2019 Applicants

2 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

@stressbot3000 ooh let me know if you hear anything back from the department! the situation just makes no sense to me... if every type of notification has gone out, they know our status - so why no update?

I’m hanging on to a sad little hope that we are late waitlist admits or that they are trying to secure funding for us! But I also know that this is very very unlikely lol. I wish they would just end my suffering already! 

3 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

@stressbot3000 ooh let me know if you hear anything back from the department! the situation just makes no sense to me... if every type of notification has gone out, they know our status - so why no update?

Just wanted to register with both of you two as another member of the UVA mystery gang. I would have assumed it was an invisible waitlist if somebody hadn’t already said they called UVA and been informed that they had notified everyone on the waitlist....on the other hand, there are no UVA waitlists on the board, so who knows what delightful game they are playing. 

6 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

I’m hanging on to a sad little hope that we are late waitlist admits or that they are trying to secure funding for us! But I also know that this is very very unlikely lol. I wish they would just end my suffering already! 

i like your theories! i’m feeling so pessimistic that i’ve decided they just forgot i existed.

@Rootbound @amphilanthus

When I talked to the receptionist at the general grad admissions office and explained the situation, he guessed that they were still “processing my application”

i know we have intel saying otherwise, and that he doesn’t know the specifics of the department, but I feel like it’s the only concrete lead we have to go on. they could have decided on the waitlist and not ordered it, you know? I do think it’s suspicious that we haven’t seen any waitlists on the board bc every year many get posted!

editing to say that you should take all this with a grain of salt bc I am an optimist to a fault and I always get burned 

Edited by stressbot3000

@stressbot3000 interesting! it is weird that there haven’t been any waitlists posted and there usually are - but then again, like you mentioned, we do have intel saying otherwise... maybe we’re just the backup backup waitlist, haha. like their very last choices. i’m feeling pretty negative about it, but i’m a pessimist to a fault so at least we can balance each other out as we wait here in UVA purgatory. 

24 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

@amphilanthus

Yes I am happy we are here to reality check each other! what a wild ride this is. I'm really happy with the program I've been accepted to, but I would love to have had a choice/some funding leverage...

yes! same boat! weird mix of super happy with my acceptance and a lot of complicated feelings around everything else, especially the sense of choice. glad to at least not be alone in the experience!

5 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Can Rutgers and Yale just reject me already so I can be done with this stupid process (except I’ll also be waiting for Columbia until April 15th at 4:55pm)

Rutgers really has me in a state of constant panic. Just let me know either way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, tcatherine said:

Rutgers really has me in a state of constant panic. Just let me know either way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. I’d like to be excited about the acceptances I’ve received so far (and I am!) but it’s hard. I’m pretty invested in the c18 faculty at Rutgers, so I think that’s why I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, stressbot3000 said:

@Rootbound @amphilanthus

When I talked to the receptionist at the general grad admissions office and explained the situation, he guessed that they were still “processing my application”

i know we have intel saying otherwise, and that he doesn’t know the specifics of the department, but I feel like it’s the only concrete lead we have to go on. they could have decided on the waitlist and not ordered it, you know? I do think it’s suspicious that we haven’t seen any waitlists on the board bc every year many get posted!

editing to say that you should take all this with a grain of salt bc I am an optimist to a fault and I always get burned 

Hi all, long time lurker here (just a Rutgers email away from a shutout this season!). Just wanted to say that I've also been ghosted by UVA: I emailed the Grad School and they said all they can tell me is my application is complete and that I'll receive a decision by email by April 1. Gaaahh. There seem to be so many of us who haven't heard that I'm reticent to believe it's a waitlist situation but I'm holding on to a tiny shred of hope. 

But anyways, knowing other people are in the same boat is keeping me sane at work this afternoon! Fingers crossed for all!

1 minute ago, dreampigeon said:

Hi all, long time lurker here (just a Rutgers email away from a shutout this season!). Just wanted to say that I've also been ghosted by UVA: I emailed the Grad School and they said all they can tell me is my application is complete and that I'll receive a decision by email by April 1. Gaaahh. There seem to be so many of us who haven't heard that I'm reticent to believe it's a waitlist situation but I'm holding on to a tiny shred of hope. 

But anyways, knowing other people are in the same boat is keeping me sane at work this afternoon! Fingers crossed for all!

welcome to UVA purgatory with us! thank you for the additional info! at least april 1st isn’t april 15th, I guess, haha. such a weird situation. and yes, fingers crossed for you too! hope some good news from Rutgers comes through for you shortly!

1 hour ago, Rootbound said:

Just wanted to register with both of you two as another member of the UVA mystery gang. I would have assumed it was an invisible waitlist if somebody hadn’t already said they called UVA and been informed that they had notified everyone on the waitlist....on the other hand, there are no UVA waitlists on the board, so who knows what delightful game they are playing. 

That makes at least 5 of us on the UVA mystery gang. Ugh. Maybe today! I just want to knooooow.

Edited by jillcicle

10 minutes ago, jillcicle said:

That makes at least 5 of us on the UVA mystery gang. Ugh. Maybe today! I just want to knooooow.

okay I know there’s more out there, but there’s five of us who have recently posted...and we’re trying to solve a mystery... does this make us the Scooby-Doo gang? extremely important question 

15 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

okay I know there’s more out there, but there’s five of us who have recently posted...and we’re trying to solve a mystery... does this make us the Scooby-Doo gang? extremely important question 

Definitely and also dibs on being Daphne. But like, edgier, who lectures Fred on his misogyny and why he isn't entitled to direct the group.

48 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

yeah are rejections coming in waves or something? not that i have high hopes since i'm 2a/5r/2i/2p rn

Yea I feel I am deluded for hoping given how this season has gone... but it's all that's left afterall.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, amphilanthus said:

Make that 6 (does that make me Scrappy-Doo?) although I’m calling it implied rejection at this point. 

Also, does anyone have a vague idea about Baylor?

2 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

yes! same boat! weird mix of super happy with my acceptance and a lot of complicated feelings around everything else, especially the sense of choice. glad to at least not be alone in the experience!

2 hours ago, stressbot3000 said:

@amphilanthus

Yes I am happy we are here to reality check each other! what a wild ride this is. I'm really happy with the program I've been accepted to, but I would love to have had a choice/some funding leverage...

Same boat here as well! Happy, but mixed feelings about having only one acceptance. Love the program I've been accepted to but would love to have a choice/funding leverage. I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 places (and whether I'll make it off UT's waitlist), but I'm not holding my breath for either tbh.

10 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

Yea I feel I am deluded for hoping given how this season has gone... but it's all that's left afterall.

it looks like in years past rejections went out before acceptances several days in advance? but it's also wild inconsistent. i'm losing my mind at work right now! there is truly no reason for me to get my hopes up but u g h 

2 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

it looks like in years past rejections went out before acceptances several days in advance? but it's also wild inconsistent. i'm losing my mind at work right now! there is truly no reason for me to get my hopes up but u g h 

Yea meanwhile its time to sleep because I work in the morning in Berlin... I imagine I will wake up to the news either way? I'll be hoping against the odds for us both.