2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, jadeisokay said:

i just searched for chicago cinema/media and saw the acceptance- CONGRATS, stranger! (i'm afraid this prob means a rejection for me, but still happy for them)

I think I'll hold out for another week or so before assuming an implied rejection. Based on my research I don't have Chicago CMS down to notify until this week or next week :) good luck!

11 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Welcome! I also love Baldwin. Have you seen If Beale Street Could Talk yet?? Don't get too down--you can always give it another shot next year. I feel the exact same about my writing sample and SOP though. 

Hi @Bopie5, thanks for the encouragement!

Yes I have--I thought it was really good, but what else can you expect from Barry Jenkins. The movie's interpretation of the end of the novel was interesting. I liked Baldwin's as a reader but Jenkins' version is timely and probably speaks more personally to a lot of families who have similar stories. What'd you think of the movie?

3 hours ago, bardie said:

Thoughts on this morning's surprise Chicago acceptance? Do we think this is a multi-day rollout? Does anyone want to claim it? I need to kill the last shred of hope I have left, and am struggling. ?

Just called the dept in order to ascertain whether we all ought to call out of work and get drunk about not getting to live in Hyde Park. The girl on the phone said that decisions weren't in all cases finalized though most have left the hands of the dept. After they leave the dept they have to be approved by whoever formally grants admission. Sooo...expect more acceptances over today and tomorrow. Good news maybe? For somebody I suppose lol. 

35 minutes ago, millw said:

Yes I have--I thought it was really good, but what else can you expect from Barry Jenkins. The movie's interpretation of the end of the novel was interesting. I liked Baldwin's as a reader but Jenkins' version is timely and probably speaks more personally to a lot of families who have similar stories. What'd you think of the movie?

That's so true--I knew going in it would be lyrical and transcendent and evocative, as Jenkins always is! 

Totally agree with you about the ending. The personal feeling of the ending of the film felt, as you said, timely, and was a rare instance where a child actor was really effective and natural in his performance! I loved the colors and nonlinear nature of the film, and the score has been feeding my soul in the stressful time of waiting for decisions.

Edited by Bopie5

Feeling really upset about it being a likely no from Chicago after making it to interviews. Definitely not feeling good about my chances at Columbia now. Why must I be so awkward in interviews?! 

I’m starting to think about what the next year of my life could possibly look like: re-applying and going through this process again. If this whole ordeal has taught me anything, it’s how badly I want this. I guess that’s a silver lining! (Must. Cling. To. Silver. Linings.) 

I know I’d be beyond lucky to get in anywhere, but especially after interviewing at Columbia and Chicago, I’m feeling quite sad that they’re becoming likely rejections. 

Edited by trytostay

2 hours ago, FriendlyNeighborhoodWolf said:

alright y'all, my challenge is to not obsessively check the inbox today. thirty times per hour should be pretty reasonable. thoughts?

First thing I do the second I get out of class is turn on my phone and refresh every interface possible. 

25 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

@fortschritt22 @natalielouise My Minnesota portal status changed to "Submitted - Decided" but there is no decision when I log in. Have y'all seen something similar/different?

No change on my end. Just checked and it still says "Submitted-Awaiting Decision". Probably a good sign that they're releasing decisions soon though!

27 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

@fortschritt22 @natalielouise My Minnesota portal status changed to "Submitted - Decided" but there is no decision when I log in. Have y'all seen something similar/different?

I got a rejection about half an hour after I saw that  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oh well. Good luck to you all :)

18 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Feeling really upset about it being a likely no from Chicago after making it to interviews. Definitely not feeling good about my chances at Columbia now. Why must I be so awkward in interviews?! 

I’m starting to think about what the next year of my life could possibly look like: re-applying and going through this process again. If this whole ordeal has taught me anything, it’s how badly I want this. I guess that’s a silver lining! (Must. Cling. To. Silver. Linings.) 

I know I’d be beyond lucky to get in anywhere, but especially after interviewing at Columbia and Chicago, I’m feeling quite sad that they’re becoming likely rejections. 

Like I said awhile ago...I called the dept at chicago awhile ago. Most of their acceptances have not yet been given out according to the woman on the phone. All "dept recommendations" have left the dept, but very few have thus far been formally admitted. 

As in...if you interviewed, there's still a good bit of hope. 

22 minutes ago, trytostay said:

I’m feeling quite sad that they’re becoming likely rejections.

@trytostay Try not to let yourself catastrophize! You really have no reason to think that Columbia is a likely rejection--you only have reason to think they're very interested in you. Many people on here have interviews they feel terrible about and then get admitted. You are obviously a kick-ass applicant!

1 minute ago, placeinspace said:

Does anyone (maybe @Warelin) have any insight into how big the Davis cohorts normally are?

A buddy of mine was accepted into Davis's Ph.D. about 3 years ago now. He posts pics of his cohort all the time. There's about 7 or 8 of em I think. 

1 minute ago, Fedallah said:

Just called the dept in order to ascertain whether we all ought to call out of work and get drunk about not getting to live in Hyde Park. The girl on the phone said that decisions weren't in all cases finalized though most have left the hands of the dept. After they leave the dept they have to be approved by whoever formally grants admission. Sooo...expect more acceptances over today and tomorrow. Good news maybe? For somebody I suppose lol. 

Oh my god ? Rife with anxiety.

15 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

I check my emails and interfaces in class hahaha!

haha I'm sitting at work right now, on grad cafe, checking my portals every few minutes, checking the results page, posting here... in an office I share with two of my superiors, just kinda hoping they keep their backs turned. my standards for basic decency slide lower every day of waiting.

THANK YOU @Fedallah @sad_diamond !! I appreciate that kick in the butt. I’ve been trying to spread positivity around these forums since everyone seems so anxious. Thanks for reminding me that it’s far from over and that I have a lot to be proud of.