2019 Applicants

10 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

edit to note that this is exactly how I sound/feel looking way back on the boards

HAHAH this has really tickled me on an otherwise v stressful day. Have never related to anything more

On 2/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, optimistic_nihilist said:

hell yeah!! what was your band's name/are you on bandcamp, or spotify or itunes?  i played in a rock band but it wasn't punk sadly lol.  still, the experience was so worth it.

i'm an english/psych double major.  psych is really interesting, but i don't know if i could handle other people's traumas without falling back into my own.  and i definitely don't like it as much as english.

That's an awesome combo, though! What did you play?

I haven't been in a band in a while, but 5 years ago I was in one called Cuddlefish Wizardry (folk/funk), and before that I was in one called Static Ego (on and off) and another called Penny and the Dreadfuls. I know one of them still does shows, but I broke up with the drummer and went to college, as it goes. ?

12 minutes ago, reluctanthuman said:

Can I start crying about Northwestern or is it too early? :(

Don't cry, even if it is too early. If they didn't accept you, it is not a reflection on you as a person or the quality of your work. It simply means that you were not a good fit for the school for a thousand different variables. Just breathe. It'll really be okay! :)

Edited by trytostay

3 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Don't cry, even if it is too early. If they didn't accept you, it is not a reflection on you as a person or the quality of your work. It simply means that you were not a good fit for the school for a thousand different variables. Just breathe. It'll really be okay! :)

I know there are many different aspects to be considered and way too many variables at play when it comes to admission decisions, but weirdly Northwestern is/was kind of the only place that I really want(ed) to be accepted. I wish I could just be okay about it; but following your words, I'll just take a breathathe now and hoping for the best. Thank you :) 

14 minutes ago, reluctanthuman said:

I know there are many different aspects to be considered and way too many variables at play when it comes to admission decisions, but weirdly Northwestern is/was kind of the only place that I really want(ed) to be accepted. I wish I could just be okay about it; but following your words, I'll just take a breathathe now and hoping for the best. Thank you :) 

This is how I felt about Chicago and it took me a couple weeks to really process and accept the feeling of rejection. I completely understand where you're coming from, and it's definitely okay to take some time and not immediately just accept it. This process is really hard because it's not just a small thing- a program is a total life change, and all the factors that go into that can be really hard to accept when you think you've found the perfect place and it doesn't work out. So don't be too hard on yourself or rush to get over it- take some time to process and know you did everything you could!

i applied to a diff northwestern program and freaked out for a sec.  apparently my program's not out yet though

@MayliC  i played synth in a glam rock band called kurt riley! not for too long though, just a yearish

@placeinspace i don't think chicago's decisions have come out yet though.  or have they?  idk i haven't checked my portals for anything but northwestern as of today.

4 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

This is how I felt about Chicago and it took me a couple weeks to really process and accept the feeling of rejection. I completely understand where you're coming from, and it's definitely okay to take some time and not immediately just accept it. This process is really hard because it's not just a small thing- a program is a total life change, and all the factors that go into that can be really hard to accept when you think you've found the perfect place and it doesn't work out. So don't be too hard on yourself or rush to get over it- take some time to process and know you did everything you could!

I was thinking that once all the applications were done, things would be so very easy but I can't even begin to describe how wrong this thought was...  Before going into this process of waiting to hear from schools I was *naively* contemplating about how only one acceptance is enough, and nothing else really matters (lol to my past self, I guess). But you are completely right and I'll just give myself some time and watch some funny cat videos on youtube to heal :) 

7 minutes ago, tacocat211 said:

anyone else not able to focus during class and instead keeps obsessively refreshing email/portals? : )

This is my existence right now. Also, I have a ton of papers to write, but every time I open Word, I feel the need to check all the things... It's going to be a long two months.

I've got an official rejection from Northwestern and Stanford to add to my collection. However, in less entirely negative and more unknown and mixed feelings territory, I got accepted to Wisconsin's Afro-American Studies MA. I applied both to the MA and English PhD as part of their Bridge program but have not heard back from the English program, so I have them as an implied rejection. I'm not sure what to make of this right now. The letter (which was dated January 25th?) made no mention of funding whatsoever, it just said that the official letter from the graduate school was pending. I've contacted them to see if I can figure out if there is funding or not, but assuming I was only accepted to the MA and not to both, I kind of assume there's none. So I'm waiting to hear back so I can figure out what I think about this.

Whoever posted the acceptance on the board, uhm, hit me up? That post said no funding, so I'd love to compare notes.

extremely disappointed about the northwestern rejection, like sink-into-the-ground-and-disappear-forever disappointed, but choosing to instead answer the call from @illcounsel for pet pics: here's my puppy, convinced that the cat must want to cuddle with her deep down (the cat does not)

IMG_4095.JPG

1 minute ago, amphilanthus said:

extremely disappointed about the northwestern rejection, like sink-into-the-ground-and-disappear-forever disappointed, but choosing to instead answer the call from @illcounsel for pet pics: here's my puppy, convinced that the cat must want to cuddle with her deep down (the cat does not)

IMG_4095.JPG

UMMMM OKKK THIS IS PRECIOUS

Genuine congrats to all the Northwestern admittances!!

*continue reading at your own risk but know the following is not meant as shade to you*

All my Northwestern rejectees, remember when it was -48 in Chicago though? Coping mechanism? Perhaps, or perhaps it was divine intervention on my behalf.