2019 Applicants

2 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

It’s my birthday today. I was supposed to go to SF with my bestie but she bailed last minute so I’m going to just stay in bed refreshing this page and my portals, the way birthdays were meant to be spent. 

Happy birthday! SF Is literal garbage today, don't be sad you're not here. I would definitely be refreshing the portals elsewhere if I didn't have to trudge through the rain into work.

What are we thinking on UCSB/UCSC? Like think they've probably notified who they will and we are all just waiting on our rejections or think some stuff is still rolling out. I wish everyone did it like Michigan....

5 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

What are we thinking on UCSB/UCSC? Like think they've probably notified who they will and we are all just waiting on our rejections or think some stuff is still rolling out. I wish everyone did it like Michigan....

I'm wondering if UCSC is done, but it looks like they randomly spread out their acceptances over Jan/Feb. There hasn't been anything since January, though. 

12 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

Same.  I know it was always highly unlikely but I really wanted UCSB...would prefer to just have that band aid ripped off right now, please.

Edited by kendalldinniene
I can't spell "to", apparently. Is this why I can't get into a PhD program?

On 2/12/2019 at 4:49 AM, Ranmaag said:

Has anyone here had dreams about applying to grad school/decisions so far?

Wanted to ask cause I've had way too many this cycle :unsure: I haven't had nightly admission season dreams yet (thank god) but they were... vivid enough that I remember a few O_O I'll try to go through them in sequential order and describe what happens (there is no context to what happened, they just... did lol)

1st dream: My Cornell application got referred to another department somehow and I also found out that UCSB rejected me (I did not apply to UCSB this cycle and from what I remember... dream UCSB basically said my SoP was awful). I also found out about some site where apparently... there was some sort of application tracker/genie that gauged our chances? Surely enough, that site was predicting 'low chance of acceptance everywhere' (I saw an awful lot of red) and I remember being devastated when I saw that I was looking unlikely for my top choice.

2nd dream: Imagine if schools combined the real-time updates of the results board and also listed (publicly too) the names of their accepted students as they came up. This was a school with red colors (my mind flip-flopped between Madison and Cornell after I woke up, didn't apply to Madison this cycle) so I remember frantically refreshing the page and seeing these names pop up. Eventually, my name did not so the school was an automatic rejection then and there. This dream was also a world where the feedback for rejected applications came almost instantly. So I clicked on my portal and found some... scathing notes on both my app but also poetry I wrote being ripped apart O_O

3rd dream: Nothing weird really happened except I was living a normal adult life and I owned a house... and then right at the end of the dream I got an e-mail with a form rejection letter from UC Irvine. (this happened the night before I got an e-mail requesting a phone conversation that turned into the unofficial acceptance)

4th dream: this one was basically even more blatant O_O I dreamt that I got rejected from Cornell via ApplyWeb and that I also got rejected from Buffalo from their portal.

So far... that's all the admission-related dreams I've had.

I dreamt I was accepted into my first choice, was super happy throughout the dream and it felt very real; only to wake up, check my email and be disappointed as there was nothing.. nothing at all

1 minute ago, ana21 said:

I dreamt I was accepted into my first choice, was super happy throughout the dream and it felt very real; only to wake up, check my email and be disappointed as there was nothing.. nothing at all

Last year after being shut out I kept having dreams that I'd applied to some east coast school and completely forgotten about it until they emailed the first day of class asking where I was...

4 minutes ago, ana21 said:

Last week I had a dream that I retook the GRE and got much better scores. I woke up and thought "No I retook the GRE and got only slightly better scores!" and went back to sleep. The next day I remembered that I've only taken it once. We're deep into constructing new realities to process the ambiguity of this process. 

Panicking about these CUNY acceptances that went up at the same time-- anyone willing to claim? Wondering if it is a duplicate (the person added their stats) or two simultaneous accepts (suggesting I am not getting an acceptance letter). 

Congrats to whoever it is!

13 minutes ago, bardie said:

Panicking about these CUNY acceptances that went up at the same time-- anyone willing to claim? Wondering if it is a duplicate (the person added their stats) or two simultaneous accepts (suggesting I am not getting an acceptance letter). 

I'm sorry to say that it wasn't a fluke! One of them was me, and I don't know who the other one is. I will say that the email was somewhat long and very personalized, so I'm sure that not all acceptances are going out at the same time.

4 minutes ago, 3131 said:

I'm sorry to say that it wasn't a fluke! One of them was me, and I don't know who the other one is. I will say that the email was somewhat long and very personalized, so I'm sure that not all acceptances are going out at the same time.

Thank you for the info and congrats!! How does it rank among your choices?

? Happy for you.

6 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

I just received a personalized email from my POI there about my acceptance to the program. It's very sweet and she talks about my work and meeting with her during the visit weekend (that I was not formally invited to). How do I respond to this? Should I let her know I'm only on the waitlist?

It sounds like your POI may know that your waitlist may have converted to an acceptance prior to you receiving your official letter. I'd give it a day or two to see if you get an official acceptance. If you don't get an official response, I'd call the department to inquire about your status. I think this sounds like very promising news though! 

I know this may be silly, but does anyone know where application money goes? When I pay $50-125 to apply, does this money go to the university in general, the department, the ad-com???

Edited by illcounsel

2 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

I know this may be silly, but does anyone know where application money goes? When I pay $50-125 to apply, does this money go to the university in general, the department, the ad-com???

I like to think UCLA burned my $105 bill by bill while eating tacos and laughing at some error I didn't notice in my writing sample.  But I'm dramatic...

1 hour ago, bardie said:

To add to this conversation, it looks as though CUNY sent out acceptances over 2-3 days last year. Hopefully it'll be the same case this year!

56 minutes ago, sidmeier said:

anyone have an idea about how much movement there usually is on maryland's waitlist?

Hi! UMD alum here. I can't offer any specifics, but I messaged on of my LOR writers about getting waitlisted at Indiana and they said that UMD accepted "several" students from its waitlist last year. Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

Edited by mwils15

6 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I like to think UCLA burned my $105 bill by bill while eating tacos and laughing at some error I didn't notice in my writing sample.  But I'm dramatic...

And I am over here thinking that Santa Barbara used my $105 on surf-board wax...

54 minutes ago, bardie said:

Thank you for the info and congrats!! How does it rank among your choices?

? Happy for you.

I'm sorry for being so reticent, but I am making it a policy to reveal as little personal/subjective info on here as possible, as it's been made known to me that some profs actually do lurk here, and after all this effort I would really love not to fuck it up lol. All I will say is that I am enthusiastic!

Edited by 3131

3 minutes ago, 3131 said:

I'm sorry for being so reticent, but I am making it a policy to reveal as little personal/subjective info on here as possible, as it's been made known to me that some profs actually do lurk here, and after all this effort I would really love not to fuck it up lol. All I will say is that I am enthusiastic!

No worries. That is odd though-- do they try and find out where student's allegiances lie?

11 minutes ago, bardie said:

No worries. That is odd though-- do they try and find out where student's allegiances lie?

I have no idea. If I were to guess, though, it's probably motivated by boredom or a sort of passive curiosity, not by an actual desire to scope out info on applicants. But you can never be too careful! (At least with the investment I've put into this.)

23 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I wrote "enganglement" in my Stanford SoP. I'm sure they had a good laugh while throwing my application in the rejection dumpster. Seriously though, I had a typo in my Chicago SoP, and it didn't seem to matter at all; mistakes happen. Still, "enganglement" ??????

3 minutes ago, 3131 said:

I have no idea. If I were to guess, though, it's probably motivated by boredom or a sort of passive curiosity, not by an actual desire to scope out info on applicants. But you can never be too careful! (At least with the investment I've put into this.)

?