it's English. Another friend just told me he heard from Boston College today with an acceptance. 

Given I haven't gotten a WUSTL email from DGS, can I add it to my pile of implied rejections (or at least implied non-acceptances if I'm lucky enough to get a spot on the wait list)?

EDIT: Also, I've seen Cambridge rejections on results board for the MPhil. Does Cambridge not send them all out at once? I know they are on a "rolling admissions" system but I heard from some people that all that means for Cambridge is that they may contact you early if your application really wows them (don't know if that's true or not).

Edited by SomeoneAcceptMe

On 1/31/2019 at 3:41 PM, kef5 said:

Do you guys think we're likely to hear from Berkeley this week? Perhaps the next?

I sure hope those UCs + Stanford get to work soon! The two I applied to are my top programs!

Is anyone else like concerned about where they'll be when they receive news on their decisions? I'm currently working weekends and am a bit concerned about getting any kind of news while I'm at my job. 

10 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

Is anyone else like concerned about where they'll be when they receive news on their decisions? I'm currently working weekends and am a bit concerned about getting any kind of news while I'm at my job. 

YES.  I have played out so many random scenarios in my mind. 

32 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

My therapist suggested I wait to open emails until I'm at home but I don't know if I can follow that advice. 

34 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

Both of the programs I have been accepted to called while I was at work. I wasn't able to answer at the moment, but seeing calls/voicemails from the cities where these schools are was amazing! I called back a few hours later in both cases. I have been trying not to open my emails at work. I am afraid that bad news might sour the rest of my day. 

35 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

I was at the vet when I found out about one program. I then had to try and have a very serious conversation with the vet who I’m sure thought something was wrong with me since I kept grinning. I was trying not to but I couldn’t help it. (the dog is okay, also)

3 hours ago, mwils15 said:

With the time zone I'm in currently, I'm most likely to get the decision emails in the middle of the night at like 2 in the morning. It is a truly terrible burden when I'm trying to get myself to fall asleep and makes for mornings filled with stress and anticipation. Might be a blessing in disguise though because during most of my day I know there's no chance that an email will come in so I don't feel the need to constantly check.

Random but does anyone have any theoretical resources on the intersections of ecocrit and postcolonial crit, specifically focusing around:

--decentralizing an anthropocentric viewpoint

--relation of ecocrit to thinking around the Great Chain of Being/Shakespeare; and/or an ecocritical reading of how people in the Neoclassical period treated personal environments like gardens and landscapes

--relation of ecocrit to persons considered socially dead (following Orlando Patterson's thinking on people considered less than human by the rest of society and therefore excluded from social structures) and whether socially dead persons become a part of the "environment" or ecosystem so to speak

--ecocritical readings of The Tempest

--or other similar thinkings???

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Random but does anyone have any theoretical resources on the intersections of ecocrit and postcolonial crit, specifically focusing around:

--relation of ecocrit to thinking around the Great Chain of Being/Shakespeare; and/or an ecocritical reading of how people in the Neoclassical period treated personal environments like gardens and landscapes

--relation of ecocrit to persons considered socially dead (following Orlando Patterson's thinking on people considered less than human by the rest of society and therefore excluded from social structures) and whether socially dead persons become a part of the "environment" or ecosystem so to speak

Monique Allewaert's "Ariel's Ecology," or at least the introduction, is a resource for an ecocrit reading of The Tempest.

5 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Maybe check Rob Nixon’s Slov Violence: Environmentalism of the Poor; great read, and he definitely cites tons of other sources that are more focussed on intersection b/t ecocrit and postcolonial lit and theory. His book is probably more concerned with transnational perspectives and trajectories, but he has been doing postcolonial theory for a while, so you’ll get some of that, too.

Edited by j.alicea