2019 Applicants

21 minutes ago, spatial_person said:

embarrassed to say I called Yale GSAS.............

"Are applications for the English Department still under review?"

"Yes"

See guys? Yale procrastinates, too. Stars: they’re just like us! 

Edited by trytostay

Is there anyone here who can give an update on Northeastern? They sent out some rejections and a few interview/campus visits, but no acceptances yet (at least on the board). Does anyone know when these campus visits take place? Meanwhile, I haven't received any word. Any insight is appreciated!  

I was keeping my cool really well for the past three days and now I am too hyped. I need these three final results please!!

I have started writing research proposals for three programs/projects in the UK and Norway and am having trouble throwing my heart into that without knowing for sure.... AHHHHHH! 

I'm unfortunately unable to attend the scheduled visit dates for UW as I have a previously planned trip during that time.  Are schools accommodating with visiting during times other than the scheduled days due to conflict / do you think they will be flexible with the travel grant if I fly out on a different day?

Any advice or intel in this arena is much appreciated!

2 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I'm unfortunately unable to attend the scheduled visit dates for UW as I have a previously planned trip during that time.  Are schools accommodating with visiting during times other than the scheduled days due to conflict / do you think they will be flexible with the travel grant if I fly out on a different day?

Any advice or intel in this arena is much appreciated!

Yes! Been lucky enough to get some invites and have been unable to make a few of them because of prior commitments. When I explained this to the different programs, all of them were extremely accommodating and put me in touch with whoever is in charge of scheduling. As far as travel grants go, I think that's mostly on a school-by-school basis (a couple have clearly stated that they do not offer travel reimbursements though they take care of accommodations and vice versa). 

I would definitely make sure to emphasize how much you want to go to these visits, but because of a prior commitment, you will be unable to do so. You would however, love to visit and learn more about the program at a later date if that is at all possible...etc.

Hope that helps @The Wordsworthian !

2 hours ago, Englishandteamakesahappyme said:

Is there anyone here who can give an update on Northeastern? They sent out some rejections and a few interview/campus visits, but no acceptances yet (at least on the board). Does anyone know when these campus visits take place? Meanwhile, I haven't received any word. Any insight is appreciated!  

Ugh I was a rejection :( just an email to check portal. Maybe they send out acceptances all at once after they interview? Seems like there is hope for you at least!

Just now, rr732 said:

Ugh I was a rejection :( just an email to check portal. Maybe they send out acceptances all at once after they interview? Seems like there is hope for you at least!

Thanks for the reply. I suppose there’s a bit of hope. My portal still says “under committee review.”

Just now, Anonymouse124 said:

Yes! Been lucky enough to get some invites and have been unable to make a few of them because of prior commitments. When I explained this to the different programs, all of them were extremely accommodating and put me in touch with whoever is in charge of scheduling. As far as travel grants go, I think that's mostly on a school-by-school basis (a couple have clearly stated that they do not offer travel reimbursements though they take care of accommodations and vice versa). 

I would definitely make sure to emphasize how much you want to go to these visits, but because of a prior commitment, you will be unable to do so. You would however, love to visit and learn more about the program at a later date if that is at all possible...etc.

Yes, definitely agree with this. Two of my offer letters explicitly mentioned that if we couldn't make the visit date that they would try to make alternate arrangements. 

5 hours ago, LurkersGonnaLurk said:

Sorry @CaffeineCardigan! I was shut out last year but learned so much in the process! I hope you did and will try again next year if you’re not too busy on that land!

For what it’s worth I’ve been Googling plots of land all week b/c of our convo last week! 

Good luck with everything!

Thank you! I have learned a good bit. I think trying next year when I'm not trying to finish my MA will let me have a much stronger application! 

I'm still really into the land idea! I'm stoked if more people start looking into it. Maybe I'll just start a humanities commune somewhere instead of reapplying! 

5 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

Bummer, dude. Will we see you next year? I'll be here; we can commiserate/cooperate in app dominate(ion), if you'd like! 

I think so! I'm still processing it and making a plan, but I know a PhD is what I want to do, so I'll likely be back! 

50 minutes ago, arbie said:

@rr732 @Englishandteamakesahappyme My friend told me they received an acceptance email from Northeastern today. 

That’s awesome! Still nothing for me, though. Maybe they send acceptances randomly over a few days. Not much info from previous years either. 

Just now, Englishandteamakesahappyme said:

That’s awesome! Still nothing for me, though. Maybe they send acceptances randomly over a few days. Not much info from previous years either. 

I’m not actually sure. The letter seemed to come from the university and not the department, so idk how that factors in. 

1 minute ago, amphilanthus said:

:( same. wish they’d rip the bandage off. 

Tbh I’m annoyed now. Also realized I didn’t ask to not be admitted to the MA so that could be the situation? But if I’ve learned anything over the past month it’s that I actually have no idea what’s going on and should stop guessing. 

Just now, stressbot3000 said:

Tbh I’m annoyed now. Also realized I didn’t ask to not be admitted to the MA so that could be the situation? But if I’ve learned anything over the past month it’s that I actually have no idea what’s going on and should stop guessing. 

hm, i don’t remember what i said about the MA! i thought i asked not to be considered most places, but this weird silence does make me wonder if it’s something to do with that. feels like they sent out some of their rejections and then just kinda shrugged halfway through and went off to do something else. super frustrating!

Random question, maybe @Warelin would have some insight. Does anyone know how much age and professional experience matter in the PhD application process? For instance, would someone who's 23/24 be considered 'too young' for a program? Is professional experience (aside from TA'ing) necessary for PhD programs?

1 minute ago, WildeingOut said:

Random question, maybe @Warelin would have some insight. Does anyone know how much age and professional experience matter in the PhD application process? For instance, would someone who's 23/24 be considered 'too young' for a program? Is professional experience (aside from TA'ing) necessary for PhD programs?

I know plenty of people who went straight from undergrad into PhD programs, so I don't think that's the  case at all. 

4 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

I agree with sugilite. I'm coming out of undergrad and while I haven't been accepted outright to a PhD program yet, I was waitlisted at BU. 

5 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

My cohort is mixed. Half of us have MA degrees; half of us only have a Bachelor's degree. I don't think 23/24 is considered 'too young' for a program. I don't think TA'ing or adjuncting count much for PhD programs. It might be a nice 'bonus' but I don't think it'll make a difference to whether or not a program accepts you. Fit is still and will likely always be king when there are so many well qualified applicants applying.