2019 Applicants

@tacocat211    composition/rhetoric person here!!! Thus far, 3 rejections (CMU, MSU, &UW-Madison--> feeling sorta bummed about this one, since it's my alma mater, and am convinced that my research interests fit well) and 1 waitlist (OSU).  

@NAL I was waitlisted at OSU as well, which is my undergraduate institution. Sort of feels like I was extended a waitlist position out of pity because I am currently working with my POIs on my undergraduate thesis lol

As a side note, I was honestly pretty excited to be waitlisted because it offers a shred of hope to cling to. Telling my parents I was waitlisted, however, was a tad weird because they consoled me without taking into consideration that this was sort of a relieving/happy moment for me. I know they’re unaware of the toll this process takes; that even the incomplete victories deserve to be celebrated. Nonetheless, it still made me pretty uncomfortable. Anyone feel this disconnect when delivering news to people?

1 hour ago, stressbot3000 said:

Why do I keep thinking schools will just magically notify me in the middle of the night on a Saturday 

same, i'm at work (11pm-7am est) and checking at 2 am on a sunday is obviously futile but i have nothing else to do, really

16 hours ago, sugilite said:

Somehow I’ve managed to only apply to schools that haven’t yet notified! Anyone else in the same boat?

Same here. I feel like I’ve been managing the anxiety fairly well given that I’ve been pretty busy at work. Now that other people are starting to hear back, my nerves are fried! I don’t feel particularly hopeful in getting an acceptance to any of the programs to which I’ve applied, but I made my peace with that in December. Legit not trolling for compliments or reassurances—I’m good with where I’m at; no worries! I just want to know for sure either way.

17 hours ago, NAL said:

@tacocat211    composition/rhetoric person here!!! Thus far, 3 rejections (CMU, MSU, &UW-Madison--> feeling sorta bummed about this one, since it's my alma mater, and am convinced that my research interests fit well) and 1 waitlist (OSU).  

ah! my people have emerged! i'm also in the MSU rejection boat (michigan is too cold for me anyway hehe), sorry to hear about your others :( I'm waitlisted at UT Austin, still waiting to hear back from Chapel Hill and Penn State.

17 hours ago, rachel11nyc said:

@tacocat211also comp/rhet here! i think we're all just smooshed into this one forum :)

i think so too! we might have to start a rhet/comp 2019 forum! i saw the 2018 one, but i noticed (or just couldn't find) that there's not a 2019 one. it seems like there's so few of us or we're getting lost amongst the lit. people!

@tacocat211 Second that! We should have a discussion thread for rhet/comp 2019 application. I'm also waiting to hear back from Penn State! (My POIs are Prof. Xiaoye You and Prof.Suresh Canagarajah , both of whom specialize in transnational literacy) 

59 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Does anyone else kinda feel like waiting to hear back is sorta like a middle school dance? Like, slowly everyone you know has someone to go to the dance with, and you're stuck not knowing what's gonna happen to you ?

??? except grad school is (better be) a helluva lot better than a middle school dance partner!

Lol although I was homeschooled and haven’t been to grad school so...this is purely speculation on my part ?

Edited by kendalldinniene

3 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Does anyone else kinda feel like waiting to hear back is sorta like a middle school dance? Like, slowly everyone you know has someone to go to the dance with, and you're stuck not knowing what's gonna happen to you ?

meanwhile, everyone else is telling you that there are still schools that you've yet to hear back from, but you're finding it harder and harder to stay optimistic... (perhaps we shall organise our own alternative prom -- a book club reading of cruel optimism, perhaps ?)

On 1/30/2019 at 3:25 AM, dangermouse said:

does anyone here subscribe to the enneagram? (aka my favourite of all 'personality' 'tests') my daily update feels like a pretty strong condemnation of me choosing to spend my time daydreaming about grad school rather than, you know, actually reading or engaging in research:

This is super late, but where do you get your daily update? Is it an app? Sounds kinda like a horoscope for your personality, which sounds so cool!

1 hour ago, arbie said:

This is super late, but where do you get your daily update? Is it an app? Sounds kinda like a horoscope for your personality, which sounds so cool!

it is VERY cool, i love all sorts of horoscope/personality test and this is by far the most obsessive.

you take the test for free here: https://www.9types.com/newtest/and then you can opt in here: https://subscriptions.enneagraminstitute.com/subscribers/create to have your daily email (warning: it might give you a heart attack each morning when you wake up to an email notification, but you quickly become accustomed to the weird time it sends the email so it's not as anxiety-inducing as you might expect!!)