2019 Applicants

55 minutes ago, tacocat211 said:

anyone want to claim the Chapel Hill waitlist on the board and perhaps provide more info on the email?

Not the one on the board but I’m on the waitlist as well. Had a personalized note from the DGS, followed by a standard issue letter about the waitlist. It sounds as though the waitlist is relatively small and the email continued on to invite us to their open house and tell us more about the program and Chapel Hill. Hope that helps! 

I just called UVA to ask if they had sent out all acceptance and waitlist notifications and they did.  Wish some of these schools would be more proactive about rejection notifications rather than stringing us along, especially considering how much $ it costs to apply. 

Just now, The Wordsworthian said:

I just called UVA to ask if they had sent out all acceptance and waitlist notifications and they did.  Wish some of these schools would be more proactive about rejection notifications rather than stringing us along, especially considering how much $ it costs to apply. 

thank you for making the call and sharing this info! so helpful to know for sure. agreed - the very little effort it would take for schools to send timely rejections would make such a huge difference for applicants sitting in limbo. and yet...

1 minute ago, amphilanthus said:

thank you for making the call and sharing this info! so helpful to know for sure. agreed - the very little effort it would take for schools to send timely rejections would make such a huge difference for applicants sitting in limbo. and yet...

Of course!  It really is quite disappointing.  Hopefully someone from their program reads this and takes notes for next season. 

35 minutes ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Not the one on the board but I’m on the waitlist as well. Had a personalized note from the DGS, followed by a standard issue letter about the waitlist. It sounds as though the waitlist is relatively small and the email continued on to invite us to their open house and tell us more about the program and Chapel Hill. Hope that helps! 

oof i wonder if they’ve sent everything out already? i haven’t heard anything

6 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

Does Columbia not also do as Chicago does and refer some of their applicants to their MA program? Perhaps that's why rejections are staggered.

I'm hoping this is the case--I have also heard nothing from Columbia and applied directly to the PhD, not the MA. I'm in the same boat with Boston College.

Anyone else just waiting around for schools to get back to them so they can get on with making a decision? So looking forward to being out of this limbo and planning the future. At least I had a snow day from work today and could take Ursula on a nice hike: 

Ursula.jpg

2 hours ago, placeinspace said:

@The Wordsworthian I agree with this so much. I've called Davis twice now trying to get a rejection but no one seems to be answering their phone. 

i called and got through - the number on the website isn't actually for the grad program. she said acceptances are rolling out still, could be as late as april 15th. i'd take that to mean they may have sent out most acceptances but not waitlists? :) 

@victoriansimpkins I was interviewed maybe two weeks ago, and was notified that I was on the waitlist yesterday. The professor that interviewed me made a point to say that there’s usually a fair amount of movement on waitlists. I wouldn’t take it as a rejection, it sounded like they were still making decisions and doing interviews. I also got the sense that they may schedule interviews according to research interest - the interviewer pointed out that she was interviewing other candidates interested in Latina/o and Caribbean studies.

for those asking about Davis, I imagine they have a waitlist, but They may not reach out to you until you move off of the waitlist.

good luck everyone!

4 hours ago, Ranmaag said:

20th and 21st century Americanist on my end, specializing in poetry and queer theory. Not sure about the competitiveness surrounding poetry but I imagine queer theory being very packed. Doing ok for myself though so far, 1 acceptance and 1 waitlist.

Hoping you get in somewhere on your end, fingers (and every possible appendage) crossed

Ngl I'm wishing this cycle would come to a close. My heart's basically set on matriculating to my one acceptance (and I'm already life planning just to distract myself from my e-mail lol. I haven't even gotten any link to register yet and I'm already looking at graduate housing options and beginning to figure out what I can and can't do with my fellowship). I just want to be free from this limbo state so life can move forward and I don't have to obsess over e-mail and my phone (and to finally get some real sleep).

Thanks!!  Crossing my appendages for you, too.  I'm not interested in queer theory per my application, but i'm interested in gender studies, which is pretty close.  I'm guessing both are pretty popular...

@everyone

Also, does anyone know if schools hold off on notifying waitlisted people unless they're off the waitlist and just plain accepted?  (and for those who aren't accepted, just give them a later rejection?)  does that even make sense, idk. Just curious.

9 minutes ago, optimistic_nihilist said:

Also, does anyone know if schools hold off on notifying waitlisted people unless they're off the waitlist and just plain accepted?  (and for those who aren't accepted, just give them a later rejection?)  does that even make sense, idk. Just curious.

yeah, some do this - see @j.alicea's post above. secret waitlists are real and nerve-wracking. 

Some programs have invisible waitlists, yes. 

Meanwhile, with Virginia, I am now awaiting formal rejection from yet another program that I know is rejecting me. I really don’t understand this phenomenon. Last year whenever I saw rejections on the board I would check my email and immediately find the notice there. I would think I’m waitlisted if waitlists hadn’t been sent already. 

Just now, WildeThing said:

Some programs have invisible waitlists, yes. 

Meanwhile, with Virginia, I am now awaiting formal rejection from yet another program that I know is rejecting me. I really don’t understand this phenomenon. Last year whenever I saw rejections on the board I would check my email and immediately find the notice there. I would think I’m waitlisted if waitlists hadn’t been sent already. 

yes! was just about to post something like this. super frustrating to watch virginia rejections show up slooowly and wait for one to hit my email/portal. really grateful for all timely notifications. 

Received some really warm and upbeat emails today from SMU, and from Loyola about the likelihood of movement on the waitlist in the next couple of months. It’s really a nice feeling to hear positive things at all during this process!

19 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Received some really warm and upbeat emails today from SMU, and from Loyola about the likelihood of movement on the waitlist in the next couple of months. It’s really a nice feeling to hear positive things at all during this process!

Yes!!! So happy for you :)

4 minutes ago, awildsheep said:

I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't heard back from ANY of the schools I've applied to?? Should I be assuming that these are all going to be rejections....

have you checked the admission results? if you search the name of the school plus "english," you should get be able to get a sense of when those schools notify based on the data from previous years.

4 minutes ago, awildsheep said:

I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't heard back from ANY of the schools I've applied to?? Should I be assuming that these are all going to be rejections....

Hm, that does seem a bit odd. Have waitlist/acceptance/rejections been posted for any of the schools you applied to?

8 minutes ago, awildsheep said:

I’m in the same boat. Everyday is a struggle. I only applied to 4 schools (not the brightest idea, but I did research the hell out of their programs). Keep the faith! It’s not over until we get an actual answer from the school! 

@Englishandteamakesahappyme & @awildsheep same here! I applied to 11 programs and have only had one formal notification, which was a rejection. Aside from that one rejection, I've heard nothing. While I can say that some of them must be IR's, it really is strange to have the radio silence. I should note that 3 of my programs have yet to send out any notifications of any kind, but still.

Edited by WildeingOut

@WildeingOut I know exactly how you’re feeling. I’m still waiting on Brandeis, for example. They started with rejections earlier this month, then today was a batch of waitlists. So I don’t know what to assume or think at this point. The notifications seem somewhat arbitrary, especially in comparison to past cycles. Maybe we all gave them a good run for their money this year! 

59 minutes ago, awildsheep said:

I also have not heard back from any programs yet! : / I see that some Columbia rejections have gone out, so not sure if continued radio silence represents a glimmer of hope for that program.