2019 Applicants

2 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Has anyone else literally heard nothing from the schools they applied to?  Although a few of my schools have started notifying, it's complete radio silence on my end.  I just want the silence to be broken so I can breathe!

Same! None of my schools have started notifying, no interview requests, zip. I was starting to think I'd done something wrong even though I know it's pure coincidence! 

Just got the email that my daughter was accepted to University of Illinois Ischool. 

It is exciting because it looks like such an amazing program, but really expensive. 

I’m still hoping for a fully-funded PhD program because we have another daughter finishing her undergrad degree and 2 more still at home so it would be great to have a little break from tuition. 

In the end, she would like to get both an English PhD and a Library Information masters, so this is great news and in the end, all of her options are good ones. 

14 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Has anyone else literally heard nothing from the schools they applied to?  Although a few of my schools have started notifying, it's complete radio silence on my end.  I just want the silence to be broken so I can breathe!

12 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Same! None of my schools have started notifying, no interview requests, zip. I was starting to think I'd done something wrong even though I know it's pure coincidence! 

Three of my programs haven't said a peep either. My #1 had a late deadline (january 15) so I'm expecting a later notification and my heart may give out.

second call to the umass amherst acceptances! i'm dying to know your concentrations? i check my umass portal..oh, about 100 times a day. Been "under review" for a few days and am absolutely dying. I guess I'll know when I know! 

Trying to figure out how there have been acceptances and waitlists for Wisconsin for a while, now there seems to be some rejections, yet nothing on my end. Have I made the magical waitlist waitlist?

UCLA English admission statistics: https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/humanities/english/#program-statistics

There are already *4 out of what is approximately 24 on the board, so seems like a possible rejection :( At least we will know for sure soon; based on past UCLA English results, they actually send out rejections about a week after. 

Congrats to all the happy acceptances!!!

Edited by sugilite
Saw new result

2 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

That feeling when you accidentally copy and paste your email in the results forum... @Warelin can an admin remove?  

Is today over yet?

Unfortunately, not something I have access to. If you report it though, an admin can take care of it. Alternatively, I think using the contact us forum and explaining the issue will also result in fast action. :)

Officially a rejection from Chicago. My POI emailed me with a very kind note. I figured this was coming, but it still stings. I’m not sure if others have been rejected after an interview at Chicago, but it’s hard to not take it personally. 

I’m not planning on the rest of this cycle going well. Blargh. 

On 2/5/2019 at 3:10 PM, jadeisokay said:

i work at a hotel and hate it with all my heart, so plan is to move and do anything else for a year.

you a night auditor? i went through an application cycle as a night auditor at a hotel. 

2 hours ago, latecalifornia said:

you a night auditor? i went through an application cycle as a night auditor at a hotel. 

yep! when i'm not haunting here or facebook, i'm over at /r/talesofthefrontdesk roasting folks. er, i mean, kissing the royal behinds of our most honored guests because making them happy makes me happy. 

1 hour ago, flungoutofspace said:

When one of your POIs at Chicago is, in fact, Deborah Nelson and you're not quite sure whether to be pleased at her very complimentary email... rejecting you from the program to which you applied. ?

yeah, daniel morgan from cinema wrote mine. i named robert bird as my main poi. i got the referral to maph, though, i guess. 

congrats to everyone getting acceptances and waitlists, btw. super excited for everyone!

Edited by jadeisokay

With another rejection, I’ve made my peace with this cycle. I have a few more programs to hear back from, so it’s not a shut out yet, but I’ve learned a lot this cycle. I think ultimately I just didn’t apply to the best programs *for me*. I’m going to do a better job next cycle on diversifying my applications to programs that are a better fit, and so much of the conversation here has helped me realize that not getting in isn’t the end of the world. It just means not yet.

Thanks so much, you guys, for maintaining a positive environment for everyone. I get so excited for those of you I’ve seen while lurking this past year when you get into programs you’re stoked for. Congratulations!