2019 Applicants

9 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

My application for UNL legit showed progress as being two steps before departmental review up until a couple days ago, even though I got notified of my acceptance by the DGS weeks ago ?

You don’t know until you know, haha. 

I endorse the bottom part heavily tbh.

I've yet to get an application update via portal by any university. All of my correspondence has been primarily via e-mail so far (which is what helped me from doing the hourly status portal check). For one case, Buffalo has never updated my portal except for a 'Under Committee Review - 12/27/2018,' and I've since been waitlisted by them via e-mail. And iirc... UCLA posts their rejection letters in a portal that is definitely not Slate.

Kinda left with the impression that our admission portals are really just places where the department can just gleam info from, but otherwise they don't really play a big part in the admissions process in terms of info tracking. The DGS just needs a place where they can collect and distribute the info easily.

(Also as I write this, just got rejected from University of Washington. Will post my result soon, just need something witty)

EDIT: just checked my portal there too, got updated. there goes working with Brian Reed :( as sad as I am, I'm relieved at the same time. It's truly come to a close, and my Fall 2019 plans are now more in focus.

Edited by Ranmaag

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

My application for UNL legit showed progress as being two steps before departmental review up until a couple days ago, even though I got notified of my acceptance by the DGS weeks ago ?

You don’t know until you know, haha.

Goodness, what a crazy process this is! I still have some hope left in me, but it’s fading fast. Just about 7 more days left in what is supposedly “the big month.” I’d like to hear anything at this point. 

Congrats on your acceptance! Also sorry about the UW rejection. 

1 minute ago, breemartini said:

Today I was rejected by Columbia (email to check portal), waitlisted at CUNY (a nice email with an invitation to an open house mid-March), and accepted to University of Washington with funding! I'm overwhelmed :,)

Also, admitted at University of Washington. Congrats! Can I ask what your area of interest is?

6 minutes ago, optimistic_nihilist said:

ok hold on tea is way better i can't stomach coffee

I just like tea. Always have. Too much caffeine gives me heart palpatations and keeps me up all night. Two things I don’t need more of right now. 

Besides, I have certain teas for certain times. Black tea in the morning, green tea for the afternoon pick-me-up, cinnamon tea as my “snack tea,” and chamomile to calm me down at night. I do have others in the rotation, but this pretty much sums up my basic tea-infused (get it?) day. 

Thanks so much to all for sharing your experiences with the portal! I think the theory about them not being updated until much later is spot-on. 

On the results board, I'd come across a lot of people who mentioned they got an email to check the portal for their UPenn notification (all of them, including acceptances, waitlists, and rejections) last year, so I wanted to see if I could find a rejection yet. Alas, no such luck, so I'll be trudging along...

1 hour ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

With the sudden UW result I'm solidly a shut out this year. Best of luck to everyone still in the process! 

Sorry Cardigan, but I know you have great things ahead of you, within the academy and without.

@optimistic_nihilist I didn’t personally pick a fave beverage for a name because a) I didn’t get that anonymity memo but also b) it’s hard to tell a bunch of internet strangers just how much you like bourbon ?

8 hours ago, stressbot3000 said:

I’m at work but will someone pls call UVA and ask what’s going on? I will be forever grateful  

Yeah I called them yesterday and they said they had already notified all those who were accepted and waitlisted, unfortunately. 

I saw that a bunch of people checked their CUNY portal and received a rejection. I opened my portal and my application wasn't there! And it said to start a new application? Am I looking in the wrong place/has this happened to anyone else? 

9 hours ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

With the sudden UW result I'm solidly a shut out this year. Best of luck to everyone still in the process! 

Sorry @CaffeineCardigan! I was shut out last year but learned so much in the process! I hope you did and will try again next year if you’re not too busy on that land!

For what it’s worth I’ve been Googling plots of land all week b/c of our convo last week! 

Good luck with everything!

10 hours ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

Bummer, dude. Will we see you next year? I'll be here; we can commiserate/cooperate in app dominate(ion), if you'd like!